image scanning hardware

For some time now I've been thinking I could do with a scanner. Up til now,
if I've had any scanning to do I've used the scanner at the office.

I have just acquired a number of old photos which I'd like to scan. None of
the photos are particularly large but the problem is that some of them are
framed and/or mounted and I don't want to risk damaging them by dismantling
them. The scanner at the office has a hinged lid which doesn't come off and
only opens to 90 degrees so there seems to be no way to scan an image which
is in the middle of a large mount or frame.

Is this common or are there devices which can scan the middle part of a
large original? I had a look at some scanner specs but I couldn't find
anything to indicate whether the covers came off or folded right back. I
can't believe I'm the only one to have this problem. Anyone care to make
any suggestions as to what I should be looking for in the product specs. or
perhaps to recommend a some models which would meet my requirements.

I'm not looking for anything fancy and can only afford to dip into the lower
end of the consumer price band. I am based in the UK, if that makes any
difference.

Keith
4 answers Last reply
More about image scanning hardware

    Keith Sheppard wrote:

    > For some time now I've been thinking I could do with a scanner. Up til now,
    > if I've had any scanning to do I've used the scanner at the office.
    >
    > I have just acquired a number of old photos which I'd like to scan. None of
    > the photos are particularly large but the problem is that some of them are
    > framed and/or mounted and I don't want to risk damaging them by dismantling
    > them. The scanner at the office has a hinged lid which doesn't come off and
    > only opens to 90 degrees so there seems to be no way to scan an image which
    > is in the middle of a large mount or frame.
    >
    > Is this common or are there devices which can scan the middle part of a
    > large original? I had a look at some scanner specs but I couldn't find
    > anything to indicate whether the covers came off or folded right back. I
    > can't believe I'm the only one to have this problem. Anyone care to make
    > any suggestions as to what I should be looking for in the product specs. or
    > perhaps to recommend a some models which would meet my requirements.
    >
    > I'm not looking for anything fancy and can only afford to dip into the lower
    > end of the consumer price band. I am based in the UK, if that makes any
    > difference.
    >
    > Keith

    I am on my third flatbed (print) scanner. All of mine have had
    removable lids for scanning books, framed prints, etc.

    Kibo informs me that "Keith Sheppard" <keith.sheppard@tesco.net> stated
    that:

    >For some time now I've been thinking I could do with a scanner. Up til now,
    >if I've had any scanning to do I've used the scanner at the office.
    >
    >I have just acquired a number of old photos which I'd like to scan. None of
    >the photos are particularly large but the problem is that some of them are
    >framed and/or mounted and I don't want to risk damaging them by dismantling
    >them. The scanner at the office has a hinged lid which doesn't come off and
    >only opens to 90 degrees so there seems to be no way to scan an image which
    >is in the middle of a large mount or frame.
    >
    >Is this common or are there devices which can scan the middle part of a
    >large original?

    Unless the frame is very thick, you can use your usual scanner by
    leaving the lid up & putting a phone book or something similar on your
    picture to make sure it sits flat while being scanned. I've used that
    trick to scan all sorts of oddly shaped objects, & it works very well on
    most scanners.

    >>Unless the frame is very thick, you can use your usual scanner by
    >>leaving the lid up & putting a phone book or something similar on your
    >>picture to make sure it sits flat while being scanned. I've used that
    >>trick to scan all sorts of oddly shaped objects, & it works very well on
    >>most scanners.

    On the scanner at the office, the lid only opens to 90 degrees so there's a
    solid obstruction (the hinge etc) all the way down one side at about 2
    inches from the edge of the glass.

    Keith

    "Keith Sheppard" <keith.sheppard@tesco.net> wrote in message
    >>>Unless the frame is very thick, you can use your usual scanner by
    >>>leaving the lid up & putting a phone book or something similar on your
    >>>picture to make sure it sits flat while being scanned. I've used that
    >>>trick to scan all sorts of oddly shaped objects, & it works very well on
    >>>most scanners.
    >
    > On the scanner at the office, the lid only opens to 90 degrees so there's
    > solid obstruction (the hinge etc) all the way down one side at about 2
    > inches from the edge of the glass.
    >
    > Keith
    Turn the (phone) book through 180 degrees then turn the copy a further 180
    degrees to read.

Hardware Scanners Cameras Product