HELP ! I think I messed up my system

Rahul_Arora_02

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2002
I have a NETGEAR 54Mbps Wireless Router at my home. The router's default access as shown on the bottom of the router is 192.168.0.1 . My main pc is directly connected to this router and the rest are connected via wireless.

I went to www.whatismyip.com and it showed me an address 24.141.xxx.xxx . I went to DOS and tried to ping a couple addresses and it said it lost all 4 packets.

I'm really worried. Is my setup ok? I can browse and do everything I've always wanted to do on the web but under ipconfig it says my address is 192.168.0.3 . I've tried releasing and renewing already.

Suggestions??

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
When you go to a site like that and see what your ip is it is going to give you the only ip it can see, the wan ip on your router. The 192.168.0.3 is an internal address and only machines on your network are going to see that. The router is a barrier between you and the outside world, all the world sees is that one ip so you can have as much as you want behind it.
What were you trying to ping? Some places will have ICMP turned off, ICMP is what gives the reply to a ping. If you are able to surf the web you are good to go internet wise :)

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>