Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Blue screens because of cpu (i think)

Last response: in CPUs
Share
June 8, 2011 4:11:56 AM

Ive recently been getting blue screens like maybe once a week, my cpu is an i5 760 oced to 3.8ghz, ive just ran prime95 and it said this on worker 1 and 3

Worker 1

FATAL ERROR: Resulting sum was 2348197254650.738, expected: 16621720860119.84
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

Worker 2

FATAL ERROR: Resulting sum was 1.200243777314859e+016, expected: 1.294230288999533e+016
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

They both said this on the 560000 FFT 10k test.

I cant find any stress.txt file all i have is local,prime,results and they just say what ive posted above. The reason why i think the bsods are the cpu is because a mini dump file said something about processor. Im not sure if i need to higher my cpu voltage (even though this never use to happen when i first oced).

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

More about : blue screens cpu

Best solution

June 8, 2011 4:17:54 AM

Is that a 1 GHz overclock?

Set your CPU clock back to stock. If you don't get the same errors then it is your CPU and your OC isn't quite stable at 3.8 GHz. Either back it off to 3.6 or try upping the voltage. I don't know much about Intel OC...
Share
June 8, 2011 4:19:31 AM

eightdrunkengods said:
Is that a 1 GHz overclock?

Set your CPU clock back to stock. If you don't get the same errors then it is your CPU and your OC isn't quite stable at 3.8 GHz. Either back it off to 3.6 or try upping the voltage. I don't know much about Intel OC...


Yea 1ghz overclock, the problem with setting my cpu to stock is the blue screen might not happen for a week and i really dont want to run on stock for a week ;p
m
0
l
Related resources
June 8, 2011 4:23:11 AM

Hehe. I completely understand. Having an "almost stable" system is worse in some ways than a "not stable" system. It looks like prime95 as a stability test is working for you. How long does it take for prime to show an error for you?
m
0
l
June 8, 2011 6:57:01 AM

eightdrunkengods said:
Hehe. I completely understand. Having an "almost stable" system is worse in some ways than a "not stable" system. It looks like prime95 as a stability test is working for you. How long does it take for prime to show an error for you?


41 minutes on worker 1 and 32 minutes on worker 3. I dont get why its only started happening the last month, i havent changed anything that would cause this.
m
0
l
June 8, 2011 7:03:50 AM

Just done another prime95 with small FTTs and after 3 minutes

Worker 1
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
m
0
l
a c 106 à CPUs
June 8, 2011 8:51:18 AM

Back off the oc until prime is stable and then add a little more voltage and mhz.
m
0
l
a c 119 à CPUs
June 8, 2011 9:23:52 AM

turn down the oc like every 1 has suggested.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2011 10:08:16 AM

YOu might also try some quality thermal paste, Arctic Silver, etc...; perhaps the last batch has partially dried on parts of the heat shield....
m
0
l
June 8, 2011 1:23:14 PM

Ive upped the voltage, if this doesnt work ill go back to stock settings.
m
0
l
June 8, 2011 2:12:08 PM

Still the same problem with a little higher voltage, now im using stock and if it does the same then what do i do? I dont get how ive never had this problem before, i havent changed any OC settings and this happens?
m
0
l
June 8, 2011 2:58:09 PM

Seems fine at stock settings but i still dont understand why its decided not to work with my overclock settings recently :s
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2011 3:04:17 PM

I havent OC a intel cpu as of late.I was wondering do you OC the RAM?
m
0
l
June 8, 2011 3:08:14 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
I havent OC a intel cpu as of late.I was wondering do you OC the RAM?

my ram is corsair 1600 set to 1440mhz
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2011 3:11:29 PM

If i remember that the Ram should be downclocked to make way for overclocking because the memory controller also be controlled by the Base clocks.And i think that your ram might not have been adjusted.
Just a guess.I only have been OC AMD CPUS.You could tell me if i am wrong.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2011 3:17:09 PM

You could try OCCT.Prime is not as good.
Using OCCT for 1 hour is like using prime95 for 24hours.
m
0
l
June 8, 2011 4:46:57 PM

How long have you been running your OC? What are your temperatures? It could just be the onset of summer raising your ambient temp...
m
0
l
June 8, 2011 4:50:52 PM

eightdrunkengods said:
How long have you been running your OC? What are your temperatures? It could just be the onset of summer raising your ambient temp...


Been running this OC since november pretty much and prime95 never failed on previous tests. My cpu temp goes to like 57-60c when using prime95 which is near enough what its always been.

Ive reset bios and redone my OC, done another prime95 test and core 1 failed with the fatal error sum thing again, core 3 passed this time though.
m
0
l
June 8, 2011 5:12:00 PM

So something clearly changed. Your OC was stable for almost 8 months. You didn't install more RAM or switch out RAM or anything, did you?

If nothing else: processors do degrade over time. Overclocking accelerates this and a 1 GHz OC is a pretty intense OC to be maintaining for 8 months. You might not be able to get it stable at 3.8 GHz again. :( 

Are you playing with any other voltages? I do not know how to OC an Intel but you might have to also bump your Northbridge voltage (or something?) in order to get your OC stable. This is often necessary for AM3 OC depending on how high the OC is.
m
0
l
June 8, 2011 5:20:39 PM

eightdrunkengods said:
So something clearly changed. Your OC was stable for almost 8 months. You didn't install more RAM or switch out RAM or anything, did you?

If nothing else: processors do degrade over time. Overclocking accelerates this and a 1 GHz OC is a pretty intense OC to be maintaining for 8 months. You might not be able to get it stable at 3.8 GHz again. :( 

Are you playing with any other voltages? I do not know how to OC an Intel but you might have to also bump your Northbridge voltage (or something?) in order to get your OC stable. This is often necessary for AM3 OC depending on how high the OC is.


The only hardware ive changed recently is my graphics card which was about 1 month ago i think. Ive seen other people running their i5 760 at 4.4ghz with no problems, i do understand each chip is different but i dont want to believe my chip cant run at 3.8ghz :D 

My voltages which i havent changed.
http://www.filesonic.com/sonic-preview/555001
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2011 5:25:26 PM

MadCatz900 said:
The only hardware ive changed recently is my graphics card which was about 1 month ago i think. Ive seen other people running their i5 760 at 4.4ghz with no problems, i do understand each chip is different but i dont want to believe my chip cant run at 3.8ghz :D 

My voltages which i havent changed.
http://www.filesonic.com/sonic-preview/555001

Hi Madcatz900!
You would get better replies if you were to start a thread in the Overclocking Section of THF!
m
0
l
June 8, 2011 6:12:01 PM

Right i upped the vcore from 1.25 to 1.3 and the 560000 FTT test that usually kills core 1 and 3 has passed now. Its strange that i need a higher voltage than i usually use to keep it stable now, anyone with any explanations? :D 

Thanks.
m
0
l
June 15, 2011 12:04:35 AM

Best answer selected by MadCatz900.
m
0
l
!