Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrade advice needed.

Last response: in Systems
March 8, 2011 8:11:05 PM

Hey everyone,

I built my machine through the help of this forum 3 years ago. It has worked very well for me but recently I have noticed some lag and freezing issues when playing video games. I guess it is time to upgrade.

I'm not sure if this machine is worth upgrading or if I should just make something new. I will list my parts and let you guys decide because I don't really know.

Anyway here are my parts:

Asus P5Q-Pro Mobo
Intel E8400 CPU
G-Skill PC2-8000 4 Gig ram
Corsair TX650 PSU
ATI Radeon HD 4800

I was hoping a new video card alone might be all I need to upgrade, but with the way technology moves now, maybe I need a new mobo, chip, and vid card. I'm hoping my ram and power supply can stay.

Thanks for your time guys!

More about : upgrade advice needed

a b B Homebuilt system
March 9, 2011 9:38:46 AM

It will really depend on the game/s u play - majority still dun leverage on > 2 cores but could be a single GPU upgrade would be the best overall move and perhaps review platform/overhaul come June?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 9, 2011 9:51:14 AM

Llooks like your machine has some life left in it. I dropped my dual core within the past 2 years though that might not be your problem. What games and at what res are you playing ? Could be time for a new card. And how much vram on the card ?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
March 9, 2011 11:31:29 AM

tgznyc said:
I'm not sure if this machine is worth upgrading or if I should just make something new. I will list my parts and let you guys decide because I don't really know.

Anyway here are my parts:

Asus P5Q-Pro Mobo
Intel E8400 CPU
G-Skill PC2-8000 4 Gig ram
Corsair TX650 PSU
ATI Radeon HD 4800

I was hoping a new video card alone might be all I need to upgrade, but with the way technology moves now, maybe I need a new mobo, chip, and vid card. I'm hoping my ram and power supply can stay.

If you do decide to go the full upgrade path, you may be able to keep your PSU as it is a good one. However, most new motherboards and CPU require DDR3 ram, and depending on CPU, triple channel for maximum performance. :bounce: 
m
l
March 9, 2011 12:08:11 PM

swifty_morgan said:
Llooks like your machine has some life left in it. I dropped my dual core within the past 2 years though that might not be your problem. What games and at what res are you playing ? Could be time for a new card. And how much vram on the card ?

I am mainly playing WoW and have been having some issues there recently whereas I never used to. I also started playing DA2 which is not running that great.

Card has 512mb on it.

If I just upgrade my card which one do you think I should get? Maybe I should get something really good that will continue being good even when I upgrade the rest of my machine.

Also, how much do you guys think I will be looking at paying for a new mobo, cpu, and dd3 ram that will run most of the newer games without issues?
m
l
March 9, 2011 12:51:24 PM

how much are you looking to spend on the card?
m
l
March 9, 2011 1:04:34 PM

Haven't really thought about pricing. I was hoping there was a popular card that was a good deal being used now by a lot of people. Every time I come to this forum there always seem to be specific items that are favored by a lot of people due to their performance and great cost.

That being said it doesn't have to be cheap but I dont want to spend an arm and a leg either.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 9, 2011 1:49:25 PM

tgznyc said:
Haven't really thought about pricing. I was hoping there was a popular card that was a good deal being used now by a lot of people. Every time I come to this forum there always seem to be specific items that are favored by a lot of people due to their performance and great cost.

That being said it doesn't have to be cheap but I dont want to spend an arm and a leg either.

Here is a decent system complete for $500:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-overcloc...

actually cheaper, if you use your current PSU... :D 
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
March 9, 2011 6:27:57 PM

a GTX560 would be a real upgrade from what you have. The 512 memory on the 4870 is holding you back. I used to have one. A little early to suggest an update on hardware. The new intel chipset just started coming out on the net and mobo's ( B3 ) are few and far between. patience.
March 10, 2011 9:48:13 AM

Best answer selected by tgznyc.
m
l
March 10, 2011 9:48:39 AM

Thank you. I'll get the new card and when the newer cpu's and mobo's come out I will upgrade.
m
l
March 10, 2011 9:52:34 AM

I probably wont be upgrading the rest of my machine for a while if this card works well, but what cpu and mobo should I be looking out for?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 10, 2011 2:43:31 PM

At this point in time, because I don't know what AMD's next stuff will do, I'd go for the socket 1155 "K" series. Non "K" if I wasn't thinking of pushing my system beyond stock. Big savings right there for a processor. By the time you decide to upgrade things might change a lot. Anyways, what ever you decide to do will totally obliterate what you have now........... then that new video card will be your "bottleneck" so to speak.
m
l
March 10, 2011 10:48:41 PM

Well if that is the case hopefully this video card will give me another 1-2 years of life with this box, and then I will probably just build the computer I have been thinking about for a long time. Something water cooled and bad ass. :) 
m
l
!