Sandybridge Build : Buy now vs. Buy later?

I current run an old P4 2.4ghz that I bought sometime in 2001(?)

Needless to say I am growing tired of playing web-based games and am considering a new build.

From what I can tell there is a lot of excitement over the current Sandybridge offerings as they seem to offer great performance value on a reasonable budget.

I was thinking about jumping in with something similar to the dozens of posts in this forum.

Mobo:AsRock P67
GPP: 560ti(OC)
RAM: 8gb(@1600)
SSD: 64g
HD: 1G Samsung + Windows Combo
Case/Cooler: Undetermined

These systems seem to be running at roughly $1500 depending on the selected parts.

However, looking ahead. A lot of the games that I'll truly be interested in playing seem to have late 2011 release dates (BF3,Elder Scrolls 5,etc.)

Since I've been out of the game so long I have no idea how the market works for these parts. How much would a $1500 build now cost 9 months from now in November? What is the case for waiting? If I were to wait 6 months would my value still be in getting a Sandybridge based build at a lower cost or new tech at something similar to today's value tech?

My current system is obviously horrible but I've been getting on fine with basic web,office applications so am in no massive rush.

But I'd like to scratch the itch but would like to know a little more how prices deflate over time.

Thanks in advance.
10 answers Last reply
More about sandybridge build later
  1. I'd say $100 or $150...maybe $200 less max. Its really hard to predict cause technology changes so fast and the pricing as well. by the way, for gaming stick with the i5-2500k as the i7 offers no advantage in gaming. What you do is completely up to you, what makes you happy. Come 6 months from now you'll be in the same position, new tech will have come out and you'll debate on weather to buy it then or later, so be decisive and dont get caught in that trap that a lot of people create for them self.
  2. Check out my build in my siggy, the 1000$ one would fit you the best deal switch it out for a 560 Ti and add another 560 Ti and the total will come to about 1200$.
  3. If u paying/spending good money:

    Since peeps been waiting this long for the top end i suggest for healthier/fatter budgets to
    1. Await Z68 chipsets, Zambezi AM3+ on platform front
    2. Await HD 6990/GTX 590 on the GPU front
    3. Await the Sandforce SATA 6GB/s SSDs to hit retailers :P

    These would be at most 2-3 mths away...
  4. ^+1

    All of the good stuff is coming in the next 6 months. I'd wait for that, especially because you'll have the budget for it.
  5. What do you guys think of aznshinobi's signature builds... and are these available right now? I see some 1155 boards coming out. Does that mean I can finally build a pc with Sandy Bridge?
  6. Thanks for the responses everyone.

    Can anyone else confirm that a $150-$200 drop would be about right on a current sandy bridge build purchased 6 months from now? If so - that's not too much and I might as well buy today!
  7. I would image for this build you would be looking at about $75-125 price drop over the next 4-6 months.
  8. ^ Not even. Intel never drops price on CPUs the 775 socket CPUs are proof of that. There won't be any GPUs releasing within that time of the lower end other than the 550 Ti (I believe that's the name) and in which case prices wouldn't drop that much either. The GTX 590 and 6990 are all high-end those wouldn't effect the mid range either.
  9. Yeah, I wouldn't expect a price drop either. The only recent price drops were Intel's i7-900s almost a year after they came out, but that was so they could phase out the older models.
  10. I applaud you for still having a p4. I bought my p4 I think in 2003 and still use it as my bedroom media center - playing sins of the solar empire and watching hd.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Sandy Bridge Systems