Firelance

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Hello all. I am wondering what RAM I should get for my new computer. I have a Windows 7 64bit. Should I get at least 8GB sticks? If 8GB is good enough, can anyone recommend me some? Price range is not a concern since it is cheap nowadays.

It would be a good idea to post the spec's of your computer so we can see what you have so far. Also what the computer will be used for.

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
$49.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345

Without knowing much more then what you have posted so far I would say that this ram would be a good choice.

Firelance

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I was going to post but for some reason I forgot. My bad. My main reason is gaming along with Photoshop and Sony Vegas.

i5 2500k 3.3GHz
Maximums IV Gene-Z/GEN 3 LGA 1155
HAF 932 Advanced
HX750W
EVGA 570

As for now that is my current build. I am still getting advice whether a SSD is right for me and some fans, but I won't go off topic too much. Mainly for gaming. I hear 16GB is a overkill. Daily use of Photoshop/Video editing as well.

Thanks.

What do u do with your PC? Gaming only? - get 8GB

If u edit video, play with 3D, audio and other creative tasks, u will benefit from 16GB and more.

Anyway, there is never enough RAM, if u have 8GB or less. I run out of the RAM just browsing the net(research) when I open 350+ tabs it takes easily 10GB RAM.

So get 16GB and be done with it. Its the cheapest quality part u can buy. Its cheap!

It can only help. [:hunter315:1]

And if u do daily Photoshop/Video editing it would be ... Not the smartest thing to do.

Get 16GB and u will benefit from 16GB RAM. Not to mention to use 4GB as a RAM disc.

I use CS5 daily too.

If the budget allows it I would get the SSD for the OS it would make a difference.

Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F90GBGT-BK 2.5" 90GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$149.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233205

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B
$89.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145347

Seagate Barracuda Green ST1500DL003 1.5TB 5900 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$119.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148725

Here are some parts that you can look at and decide if you want them in your computer. The 90gb SSD could be for the OS and the 16gb of ram is cheap enough in case you need it for video editing and the hdd is also a good size and price.

[fixed]I hear 16GB is a overkill. [/fixed]

Who ever told u this is just new to the PC world, if he has no idea how to take advantage of more RAM.

Probably some kid that thinks u can use the PC for gaming only : )

If u take that argument, than u can take this one as well.

Why do u think mobo makers are making mobos up to 64GB RAM.

Firelance

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Thanks so much for the replies nikorr. Really clears things up. For sure I will be going with 16GB RAM. Would you recommend the Vengeance ones with the big heat spreads? As for the SSD, I am still confused on it. It is just like a normal hard drive, but faster? I got two normal hard drives I use now, both 596GB. They are good, and I plan to use them in my new computer. Could I just install my OS on the SSD and my games/everything else on my hard drive?

I don't know if someone should move this to a general section or something. My RAM question is answered, now I need help on other things. Thanks.

It is only cosmetic feature : )
I recommend CORSAIR Vengeance, quality RAM and low profile with XMP profile. And if u will get an aftermarket CPU cooler, low profile is the worry free remedy with perfect fit with any large cooler.

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233196

[fixed]As for the SSD, I am still confused on it. It is just like a normal hard drive, but faster? I got two normal hard drives I use now, both 596GB.

They are good, and I plan to use them in my new computer. Could I just install my OS on the SSD and my games/everything else on my hard drive? [/fixed]

Firelance, SSD is like HDD, but it is filled with RAM and non moving parts. The seek is immediate, so when on your HDD file is fragmented, the HDD have to look up all the parts of that file mechanically, while SSD does not.

So if u start any program, like the office, it is done in 2 sec vs HDD takes on in 10 or more sec. Photoshop is up in 3sec, HDD 10 or more.

Open 150 tabs or close them or bookmark them is instant. Boot is about 13 sec on my PC, HDD was about 35 or more.

Shut down is instant. And I still have SATA2 Vertex2.

If u copy or paste many files SSD beats the HDD to the ground.

It is the best upgrade u can do, especially on older PC's.

And yes, use the SSD for the system and the installed programs. Mine is 60GB only.

It is always good to move the documents folder off the system drive in case or corruption of the system, so u don't loose any data and just reload the back up copy and be in business in no time : )

This is how I part the PC ...

SSD - W7 + all the programs + page file

HDD - partition 1 @60GB - photos, project and other files up to 5MB + Document folder
HDD - partition 2 @100GB - music, and other files up to 30MB/per file.
HDD - partition 3 @ whats left for files 30MB> videos and other files

To have a partitions, is to separate the system from the Doc. files, so in the case of corruption on the system drive, u don't loose the files, so that's the main reason to partition.

If u separate the small files from large ones, the fragmentation is small and it is easy to keep it de-fragmented.

Move Your Libraries off of the system drive...
http://www.tweakhound.com/windows7/tweaking/5.html