My first build. ~900

Kikoku

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: 5-10days

Budget Range: ~900USD Before rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing the internet

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg mainly.

Country of Origin: U.S.

Parts Preferences: I would like to use an AMD CPU

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Looking for advice on a new build. Not trying to make it super fancy. Just want to upgrade from my old prebuilt pc and get the experience to build a pc myself for the future.

------------------------------------

After looking around and reading up on pc components picked out this build. Looking for any advice on my current build. Trying to stay around 900USD and hoping that after building my first pc I can tweak it yearly. If you have any different recommendations or feel that I have overlooked anything or gone excessive on a certain part, please advise me. Within this build are 2 combo(CPU/MB and PSU/HD) deals saving me 26USD

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE

MB: ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD

GPU: XFX Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W

HD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB

CASE: CM690 II Advanced

OD: LITE-ON CD/DVD

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

PRICE: $924.67 -$10.00 promo(3/14) = 914.67

Well that Asus 870 is 16/4 and not recommended for CF so
$710AR (+$100 for OS)
Untitled-2068.jpg

Kikoku

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm pretty much set to keep a few of those items on my list, but I am interested on my motherboard now since you both recommended a different one. I truly don't plan to CF 2 GPUs so not sure if I should change it;

1)but if there anything wrong with the mobo I picked out, aside from CF?

2)the original GPU I picked out is no longer on sale, so picked out a SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit and curious if it should be ok for a moderate gamer?

3)So lowered my PSU to a 650 and think it should be enough for at least possible upgrades. Only dropped my original combo by $20 and not sure if I should just invest it back to the 750w.

Kikoku

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Thanks for replying batuchka.

Redid a few options so hopefully you, or anyone else viewing, can verify everything is ok/compatible. Think I'll change the OD to something cheaper, maybe with free shipping. Not really liking the idea of paying $7 to ship it.

1)Changed PSU again to a cheaper rosewill 80+ 630W and hoping that change is ok
2)Changed motherboard to the ASrock you had suggested. (thanks batuchka)
3)Picked up that combo you had with CPU/GPU earlier and only concern is that since this will be my first build that the case might be a bit small for it.

[
pccart.jpg