upgrading hard drive on laptop - most painless way to tran..

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 6, 2005 2:05:28 AM

I have a laptop with a 30Gig hard drive that I have partitioned into 2
equal partitions. I would like to replace the 30gig with a 60 gig
drive. What is the easiest way to transfer my drive image, so that I
don't need to install Windows XP and all of my applications on the new
drive.
Thanks
April 6, 2005 9:22:22 AM

techman41973@yahoo.com wrote:
: I have a laptop with a 30Gig hard drive that I have partitioned into 2
: equal partitions. I would like to replace the 30gig with a 60 gig
: drive. What is the easiest way to transfer my drive image, so that I
: don't need to install Windows XP and all of my applications on the new
: drive.

Get a USB enclosure for a 2.5" hard drive, then clone the current
drive to the new drive, then swap the new drive in. I use Acronis True Image
instead of Symantec's Ghost, but in your case, you might want to buy a
Symantec software bundle that includes Ghost and Partition Magic, so
after you clone the drive to the new one, you can re-size the two 15GB
partitions to be two 30GB partitions (or whatever you want them to be
now).

If you already have an external hard drive, you could make images
(with Ghost or True Image) of the two partitions and save them to the
external drive (assuming you have 30GB laying around), then swap in
the new drive, boot from the recovery disk you made in Ghost or True
Image, and install each partition on the new drive.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

<techman41973@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a laptop with a 30Gig hard drive that I have partitioned into 2
> equal partitions. I would like to replace the 30gig with a 60 gig
> drive. What is the easiest way to transfer my drive image, so that I
> don't need to install Windows XP and all of my applications on the new
> drive.
> Thanks

Acronis True Image 8

http://www.acronis.com/
a b D Laptop
April 6, 2005 2:13:07 PM

"Andrew" <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> wrote in message
> techman41973@yahoo.com wrote:
> : I have a laptop with a 30Gig hard drive that I have partitioned into 2
> : equal partitions. I would like to replace the 30gig with a 60 gig
> : drive. What is the easiest way to transfer my drive image, so that I
> : don't need to install Windows XP and all of my applications on the new
> : drive.
>
> Get a USB enclosure for a 2.5" hard drive, then clone the current
> drive to the new drive, then swap the new drive in. I use Acronis True
Image
> instead of Symantec's Ghost, but in your case, you might want to buy a
> Symantec software bundle that includes Ghost and Partition Magic, so
> after you clone the drive to the new one, you can re-size the two 15GB
> partitions to be two 30GB partitions (or whatever you want them to be
> now).

Maplin (in the UK) are currently knocking out a USB2 to IDE cable for about
£40 or so. Cheaper than an enclosure and useful for other things. It only
works with UDMA disk drives though.

Ian.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 6, 2005 3:23:32 PM

On 5 Apr 2005 22:05:28 -0700, techman41973@yahoo.com wrote:

>I have a laptop with a 30Gig hard drive that I have partitioned into 2
>equal partitions. I would like to replace the 30gig with a 60 gig
>drive. What is the easiest way to transfer my drive image, so that I
>don't need to install Windows XP and all of my applications on the new
>drive.

Have to agree with the other posters, using an external USB2.0 drive
and Ghost 9 is the best way. I did it recently using the DVR+RW drive
and Ghost 9, it natively writes to the DVD and happily spans multiple
disks. You then put in the new drive, boot from the Ghost disk and
restore.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 6, 2005 6:12:21 PM

ebuyer got the full usb 2.0 enclosure for a tener

www.ebuyer.com

"Ye Electric Fanne Clubbe" <ian.shorrocks@baeherclothessystems.com> wrote in
message news:4253a66e$1_1@glkas0286.greenlnk.net...

> "Andrew" <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> wrote in message
>> techman41973@yahoo.com wrote:
>> : I have a laptop with a 30Gig hard drive that I have partitioned into 2
>> : equal partitions. I would like to replace the 30gig with a 60 gig
>> : drive. What is the easiest way to transfer my drive image, so that I
>> : don't need to install Windows XP and all of my applications on the new
>> : drive.
>>
>> Get a USB enclosure for a 2.5" hard drive, then clone the current
>> drive to the new drive, then swap the new drive in. I use Acronis True
> Image
>> instead of Symantec's Ghost, but in your case, you might want to buy a
>> Symantec software bundle that includes Ghost and Partition Magic, so
>> after you clone the drive to the new one, you can re-size the two 15GB
>> partitions to be two 30GB partitions (or whatever you want them to be
>> now).
>>

> Maplin (in the UK) are currently knocking out a USB2 to IDE cable for
> about
> £40 or so. Cheaper than an enclosure and useful for other things. It
> only
> works with UDMA disk drives though.
>
> Ian.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 7, 2005 3:13:46 AM

You may need to do a repair install no matter what, as XP "knows" the
drive on which it's installed at the drive serial number level and may
not work when transferred.

However, the easiest way is to mount both drives in the same computer
and used Drive Image in the "copy partition" mode. You can probably do
this most easily with the new drive attached to your computer via a USB
connection, then swap drives.

techman41973@yahoo.com wrote:
> I have a laptop with a 30Gig hard drive that I have partitioned into 2
> equal partitions. I would like to replace the 30gig with a 60 gig
> drive. What is the easiest way to transfer my drive image, so that I
> don't need to install Windows XP and all of my applications on the new
> drive.
> Thanks

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 7, 2005 4:04:10 AM

| You may need to do a repair install no matter what, as XP "knows"
| the drive on which it's installed at the drive serial number level and
| may not work when transferred.

Changing only the Hard Drive does not adversely affect Windows Product
Activation. It only counts as one of ten potential "yes" votes (the NIC
counts as three) .. where fewer than seven "yes, I'm the same" votes will
trigger WPA.

In a notebook system, that would entail a whole slew of or upgraded devices
which, ideally, would probably necessitate a reinstall.

See the late MS-MVP Alex Nichol's page for a very detailed discussion on
WPA:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php

Changing only the hard drive with an image on a new drive will cause the new
drive to be redetected as new hardware upon the first boot. The IDE driver
would then be reloaded and all would be good to go.

Jef
!