Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How do I find out what processor is the right one for me

Last response: in CPUs
June 8, 2011 1:56:29 AM

Hello I'm starting to build my first computer and am needing help to find out what I should be looking for in a processor. Computer language is still a bit foreign to me so if you could explain in basic terms that would be helpful.

Thank you for your help

More about : find processor

a b à CPUs
June 8, 2011 2:21:36 AM

Which CPU you need depends on what the computer will be used for. Is this meant to be a PC for playing games, or for watching movies, or listening to music, or what? This greatly affects the processor choice.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2011 2:38:38 AM

Also, your budget. If you're willing to spend $1000+, you could build a gaming computer that will last significantly longer than an $800 one before becoming obsolete.
m
l
Related resources
June 8, 2011 11:43:37 AM

Which CPU you need depends on what the computer will be used for. Is this meant to be a PC for playing games, or for watching movies, or listening to music, or what? This greatly affects the processor choice.

Mainly the computer will be used for videos (making, editing) etc... but at the same time I don't want to be limited to what I can and can not do with it. My budget is roughly $1500 for the whole thing.
Thanks for the help. .
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
June 8, 2011 5:14:04 PM

Hi!
My advice is get the i5 2500k its the budget/performance king!
It rules supreme and if you want to Overclock you can easily overclock it to 4.5ghz with good HeaT Sink Fan of course.

June 8, 2011 7:08:41 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
Hi!
My advice is get the i5 2500k its the budget/performance king!
It rules supreme and if you want to Overclock you can easily overclock it to 4.5ghz with good HeaT Sink Fan of course.

I agree.
m
l
a c 473 à CPUs
June 8, 2011 7:42:48 PM

If you are going to be making, editing, encoding videos, then I would suggest the i7 2600k. Just research the programs you will be using to find out if Hyper Threading technology is supported.

If I were to upgrade my current PC now I would get the i7 2600k for improve video encoding performance.

Games do not take advantage of Hyper Threading. Well... except maybe Resident Evil 5...
m
l
June 18, 2011 12:03:52 AM

Best answer selected by cesmith01.
m
l
!