Server System - Video Broadcasting puprose

ketrab

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
Hey,

So I'm looking for a small budget build server based system (MS2008), which will be use ONLY broadcasting media to the website. I'm thinking between $300-500 MAX. I know its not alot but thats what I have-probably used items will be added to cut the cost.

My main question would be what are the critical (most important) hardware parts for VIDEO SERVER. My guess would be CPU/RAM but please let me know.

Regards,
B

christiangordon

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
Do you currently have a website?
Do you currently have a hosting company?
Do you have a FTP?
Do you have limitations on your hosting company?
Do you have any hardware for this server?
Do you have any software for this server?

ketrab

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008

What is your bandwidth? - 30mb
Do you have a bandwidth limit per month? - No cap I believe
Do you know linux?- Not quite I would rather go with ms2008 - unless linux will be better for the long run. The problem is I wanted to use mms and windows player for my clients.
Do you have a Battery Backup?-not yet but thats easy to get one.

ketrab

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008

Will this server be streaming to 1 client at a time? if not how many? - this will be multicast probably udp "i guees" at first 10 clients at a time but I'm aiming between 600-1000 ppl at once
what resolution will the videos be? pc screens for now BUT I'm aiming to get it on set top box and hdtv
What quality will the videos be?-best possible if broadband needs to be raised thats no problem.

ketrab

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008

Do you currently have a website? - I do have a website
Do you currently have a hosting company? Yes, using hostgator for now
Do you have a FTP? w/ hostgator - could I create ftp on my server os?
Do you have limitations on your hosting company? - I don't have any limitations that I know off now.
Do you have any hardware for this server? Well-i'm doing all the tests now on my laptop via virtual pc :/
Do you have any software for this server- I'm not quite sure what you mean. I'm running server 2008 and currently working with windows media services to get it live.

This server will be streaming/ripping about 6 channels at once and than distribute them.

Thanks for your input - what you think?!?!