PCI Express 3.0

topgun505

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2007
I was in the process of building a new mid-range gaming rig. Nothing fancy. Probably not overclocking nor liquid cooling and maybe not even SLI. When I first spec'd it out I was thinking of a GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 motherboard but I went back recently and did a look to see if there are other components which might be better and I noticed that some video cards and motherboards now have PCI Express 3.0 so I started looking at boards and video cards that would support them and I found the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3.

I was wondering ... what is your opinion on PCI Express 3.0? For a mid-range rig that will probably have a single video card ... is going to PCI Express 3.0 going to be worth it? This rig will be connected to a 28" LCD running at the recommended res 1900 x 1200.

It doesn't matter at all. No graphics hardware that currently exists can max out a PCIe 2.0 x8 slot, which is what you'd be running on with two cards in SLI on any decent motherboard. With just one card you'd have 16 lanes of PCI 2.0, twice the bandwidth. I recommend the Z68X-UD3H-B3.

You should plan for SLI in the future. Get a PSU and processor that can handle it.

Overclock. It's easy and safe. If you're on this kind of budget, get a 2500K and leave it on an easy 4.0ghz until you get another card. Bump it up to 4.3 then, and in a few years, when it starts to feel outdated, go to at least 4.5ghz (whatever you can get without messing with voltage).

topgun505

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2007
Those two gigabyte boards are just about identical. In functionality and in price and even in the positives and negatives in the reviews/ratings. Any particular reason why you suggest the Z68X-UD3H over the Z68XP-UD3? Just curious.

Would a 650w psu be enough for one of those boards + a core i7 3.4ghz cpu + GTX 560 card?

Oh, they are? I thought the XP was more expensive for some reason.
The Z68XP-UD3 has more ports, but the Z68X-UD3H looks badass. Are you going to use more than 6 back-panel USB ports? No. Get the sweet black one, IMO.

Go 2500K for sure. In gaming, it's basically the same as the 2600K, and you can save a bunch of money.
Get a PSU that can handle two of whatever graphics card you're going to get. If that's a 560 Ti (and it should be, or better; the 560 Ti 448 is a heck of an overclocker and, as a result, a great value at ~$290), get a 750W unit.
This XFX is great: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207016
And this OCZ is cheaper but less efficient: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341049