Samsung SyncMaster 173P

SayCHeese256

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
Hi, I recently got a hand-me-down monitor: the SyncMaster 173P and I wanted to get it to 1280x1024 resolution however I encountered two problems, 1: I got the monitor LOOKING for a DVI connection but no matter how many I unplugged it and plugged the cord back in it just wouldn't RECOGNIZE it but as soon as I put in a VGA cable it worked?!?!. 2: The monitor doesn't seem to have driver support for windows 7 as I can't find any legitimate win7 drivers on the internet (the cd driver was for win98/ME/2000/XP). Its a real pain because on the previous computer they managed to get the drivers installed (running winXP) and even though graphics controller on the computer didn't support 1280x1024 it still showed up in the display>settings panel and they were able to select it (the image went wayyyy past the edge of the screen though). All I want right now is to be able to install win7 compatible drivers and make the resolution 1280x1024, I don't care which connection.
(BTW: 1024x768 on this monitor looks HORRIBLE!)

1: I got the monitor LOOKING for a DVI connection but no matter how many I unplugged it and plugged the cord back in it just wouldn't RECOGNIZE it but as soon as I put in a VGA cable it worked?!?!.

What is this "cord" were you unplugging and plugging back in? Power cord?

Were you unplugging and plugging in the DVI cable while the system was powered on?

Press the power button and listen for two beeps, then release to switch the input source to analog or digital.

Press the power button and listen for three beeps, then release to activate the Auto Adjustment feature. (Available only with an analog source.)

2: The monitor doesn't seem to have driver support for windows 7 as I can't find any legitimate win7 drivers on the internet (the cd driver was for win98/ME/2000/XP).

The End-of-Life for the SyncMaster 173P was several years ago. It's a monitor from 2004. That's why you haven't seen any legit driver support from Samsung for Windows Vista or 7 and never will.

If you need to rotate the image into portrait mode you'll have to do that in the Catalyst drivers for the video card.

SayCHeese256

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
OK, 1A: the "cord" was the DVI cord.
1B: I was actually swapping DVI cords, seeing if different ones would work. And it was while the system was off.
1C: pressing the power button until two beeps was how I got it to look for a DVI connection in the first place.
I should have gone into more detail here; whenever I started up my PC with the monitor wanting a DVI connection the monitor would cycle through the connections really fast, then gradually slow down, then stop on Digital, then go to sleep. But when I used the Analog connection it worked fine. The monitor doesn't need the digital connection to display at full resolution but it would have been nice to have it.

2: The SyncMaster requires the drivers to display at full resolution which is why I was looking for them but I had a feeling that this monitor was a little bit out-dated
What your trying to say is if I want to use full res. I need to downgrade to XP, right?
Or, hehe, I could download the XP virtual mode for windows 7. I wonder if that would work?

Or I could just just buy a really cheap monitor off trademe for (cough, cough) $1

SayCHeese256

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
OK so this is different problem but its in the same category so I thought, why make another thread?
For the past couple of weeks I've been experiencing graphical corruption on all my games apart from Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. I first noticed it when I got Assassin's Creed Brotherhood; all the white lines in the background of the main menu had these dotted black lines continually flashing and it made it look like the screen was flickering but the actual game wasn't affected so it didn't worry me too much. But now its happening in pretty much all my games. On every single edge of any object there are these tiny flashing black lines, the actual surfaces of the objects aren't affected but it can get quite annoying when it does it continually.
At first I thought it was Catalayst Control Center so I made everything use application settings but that only worked for Mass Effect 1 and 2, and in one game it actually made it a lot worse (Empire: Total War) but I barely ever play that game so it doesn't really worry me.
I have no idea whats going on, so any suggestions?

SayCHeese256

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
Well, it does it on need for speed shift as well but only with the graphics on max and the dots aren't small they're MASSIVE. Totally unplayable on max settings, absolutely fine on medium settings

TRENDING THREADS