Marvell 88se9172 vs z68

Status
Not open for further replies.

kikiking

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
marvell 88se9172 or intel sata 6gb? for a ocz max iops vertex III SSD?

This SSD also supports trim support, but for now it is not in raid it is single as primary boot disk, so I want to ask, which is better the intel or the marvell 88se9172 to use?

Solution
Since you do have both Intel and Marvell you could do a benchmark on each one and see if by some chance one is better than the other. It won't mess anything up by unpluging from one and pluging into the other , that way you could see for yourself if there is any difference. Just because you were to plug it into the marvell port doesn't mean it's perminent.
I would use the Intel sata3 for a raid connection and the Marvell for just a single SSD connection. When using a single SSD there is not that much difference between the Intel and the marvell. The thing is that the Marvell chip is just there to run the sata3 ports and the Intel is running from the south bridge which does have other things it is running.

kikiking

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
So the marvel will show 4k random read and writes, that are better than the intel controller?

I really hope there is improvement to it and I can get over 400mbs on the marvel. But I am guess single intel would not be better :).

Since you do have both Intel and Marvell you could do a benchmark on each one and see if by some chance one is better than the other. It won't mess anything up by unpluging from one and pluging into the other , that way you could see for yourself if there is any difference. Just because you were to plug it into the marvell port doesn't mean it's perminent.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.