Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Red stndby light on mobo / possible ram fail?

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
February 8, 2012 11:16:54 PM

i'm a long time googler and have often found my way to threads on these boards in the years of my computer troubles, so i decided to register in order to seek a solution to my problem.

okay so this is what's up. i have an old desktop built back in like 2004 i got from my friend who had the local lan center build it for him. it's a piece of crap compared to computers now. 40 gig hard drive, half a gig of ram, and a perhaps faulty ati radeon card. now my problem is getting it to boot up successfully. for the first year i had it, it worked fine. soon after, i would be getting weird messages from my monitor going into power save mode. so i switched monitors (to a bigger one, too) and it stopped, but only for a short time. now when i go to boot it up i get one long beep followed very abruptly by too quick beeps, and my monitor wont even come on, so i don't even know if the computer successfully booted because i have no other monitor. for a few months i was able to get it to boot without issues by putting the ram into the third slot instead of the first.

i have no idea what the problem is here, as i'm not very good with hardware; i just stick to programming.

any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance, and i'm hoping i posted this in the right place.

Best solution

a b } Memory
February 8, 2012 11:40:19 PM

here is your answer graphic card http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm
February 9, 2012 12:06:30 AM

thanks for the quick reply. i was kind of hoping it would of been a memory problem, as i can afford some more ram...not a new video card lol.

thanks though again for the quick reply.
Score
Related resources
February 18, 2012 10:56:15 PM

Best answer selected by delanus.
Score
a c 146 } Memory
February 18, 2012 11:07:02 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!