• Pretty bad
  • 0 %
  • Awful
  • 20 %
  • Where should I start...
  • 0 %
March 9, 2011 3:32:09 AM

Hello, and please read all of the post before voting,
I've been looking around and asking advice on THW for a while now, and I think I got my gaming system ready. How would this one fare on modern games? The resolution I will be playing at is 1920x1080 and I'm looking for at least a solid 45 fps on average (with 30 fps spikes minimum). Here are my components:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k @ 3.3Ghz
GPU: Asus nVidia GeForce GTX560 Ti ENGTX560 Ti 1GB
RAM: Corsair 8GB Dual Channel @ 1600 MHz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 120mm
Fan: Arctic Cooling 120mm fan (two of these)
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 LE Socket LGA1155 Motherboard, ATX, Intel P67
Case: Luxo M1000 GZ-L1BSAX-A00 Mid-Tower Case (front audio + USB)
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX PSU
HDD1: Corsair F60 60GB SSD
HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB (7200RPM)
Monitor: AOC 2236Vw LCD, 1920x1080 @ 60Hz

Then some Gigabyte wireless keyboard and mouse, no speakers (I prefer headphones and some $20 generic speakers won't shock me since my hearing is pretty bad). Generic DVD reader/writer as well, I don't use Blu-ray and I have little use for optical media anyway. Will be using Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Estimated price is about USD $1700.

How would you rate this build on a scale from 0 to 10, and how well would it run modern games at my resolution in high settings (say high/highest), games such as GTA IV, Just Cause 2, etc... and games to come in 1-2 year's time? Do you have any upgrade suggestions for any components? I still have some money to spend but not much, and if an upgrade is possible it will need to be worthwhile (i.e. I don't want 12GB of RAM just for the sake of it). I was considering upgrading to a GTX570 for another $80 or so but I was told I should buy a decent card now and wait for the new generation of GPU's to come in a few months and upgrade then which doesn't seem like bad advice. I will probably try and overclock the CPU to 4GHz, not sure about overclocking the GPU.

Thanks for your help guys!

PS : I need the 8GB of memory because I will be hosting a server for professional reasons and I need to allocate about 3GB of RAM to it at any given time.

More about : rate system

a c 81 B Homebuilt system
March 9, 2011 3:50:29 AM

You have an AMD motherboard picked out for an Intel processor

:non: 

Lol. Overlooking that small fact it looks pretty good. Very similar to what I have.
March 9, 2011 4:17:10 AM

Well if you bought a good P67 mother board to go with the I5 2500k cpu.
You will need a 2500k cpu to overclock and you will also need a very decent Cpu cooler also. Other than that it looks ok but I think the $1700 price tag seems high for what you have listed.
Also GTX 570 is the newest gen video at least for this year.
Also an easy upgrade would then be to add another GTX570 down the line but then You would have to have a better power supply also at least a quality 750 watt one if not a little more for some additional head room.
Related resources
March 9, 2011 4:28:16 AM

Advertising will get reported and removed.
March 9, 2011 4:31:45 AM

Quote:
You have an AMD motherboard picked out for an Intel processor

Indeed! Unfortunate pasting error from me, I was trying to paste a P55 one instead. But I've edited it to a P67 model from Galeener's post.

Quote:
Well if you bought a good P67 mother board to go with the I5 2500k cpu.
You will need a 2500k cpu to overclock and you will also need a very decent Cpu cooler also. Other than that it looks ok but I think the $1700 price tag seems high for what you have listed.

Okay I changed the motherboard. Upgrading the CPU only costs about $40 so it's a good deal I think, I'll have to look into the CPU coolers - probably get a good one for $50 or so?

Quote:
Also GTX 570 is the newest gen video at least for this year.

Hmm the GTX570 is quite a lot more expensive than the GTX460. About $100 more for the cheapest ones. Is it really worth the money?

Quote:
Also an easy upgrade would then be to add another GTX570 down the line but then You would have to have a better power supply also at least a quality 750 watt one if not a little more for some additional head room.

That is definitely not an option - it is just too expensive and I can't afford to spend too much money on this rig. I'll probably take the advice and upgrade to a 750w PSU however, 650w seems a bit low (although with my current components I calculated it at 520w at most) and I don't want to take any chances. Good for upgrading as well.

PS : main post edited for CPU + mobo
March 9, 2011 4:41:21 AM

Just a quick question are you building this or having some one else do it.
Well if you have the money yes i think the 570 is worth it but if its a budget concern then you pretty much know what you can get and can't.
You could go with a GTX 560Ti which should cost around $249.00 and may be a bit more budget friendly. Then in a year or so buy another one and sli it the 750w PSU would have plenty of power for that. Or stay with the GTX460 and get another one of those later.
I am not sure about you case as i have not seen those but the hyper 212+ would be a nice cooler for your cpu and is pretty cheap That is if it will fit in your case.. You can also add an extra fan to it later in a push pull set up for incresed cooling.
March 9, 2011 4:47:44 AM

I'm buying the components and building it myself.
I think for the GPU I'll stick to my budget and get a GTX460, then maybe get another GTX460 and SLI them in a few month's time. Sounds like a good plan. And I'll definitely get the 750w PSU instead of the 650w one for the SLI.
Thanks for the CPU cooler advice, I'll look it up, if I can find one of those nice and cheap coolers that'd be great.
March 9, 2011 4:52:24 AM

Looks awesome! I'm adding it to my list on the main post!!
a c 81 B Homebuilt system
March 9, 2011 4:57:58 AM

Bacterius said:
I'm buying the components and building it myself.
I think for the GPU I'll stick to my budget and get a GTX460, then maybe get another GTX460 and SLI them in a few month's time. Sounds like a good plan. And I'll definitely get the 750w PSU instead of the 650w one for the SLI.
Thanks for the CPU cooler advice, I'll look it up, if I can find one of those nice and cheap coolers that'd be great.

Look for a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ for overclocking.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GTX460 is still a decent card at 1920 x 1080 but if you can afford it the GTX560Ti is the better value at this point . I have a GTX460 1GB. Either is a powerhouse when combined in SLI.

Edit. You did not list your post but galeener beat me too it as I look back.
March 9, 2011 5:56:27 AM

Hmm, the 560Ti looks like it's about the same price as the GTX460, just a few dollars more. Might go with them then, I'm going to look at some benchmarks to see how much of an improvement it is, and if the Ti has better power efficiency or whatnot.
March 10, 2011 2:41:35 AM

Okay I've edited a few components in. How's it looking now?
March 10, 2011 2:46:08 AM

looks pretty decent to me. Always best to ask a million questions before you buy than after;)
March 10, 2011 2:53:35 AM

Exactly. I'll make a few more changes to the components in the next few days (thus bumping the thread and getting more opinions :p ), and then I'll buy I think.
March 10, 2011 3:33:21 AM

Whoever rated awful, was it because you didn't understand what the last option meant, or do you have a relevant reason to? If the latter I would be happy to hear from you. Thanks.
!