Sign in with
Your question

No hard disk is detected new custom build

Last response: in Systems
March 8, 2011 8:06:55 PM

Hello, was curious if anyone could help. just bought a new asus p8p67- m pro, i5 2500k and was swapping the old parts for these in my system, upon booting the computer it goes no hard disk is detected and then windows appears to start but then a blue screen appears and the computer restarts. the hard drive is from my old system and has windows 7 on it along with all my games and etc. thank you if you can help.
March 8, 2011 8:33:12 PM

You have to do a clean Windows install with a new motherboard/processor.
March 8, 2011 9:14:31 PM

This might sound silly but how would i go about doing that? Also, does that mean i will loose all the content on the hard drive?
Related resources
March 9, 2011 12:58:27 AM

Yes a clean install will delete all the data & programs currently on you old hard disk.

You can't save your old programs....

But, if you buy a new (or have a second hard disk) you can do a clean install on that second drive (contents of this second drive will be LOST). Then once you have the system up and running you can install your old system's boot drive and Copy all of the data ONLY off the that drive onto your new boot drive.

March 9, 2011 1:20:10 AM

ryan_22 said:
Hello, was curious if anyone could help. just bought a new asus p8p67- m pro, i5 2500k and was swapping the old parts for these in my system, upon booting the computer it goes no hard disk is detected and then windows appears to start but then a blue screen appears and the computer restarts. the hard drive is from my old system and has windows 7 on it along with all my games and etc. thank you if you can help.
If you're looking for a complete answer, I have one.

First of all, the "No Disk Detected" message is from a second or third drive controller that has its own boot BIOS. If you're not using that controller, you can disable it in BIOS to get rid of the message.

Second, the reboot thing is most likely being caused by the new motherboard defaulting to AHCI mode where the old board used IDE mode. You can change that in BIOS too. You might even be able to get through a full boot process and have Windows detect and install the new hardware.

If the motherboard you were using is substantially similar to the one you're using now, you really don't need to do a clean Windows installation. Substantially similar includes an upgrade from P55 to P67.
March 9, 2011 10:50:58 AM

First off thanks for all the replys, i managed to solve the problem because the hard drive was originally in a acer pc and had the option to restore to facory settings which i did.

However, i now face a new problem. I think all the drivers to the original motherboard are installed on to the hardrive as well as the new ones from the instalation disk from the new one. i seem to be having quite a lot of difficulty acessing the net. It appears that i am connected, if i look on network connections its all good. However, when i try to use internet explorer, it comes up with the screen to diagnose connection problems and i am unable to browse online.

Again thanks for any help that can be provided
March 9, 2011 3:36:00 PM

ryan_22 said:
First off thanks for all the replys, i managed to solve the problem because the hard drive was originally in a acer pc and had the option to restore to facory settings which i did.

However, i now face a new problem. I think all the drivers to the original motherboard are installed on to the hardrive as well as the new ones from the instalation disk from the new one. i seem to be having quite a lot of difficulty acessing the net. It appears that i am connected, if i look on network connections its all good. However, when i try to use internet explorer, it comes up with the screen to diagnose connection problems and i am unable to browse online.

Again thanks for any help that can be provided
If you think it's due to network device drivers, try removing all network devices from device manager and letting the system reinstall them.
March 9, 2011 11:52:17 PM

Sorry, you will continue to suffer "un-explained" performance problems, crashes, and pain unless you do a Clean install.....when you move to new hardware.

Pay now or continue to pay later.....

Just migrate your data and move forward.

Also, DON'T do a clean install on a OLD hard disk (one that's more that 3 or so years old). Hard drives tend to last 3 to 5 years so, doing a new build on an older drive is just asking for trouble just a little way down the road (and, a do over again)

!