Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia or ati cards???

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 3, 2011 3:33:38 AM

GTX460 / GTX470 / HD6870 / HD6850 ...which one should I get?

HD gives higher core clock but nvidia gives higher memory clock. which one is more important and why?

what should I look for, for good quality visual graphics and not performance? do i look at the pixel and texture specs?

ati or nvidia hmm....
ati has everyhing nvidia has except physx...but the questiono is do I need it?

More about : nvidia ati cards

January 3, 2011 3:56:57 AM

First off let me say I use Nvidia. Second let me say you probably won't need Physx. Many games seem to neglect it, though for the future its hard to say. As for Core Clock vs Memory Clock they both effect performance and I think you'll find a much better answer reading this than from me. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-beginners-...

Also I do own a GTX470 and am very happy with it.
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 80 Î Nvidia
January 3, 2011 4:00:50 AM

Actually, HD Radeons have higher core and memory clocks, but that's not really important, as there are many other factors to consider. They are designed to run differently.

I'd avoid the 470's as they are sort of the gimped Fermi version.

Between GTX460 and the 6850/70's, that becomes more of a personal preference.

The GTX460 does have PhysX, if you happen to have games with GPU accelerated PhysX ability, that would be a nice feature.

If you like AA a lot, the HD 6850/70 come with supersampling AA, which can make some games a lot better looking by not only smoothing out jaggies around objects, but all they way around. They also have the Morphological AA for games without AA options.

The GTX460 also overclocks very well, better than the 6850/70.

What does the rest of your system look like, and what resolution do you use?
Related resources
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 3, 2011 4:07:49 AM

There are only a handful of games that use GPU accelerated Physx to worthwhile effect and are also worth playing. I wouldn't use it as a deciding factor when choosing a video card.
Here is a performance chart that includes the cards you are considering at a high resolution;

a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2011 4:19:03 AM

You have to do the following things to get the card that is most suited for you:
1.Have a look at what parts you have(CPU, PSU and motherboard mainly) and see whether they hold back the card you are willing to get.

2.Have a good idea about your requirements(what sort of games you play, what monitor resolution you have etc.)

3.Decide whether you want the extra stuff like Eyefinity, PhysX, CUDA etc.

4.Decide your budget and whether or not you want to add another card for SLI or CrossFireX in the future.

5.Look up some reviews, and finally get the card that suits you the best.
January 3, 2011 4:39:24 AM

running intel core 2 duo e8400 on 3ghz
2x2gb ddr2
550w powersupply
ep45-ds4p motherboard

atm its between gtx470 and hd6870...heard the gtx470 uses more power and is louder than the hd6870. is it true?

price for these 2 where i'm getting it is about the same. going nuts over which one to get.

6870 higher clock speed, 470 higher memory speed. which one is more important for games such as call of duty black ops?
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 80 Î Nvidia
January 3, 2011 4:44:06 AM

The 6870 would be my vote. The 6870 has higher memory speed, it's just displayed differently, to compare, you divide the Nvidia by 4, or multiply the ATI one by 4.

I prefer the 6870 due to noisy and heat. That and the AA options are nice. The 470 does have PhysX in case it was important to you, however.
January 3, 2011 4:44:42 AM

I can't speak for the 6870 but when I max the fan speed on my 470 it does get loud, though I never need to max it to maintain good temps. At idle, 40% fan speed, I don't notice it and it only becomes actually noticeable at around 70-80% which is more than enough to keep my temps down for gaming of all kinds I've done so far. Everything from Call of Duty, to Metro 2033, and on. If your actually gaming, especially with head phones I seriously doubt you'd notice. Though the amount of fan speed you need to use may depend on what type of cooling you have in the rest of your case.
January 3, 2011 9:05:17 AM

argh still at odds on which one to get...if it helps I'm running currently nvidia 9500GT 1gb overclock. So should I stick with Nvidia and get a gtx470 and SLI with it when I get a new motherboard?

cause I don't know aynthing about manufacturers of ATI and which is good, but I do know more about Nvidia...

realy leaning to 6870 cause it seems to run with less lag from video game reviews with 6870 vs 470.

but it seems the graphics quality is less on 6870 than 470. thoughts?
January 3, 2011 9:30:04 AM

6870 is an attractive option over the gtx 470... for two reasons... one... it runs cooler... second... it draw less power... and 6870 is doing it both at lower prices...
but mind you... i'm know not everybody agree with me... but somehow amd has some flaws in designing their driver support to be updated with amd gpu... their driver is not as stable and reliable as nvidia ones... so if you gaming often... i think that also a factor to be considered right?
i suggest you wait some more time because later this month there will be new card in the shop... the gtx 560.... i think that card will be put on the line against hd 6870 in terms of price and performance.... wait for the review... it maybe the card that you're looking for...

my prediction on gtx 560...

