Help with new SB build

Gauntlet32

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: Soon

Budget Range: 1300 euros (around 1450 dollars)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming at high settings, 1920x1080

Parts Not Required: Speakers and OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: none

Country of Origin: Spain

Parts Preferences: none

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Intel core i5 2500k

Asus p8p67 motherboard

G.skill Ripjaws-x 1333 CL9 2x4 gb

Cooler master Hyper 212 plus

WD Caviar Black 1tb Sata3

Cooler Master HAF 922 case

Cooler Master gx 650w PSU

MSI Geforce 570gtx TwinFrozrII

DVD LG gh22ns50

ASUS vw247h 23´6" LED full hd

Logitech g110 gaming keyboard

Logitech g500 gaming mouse

Additional Comments: I have around 50 euros left in my budget and need to know if you would change any of the parts. I don´t want a SSD at the moment.

CopaMundial

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Looks pretty good.
On most sites in the US the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB drive is less expensive than the WD Caviar Black. But your prices may be different.

If you wanted to add a second video card you would need a slightly bigger power supply (with four PCI connections). But if you're not planning to do that then everything there looks good.

I would save the extra 50€ for gasoline.

Gauntlet32

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011

Thanks for the reply. The Samsung F3 is one of the other options i like and cost around 25 euros cheaper, but i wonder if being Sata2 instead of Sata3 is going to compromise performance.
I also have 2 options for my screen and I don´t really know the difference, and they are at the same price--->
Asus VE247H 23.6

Asus VE247H 23.6" LED DVI HDMI FULL HD for 176 euros
or
Asus VW247H 23.6" DVI/HDMI Full HD for 179 euros

Any advice on that?

CopaMundial

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

Neither one of those hard drives is capable of saturating the 3GB/s SATAII pipe alone.
So there would be no appreciable difference between SATAII and SATAIII for a one hard drive system.
SSD's or multiple drives configured in RAID is where SATAIII starts to make a difference.

You can do a side by side comparison of features here:
http://www.asus.com/index.aspx

Just put the model name in the search box, when the details for that monitor come up hit the 'add to compare' button. Do same thing for the second one and then hit 'Compare Now'.

I would say get the VE247H for the following reasons:
*faster response time (2ms vs 5ms) at least in their documentation... who knows if that's true or not.
*must have a different stand b/c it's not as deep (201mm vs 220mm), so it would take up less space.
*and shipping weight is 0.1kg lighter, so it takes less fuel to ship it... that means you just saved a polar bear from certain death. AND it's €3.00 less.

It looks like if you were going to be using this monitor connected to a cable box or blue ray player as your primary use, but using it for PC sometimesthen go VH. If you're using it for PC mostly and movies etc sometimes then go VE.

Gauntlet32

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
Thanks for the very useful response! I have compared both and now I´m sure I´ll pick up the VE. About the Sata sounds a little like pure marketing, those WD drives are pretty famous and I don´t really now if it´s just hype but te samsung seems to be almost as good