Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

GTX 460 764MB (MSI) or 1GB (Inno3D)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 4, 2011 5:45:23 AM

Hello,

I'm going to buy a GTX 460 and he asked me which one should he get the MSI Cyclone GTX 460 764MB or the Inno3D GTX 1GB.
They cost pretty much the same around here. Does the MSI have better components than the Inno3D and I think the MSI allows Voltage regulation ?

Thanks.
a c 256 U Graphics card
January 4, 2011 5:51:45 AM

MSI is a better brand but the 1GB model is better than the 768MB model due to increased memory bandwidth. A perfect solution would be an MSI, EVGA, Gigabyte or Asus 1GB model.
Score
0
a c 172 U Graphics card
January 4, 2011 5:56:29 AM

if it costs the same get the 1gb model. Its not just a RAM difference, the 768mb is actually a slower cut back versiion of the same chip with less shaders, less memory bandwidth etc. Get the 1gb its much faster. Inno 3d is ok, ive used them and currently my inno3d 8800gts OC is still going strong.
Score
0
Related resources
January 4, 2011 9:52:38 AM

I know the 768 is a "cut back version" of the 1GB, but I just didn't know if the Inno3D use the same components, since some manufacturers use their own design.

iam2thecrowe your answer was very usefull ;) 

anort3 The prices of these cards (MSI, EVGA, Gigabyte or Asus) atleast in my country, are too high and I dont think it is worth it :) 

Thanks again.
Score
0
January 4, 2011 2:38:06 PM

By the way do you think the Cooler Master GX 550W is enough for the GTX 460 (I know officially it needs a minimum of 450W). Just wondering if the CM GX 550W is any good, because everybody says they are not, but from the specs sheet the GX looks pretty decent ?

Sorry for the Offtopic :) 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2011 2:59:53 PM

VGKitov said:
By the way do you think the Cooler Master GX 550W is enough for the GTX 460 (I know officially it needs a minimum of 450W). Just wondering if the CM GX 550W is any good, because everybody says they are not, but from the specs sheet the GX looks pretty decent ?

Sorry for the Offtopic :) 



Ive used the gx series 650w with nothing but success but it is 80 plus certified, if it has no efficiency rating (on the 550 w) then it is really a toss up. Go for a 600w or more that is at least 80+ certified and from a quality manufacturer such as antec, corsair, or seasonic, you could gamble with a non certified one but for the money you might as well get a quality psu with 2 pci express connectors for a gtx 460. Some cooler master psus are okay although some of the lower end ones are crap just like an ocz or sunbeam psu. The best thing cooler master makes imo are their cases and the hyper 212+ cpu cooler is amazing.

In short the gx 550 should be okay but if you have not already purchased it I would go with something else to not only future proof yourself but also to run more powerful card(s) in the future, but also to be sure that proper amperage and wattage is being supplied and backed up with an efficiency rating
Score
0
a c 272 U Graphics card
January 4, 2011 3:00:17 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
if it costs the same get the 1gb model. Its not just a RAM difference, the 768mb is actually a slower cut back versiion of the same chip with less shaders, less memory bandwidth etc. Get the 1gb its much faster. Inno 3d is ok, ive used them and currently my inno3d 8800gts OC is still going strong.

The shader count is the same @336, it's the SE version that has less @288.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gtx-460-us.html
Score
0
January 4, 2011 3:09:30 PM

yeah youre right at this,there is no processors difference between 768mb or 1024mb gtx 460?just less bandwidth and less speed,but if you are using
Score
0
January 4, 2011 3:10:24 PM

low resolution then both will give same performance but there might be a difference of 5 to 10% performance.
Score
0
January 4, 2011 3:50:55 PM

jjb8675309 said:
Ive used the gx series 650w with nothing but success but it is 80 plus certified, if it has no efficiency rating (on the 550 w) then it is really a toss up. Go for a 600w or more that is at least 80+ certified and from a quality manufacturer such as antec, corsair, or seasonic, you could gamble with a non certified one but for the money you might as well get a quality psu with 2 pci express connectors for a gtx 460. Some cooler master psus are okay although some of the lower end ones are crap just like an ocz or sunbeam psu. The best thing cooler master makes imo are their cases and the hyper 212+ cpu cooler is amazing.

