Sign in with
Your question

XFX 6950 installed - 3rd monitor not being detected >:(

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 4, 2011 3:12:41 AM

So.. what the hell? I've got two of my monitors going from VGA cables to DVI doggles. The other monitor is hooked up through a Mini display port. The lower DVI port on the video card is being detected and so is the mini display port. The top DVI output on the card is acting like its dead.. it isn't giving a single for my monitor. What is going on here? Any one have an idea?
January 4, 2011 4:35:16 AM

Ok so heres pictures to show how they are hooked up..

m
l
a c 133 C Monitor
January 4, 2011 4:52:03 AM

As far as I'm aware, the only way to hook up 3 monitors to a single card is through eyefinity with an active display port.

I have never setup Eyefinity, so I do not know how to help you.
m
l
Related resources
January 4, 2011 4:52:47 AM

So what is a active display port?
m
l
a c 133 C Monitor
January 4, 2011 4:55:05 AM

They make a special adapter for that, or you can buy a monitor with it built in.

I'm no expert in it's use however. But look up how to use eyefinity, perhaps at AMD's home page.
m
l
a c 133 C Monitor
January 4, 2011 4:56:21 AM

However, if you are only interested in having a 3 wide extended desktop, and have no intentions of gaming on 3 monitors, you can buy a very cheap card to put in another PCIe slot (assuming you have one) for less money than an active display port.
m
l
January 4, 2011 5:01:36 AM

I'm looking to use the card for gaming
m
l
a c 133 C Monitor
January 4, 2011 5:23:41 AM

I really don't know, but that does appear to be the correct thing. Someone else with first hand experience should help you.
m
l
January 4, 2011 1:54:48 PM

So i just got thinking.. when i installed the driver last night.. i had all 3 cords hooked up exactly the way that they are hooked up now. 2 DVI and 1 in the mini display port. Maybe whats happening is the driver just isnt installed correctly and so it only sees the one DVI and the mini display ports? Do you guys think this could be possible? Maybe once i get the active mini display port ill just have to reinstall the driver and see what happens?
m
l
January 4, 2011 2:37:00 PM

No! Don't buy anything extra, that setup should be working fine. The limitation of eyefinity is that one 'setup' can only utilize two DVI or one DVI and one HDMI port, which you should be ok with as you're using two DVI and the miniDP.

I assume the monitor which you're using miniDP with actually HAS a miniDP port? You're not using any sort of adaptor? If you're using one native miniDP, and two DVI, that should work fine, your problem lies elsewhere.

If you ARE using an adaptor for miniDP, you have two choices. You can use an unpowered (passive) miniDP to VGA adaptor, but if you plan on adapting to HDMI or DVI, it must be a USB powered (active) adaptor.

Hope I've helped!
m
l
January 5, 2011 10:22:22 AM

ruu1989 said:
No! Don't buy anything extra, that setup should be working fine. The limitation of eyefinity is that one 'setup' can only utilize two DVI or one DVI and one HDMI port, which you should be ok with as you're using two DVI and the miniDP.

I assume the monitor which you're using miniDP with actually HAS a miniDP port? You're not using any sort of adaptor? If you're using one native miniDP, and two DVI, that should work fine, your problem lies elsewhere.

If you ARE using an adaptor for miniDP, you have two choices. You can use an unpowered (passive) miniDP to VGA adaptor, but if you plan on adapting to HDMI or DVI, it must be a USB powered (active) adaptor.

Hope I've helped!

Thats actually not 100% true. Since hes using a DVI to VGA adapter (which is always and active adapter due to the DAC inside it) he should be able to use it as it is even if he have an adapter on the miniDP cable.

My tip for the TS is to mess around with changing ports between the cables, reinstall drivers etc etc before u think about buying an minidp to DVI adapter. But be aware that alot of people have had problems with accell adapters before so i suggest u get a XFX or Sapphire adapter. I cant say for sure that u got any of those 2 adapters in the US but it would be weird if u dont ^^
m
l
January 7, 2011 7:36:22 PM

Alright well i found out the problem.. the top video out put cant use a VGA cord.. it must use a DVI cable. You can't use a vga cord then covert it to dvi with a doggle. It has to be straight DVI
m
l
January 8, 2011 12:48:31 AM

JDUB348 said:
Alright well i found out the problem.. the top video out put cant use a VGA cord.. it must use a DVI cable. You can't use a vga cord then covert it to dvi with a doggle. It has to be straight DVI

True, didnt think of that :p  Theres only 1 DVI-I on the card :) 
m
l
!