A little help with motherboard selection

Hey guys,
thanks in advance for your help. so recently i moved back to america from south korea and unfortunately during the move my desktop computer stopped working. i'm pretty sure it's the motherboard. my cpu is already 2.5 years old so i thought i'd update both at the same time and get a new psu. i want to get the "phenom II x4 955 black edition" cpu because it's within my price range. i was wondering what is a good motherboard to go with it - i currently have:
Visiontek Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCIe
2x 2 gigmemory CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
and two hard drives of 400 and 600 gigs
i would like to have 4 ram slots and be able to crossfire for future upgrades.
any suggestsions on what a good motherboard would be and also if it's not too much trouble a psu
i would like a MB that isn't that expensive hopefully just over the 100 dollar mark if over at all.

thank you
21 answers Last reply
More about motherboard selection
  1. just a little help please haha
  2. There are 4 models of "phenom II x4 black edition", which one are you considering?
  3. sorry i forgot to add that part the 955. sorry
  4. Digging around a bit now for some stuff to recommend, but one thing that immediately jumps out at me is that if you upgrade to a Phenom II X4 Black Edition that's an AM3 socket chip... those motherboards wouldn't want your DDR2 RAM.

    So you're likely in for
    CPU
    Motherboard
    RAM
    (and maybe) Power Supply

    What's your budget?

    Also, what does your PC do (or not do)... just in case it is something that we can help you troubleshoot.
  5. There aren't that many motherboards left that support DDR2 RAM and the only one I could find that would support Crossfire is the ASRock A770DE+; the problem is that the 2nd PCI-e slot is only x4, not x8 se XFire performance would degrade.
  6. What PSU did you have? I would either suggest a COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 or Antec BP550 Plus; they probably won't support crossfire, but I don't think it would be an option on the board I suggested.
  7. my computer's problem is that nothing happens. haha. i push the button and nothing happens for it to turn on. i checked all connections to motherboard from the button and to the psu. thanks for any help...

    "Digging around a bit now for some stuff to recommend, but one thing that immediately jumps out at me is that if you upgrade to a Phenom II X4 Black Edition that's an AM3 socket chip... those motherboards wouldn't want your DDR2 RAM.

    So you're likely in for
    CPU
    Motherboard
    RAM
    (and maybe) Power Supply

    What's your budget?

    Also, what does your PC do (or not do)... just in case it is something that we can help you troubleshoot."

    oh so i need new ram too?

    i was hoping to get out of this not spending but if i can't then i can't...
  8. Ok let's try this:

    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX
    $139 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808

    ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
    $90 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157198

    Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model 996768
    $43 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226092

    XFX Core Edition PRO650W (P1-650S-CAB9) 650W ATX12V v2.2 & ESP12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
    $90
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207010
    (edit) JB found a better PS deal so I changed to that below

    CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
    $80 (w/ promo code 'EMCKGKB22' and mail in rebate)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006


    (you can get a cheaper power supply, but if you go w/ two 6870's later you would need at least 600w and four 6-pin PCI connectors, this was the cheapest I could find w/ that)

    Total $352


    I'd also like to put together an Intel build for the sake of comparison, but I wanted to know if this was an ok total or if we should be trying to lower it.
  9. The MB I suggested, the ASRock A770DE+, is cheap and would support the DDR2 AND the 955 BE, but the XFire won't be great; it's a decision to make.
  10. Oh, also need to know if your existing drives are IDE or SATA.
    I don't think the Mobo I recommended has IDE ports.
  11. I prefer ASUS so this one let's you go NVidia or ATI with dual cards...