- runs as fast as gtx 470 if not faster...
- runs lot cooler than gtx 470...
- cheaper than gtx 470....

is there a reason not to wait for gtx 560?? and no.. i don't think so.
January 3, 2011 9:40:18 AM

I'd go with the 6870. Not only is it newer than the GTX 470 (the 570 is already out!), but it also consumes less power and runs cooler. As phenom90 said, it also costs less than a GTX 470. I also agree with his advice not to wait for a GTX 560. It's just not worth it.
January 3, 2011 9:43:24 AM

Any one of these cards will be a HUGE jump from your 9500GT...like comparing a cheetah to a tortoise; the main issues are heat and power consumption, physx, price and the rest of your configuration (especially monitor resolution and CPU) as the other posters have mentioned above.
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 3, 2011 11:23:34 AM

phenom90 said:
but mind you... i'm know not everybody agree with me... but somehow amd has some flaws in designing their driver support to be updated with amd gpu... their driver is not as stable and reliable as nvidia ones... so if you gaming often... i think that also a factor to be considered right?

Have you actually used a reasonably current ATI/AMD card? If not you really shouldn't say stuff like this. I've never had any driver issues with either brand to be honest.
January 3, 2011 11:36:53 AM

AMD drivers are actually better than nVidia drivers in my opinion, because they include a built-in overclocking utility.
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 3, 2011 11:45:59 AM

Overdrive is useless to anyone who is serious about overclocking. If that is what you have been using I highly recommend DLing Afterburner.
In general I prefer the UI on Nvidia's control panel to CCC but it isn't a big deal.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 168 Î Nvidia
January 3, 2011 12:53:26 PM

Cs342 said:
AMD drivers are actually better than nVidia drivers in my opinion, because they include a built-in overclocking utility.

Do you not know of "NVIDIA System Tools with ESA Support" then? Nvidia's version of an OC'ing utility that does not have to be installed if you don't wish to use it, just like CCC doesn't (or at least it never used to have to be).
January 4, 2011 9:01:13 AM

i'm sorry cs342.. i think there is some misunderstanding here... what i mean here is if you are patient enough to buy a new video card... i think both gtx 560 and hd 6870 is worth to be considered... and gtx 560 is just around the corner... why not wait for a while and see what happen? just hold off your purchase for a few weeks then you can see which one is better..... if you often upgrading your video cards you can just ignore what i said... if otherwise you may want to have more choices don't you?
January 4, 2011 9:58:44 AM

You are never going to be comfortable with ATI drivers and nVIDIA temps and noise.
Each team has its own pros and cons but i would recommend a 6850 for you. Flash it to 6870 and you are good to go.
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 80 Î Nvidia
January 4, 2011 4:20:07 PM

namansingh said:
You are never going to be comfortable with ATI drivers and nVIDIA temps and noise.
Each team has its own pros and cons but i would recommend a 6850 for you. Flash it to 6870 and you are good to go.

I'm not sure that flash bios trick works with the 6850. That was a 6950 only deal as far as I'm aware.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 168 Î Nvidia
January 4, 2011 4:24:47 PM

bystander said:
I'm not sure that flash bios trick works with the 6850. That was a 6950 only deal as far as I'm aware.

You had to go and bust his bubble didn't ya! [:mousemonkey]
a c 536 U Graphics card
a c 331 Î Nvidia
January 4, 2011 10:49:06 PM

If you are able to find a GTX470 with aftermarket cooling, then that will negate your concerns about heat and noise. The Gigabyte SOC and MSI Twin Frozr II are very quiet and cool cards. If you are concerned about power consumption, then consider that the difference in your monthly electricity bill will amount to about 1 US dollar.

For performance, PhysX is a consideration and if you play any PhysX games. Then there is the fact that the GTX 470 does a better job with DirectX 11 tesselation and has better texture filtering.
January 5, 2011 12:14:04 PM

i dont get why some cards are much more expensive than the 6870 but have slower core and memory clock than 6870...! i just don't get it. how can a slower card get better 3d vantage scores than the 6870...and why doesn't it have shader clock in specifications???

anyway gonna get the hd6870 now just have to choose which one of hd6870 to get out of this list please help

a c 376 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 5, 2011 1:38:35 PM

myfunkychannel said:
i dont get why some cards are much more expensive than the 6870 but have slower core and memory clock than 6870...! i just don't get it. how can a slower card get better 3d vantage scores than the 6870...and why doesn't it have shader clock in specifications???

anyway gonna get the hd6870 now just have to choose which one of hd6870 to get out of this list please help

http://i54.tinypic.com/ouphdi.jpg

You do know that not all cards have the same processor right? What the processor actually consists of usually matters a lot more than the speed it is running at or how quickly it receives data.
I'd probably get the Sapphire.
a c 536 U Graphics card
a c 331 Î Nvidia
January 5, 2011 6:24:01 PM

MSI Twin Frozr.
!