Losing Game Notes

When playing, I like to keep notes in the notepad for my bases and
ships. It makes it easier to remember what each ship and base is
doing.

However, I have had two different games that have lost all of my notes
one or more times. I am getting frustrated with having to remember the
notes I lost and reproducing them.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know how to prevent it?

Magik

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2004

I've noticed that if I put in a note then switch to another object
without first closing the note window that I will lose the note. So
I've been in the practice of opening and closing a note on every object
separately and have had no loss thus far.

Magik

DiscSpinner schrieb:
> When playing, I like to keep notes in the notepad for my bases and
> ships. It makes it easier to remember what each ship and base is
> doing.
>
> However, I have had two different games that have lost all of my notes
> one or more times. I am getting frustrated with having to remember the
> notes I lost and reproducing them.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know how to prevent it?

In the past I had it sometimes that I lost a few Notes and Flags but not
sure why.

And I lost all a few times in older times. Think it was as I lost my old
datas too, by "reinstalling" the turn, so that the "history" or so was
deleted.

Bye-Bye Josch.

Magik wrote:
> I've noticed that if I put in a note then switch to another object
> without first closing the note window that I will lose the note. So
> I've been in the practice of opening and closing a note on every object
> separately and have had no loss thus far.
>
> Magik

I have not had that happen, I have lost random notes at times, always
ascribed it to gremlins. I have had a recurring problem on two computers
with identical installs of the wrong pics being shown in VCRs. It is bad
enough to lose a decisive battle, it is just weird to lose a serious
battle cruiser to a flock of SDSFs! No, they are not Scavenger
whatchamacallits.

Sparrow

Are you playing on different computers? You should be aware that the
notes are not sent to host and therefore are not in the .rst,
everything is stored and kept locally. Therefore swapping PCs or
reinstalling planets or playing in different slots/installation on the
same PC will have the same result: No notes (from the previous turn)

I am playing all of my games on the same computer. The last time I
lost the notes, I was playing a turn and didn't have time to finish. I
closed Planets and left my computer on. When I returned, I started
planets and found that all of my notes were gone. Both notes I had
just entered and those entered in the previous turns were gone.
Nothing unusual happend with Planets or with my computer to indicate a
problem except that the notes were missing.

Jeff

Sparrow schrieb:
> Are you playing on different computers? You should be aware that the
> notes are not sent to host and therefore are not in the .rst,
> everything is stored and kept locally. Therefore swapping PCs or
> reinstalling planets or playing in different slots/installation on the
> same PC will have the same result: No notes (from the previous turn)

Do you ask me or DiscSPinner ?
I play on one computer in one slot.

I know that the old data and notes are stored on my PC and not in the
host, and some other things like ship plans from Qucikbuild and so too.

As I had lost my datas and history there was a problem. Think with a
racepack and by exchanging all datas inside an alliance we had over
several turns "Bad ship data" and wrong ship hulls are shown ....
Sometimes it had helped to reinstall the whole turn, sometimes not only an
other ship get the bad data. Have it only had in this one game at this
time. Since that I have written me a short batch to make a backup of the
relevant data before I "install" a new turn. Another batch to restore the
old data if necessary and it worked. But have never need it again.

Bye-Bye JoSch.

DiscSpinner wrote:
> I am playing all of my games on the same computer. The last time I
> lost the notes, I was playing a turn and didn't have time to finish. I
> closed Planets and left my computer on. When I returned, I started
> planets and found that all of my notes were gone. Both notes I had
> just entered and those entered in the previous turns were gone.
> Nothing unusual happend with Planets or with my computer to indicate a
> problem except that the notes were missing.
>
> Jeff

I have had this happen continuesly, it's one of the reason's I don't
play anymore. I would add thousands of notes, and about turn 7 - 10, I
would open a .trn file, and they would get wiped out completely. It's
been a bug for like 3 years. I feel your pain.

-Hex

I have written a batch script to copy all of my game files. After I
successfully start Planets and see that my notes are there, I run the
script to copy all files to a backup directory--better to start with
old notes than no notes.

Jeff