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131637


    While this one is ATI only (for dual cards...)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007625%2050001315%20600007943&IsNodeId=1&name=AM3


    As far as power supplies, Corsair makes some nice supplies. I'd use a 750 or 850 for you future dual card needs. This 750 is on sale: $79 after rebate..

    http://promotions.newegg.com/neemail/mar-0-2011/mardi08/index-landing.html?nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL030811&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL030811-_-EMC-030811-Index-_-E0A-_-PSU
  12. CopaMundial said:
    Ok let's try this:

    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX
    $139 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808

    ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
    $90 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157198

    Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model 996768
    $43 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226092

    XFX Core Edition PRO650W (P1-650S-CAB9) 650W ATX12V v2.2 & ESP12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
    $90
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207010
    (edit) JB found a better PS deal so I changed to that below

    CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
    $80 (w/ promo code 'EMCKGKB22' and mail in rebate)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006


    (you can get a cheaper power supply, but if you go w/ two 6870's later you would need at least 600w and four 6-pin PCI connectors, this was the cheapest I could find w/ that)

    Total $352


    I'd also like to put together an Intel build for the sake of comparison, but I wanted to know if this was an ok total or if we should be trying to lower it.


    that seems good i wouldn't want to go much higher and any cheaper if possible would be nice. would you say there is any reason to future proof myself for the second 6870? or should i just plan on replacing the single card in a couple of years? because if i decided to not future proof thinking about crossfire the motherboard would be cheaper right?
    thanks for all your help
  13. Zenthar said:
    The MB I suggested, the ASRock A770DE+, is cheap and would support the DDR2 AND the 955 BE, but the XFire won't be great; it's a decision to make.


    does this motherboard support ddr3 for future upgrades?
  14. my hard drives are sata
  15. Here is the same build with optional components to show where you could save $ if you don't try for x-fire support.

    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX
    $139 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808

    Motherboard
    Supports X-fire
    ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
    $90
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157198

    No X-fire support
    GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
    $69
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128451
    (note you also lose SATAIII and USB3.0 in that swap too, but no big deal)

    RAM
    Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model 996768
    $43 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226092

    PSU
    Supports X-fire
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
    $80
    (w/ promo code 'EMCKGKB22' and mail in rebate)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

    No X-fire support
    CORSAIR Builder Series CMPSU-600CX 600W ATX12V v2.3 Active PFC Power Supply
    $60 (after rebate)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139019

    Total w/ Crossfire support = $352
    Total w/o Crossfire support = $311

    You could go a lower by getting an even lower spec motherboard that would allow you to re-use your RAM. But if you put DDR2 800 RAM in front of an X4 955 processor then you're wasting your CPU dollars IMO.
  16. wow that's really really helpful thanks a lot for breaking it down like that. what is your opinion on future proofing with xfire? think it's worth it or should i just plan on replacing the video card when it comes time rather than going 1) video card, 2) cross fire video card, 3) newest good video card. Keeping in mind that i dono't really need top graphics just able to play the newer games fluidly without much of a problem on medium graphics or even low
  17. supergod said:
    wow that's really really helpful thanks a lot for breaking it down like that. what is your opinion on future proofing with xfire?


    In general I think it's a good idea to have foundation prepared that would allow for X-fire/SLI so that you can decide later.
    In your situation I think it would depend on your existing case. It takes a decent amount of air flow to keep 2 video cards cool. If your case is hot, or loud, at all now then a 2nd video card wouldn't work in there.
    Aside from the question of the case I would go for X-fire support since it's only $41 diff in this example... but then again, it's your $41 so not surprising that I'm so willing to spend it. :lol:
  18. oh good point about my case...i didn't even think about that. i can barely fit one 6870 into it so perhaps fitting two would be hard. can you tell me if the psu (and everything else) you recommended will fit into this case:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129018&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-N82E16811129018

    i appreciate all your help
  19. Everything listed would work fine in that Antec Solo case.
    But you probably shouldn't put a second video card in that case. Not enough airflow.
  20. thanks a lot for your help. i appreciate it.
  21. An Antec Solo is designed for small, quiet desktop computers. I've built a few systems for that purpose in that case. I would Highly advise not trying to do dual GPU's in that case. Space is tight, it's a top mounted power supply, there are no top exhaust fans, there is only space for a small front intake fan.....

    The Corsair, or Cooler Master HAF cases are all far better choice for dual GPUs....
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Motherboards Systems Product