In short the gx 550 should be okay but if you have not already purchased it I would go with something else to not only future proof yourself but also to run more powerful card(s) in the future, but also to be sure that proper amperage and wattage is being supplied and backed up with an efficiency rating



The CM GX 550 is 80 PLUS certified (atleast thats what it says on their website http://coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6641&cat...) Also it has 44A on a single 12V+ line so I think it's more than decent? :) 
Score
0
January 4, 2011 3:57:45 PM

Mousemonkey said:
The shader count is the same @336, it's the SE version that has less @288.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gtx-460-us.html



You are right, at first glance I didn't notice. Nevertheless it realy is a cut down version, not buy much, but still. The only thing, that seems to be limited is the Memory Bandwidth, which is normal considering 192-bit bus. Correct me if I'm wrong. :) 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2011 4:18:08 PM

VGKitov said:
The CM GX 550 is 80 PLUS certified (atleast thats what it says on their website http://coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6641&cat...) Also it has 44A on a single 12V+ line so I think it's more than decent? :) 



oh yeah you should be more than fine with that, no worries, just thought that I would bring some info to your attention, though keep in mind, a 550 watt with 80% efficiency in a worst case scenario is 440watts (550*.8=440), which should still be enough and it has nice amperage on a single 12v rail, it will be fine but just a thought, but as long as you dont have an excessive amount of hardrives, optical drives, ram etc and everythign on stock clocks you should be fine.
Score
0
January 4, 2011 4:21:41 PM

jjb8675309 said:
oh yeah you should be more than fine with that, no worries, just thought that I would bring some info to your attention


No matter, thanks for the info :) 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2011 4:26:37 PM

VGKitov said:
No matter, thanks for the info :) 


I edited my post a bit but overall my advice is the same look up^^^^
Score
0
a c 272 U Graphics card
January 4, 2011 4:28:31 PM

VGKitov said:
You are right, at first glance I didn't notice. Nevertheless it realy is a cut down version, not buy much, but still. The only thing, that seems to be limited is the Memory Bandwidth, which is normal considering 192-bit bus. Correct me if I'm wrong. :) 

The chip isn't a cut down version it's just the memory bandwidth and amount that differs between the 336 core versions.
Score
0
January 4, 2011 4:29:18 PM

Oh yeah I didn't notice it. I will keep that in mind, thanks again jjb8675309 ;) 
Score
0
January 4, 2011 4:32:08 PM

Mousemonkey said:
The chip isn't a cut down version it's just the memory bandwidth and amount that differs between the 336 core versions.


What I meant was, that it was cut down on performance a little, not that the actual chip was cut down.

Sorry for the misunderstanding ;) 
Score
0
a c 272 U Graphics card
January 4, 2011 4:40:08 PM

VGKitov said:
What I meant was, that it was cut down on performance a little, not that the actual chip wascut down.

Sorry for the misunderstanding ;) 

Oh right, in that case yes you are right in that the 768MB version will suffer a performance hit when the res goes above 16 x 10, although when the cards were released Nvidia did state that they were aimed at the mid range 16 x 10 market which made me wonder why they started out with two versions (now three).
Score
0
a c 620 U Graphics card
January 4, 2011 4:41:33 PM

VGKitov said:
You are right, at first glance I didn't notice. Nevertheless it realy is a cut down version, not buy much, but still. The only thing, that seems to be limited is the Memory Bandwidth, which is normal considering 192-bit bus. Correct me if I'm wrong. :) 

Here are the differences between the Inno3D GTX 460 1mb vs. the MSI GTX 460 768mb Cyclone on an identical test system:


Inno3d
Core clock: 750 mhz
Memory clock: 3500 mhz
Full system power consumption: 372 watts
Load temp: 81c (Guru3d claims that a bios revision will bring this down)
Noise: 43Db
BFBC2 19x12: 37 fps
Dirt 2: 58 fps
Metro 2033: 18 fps
Crysis: 39 fps
3D Mark Vantage: 15,501
Overclocking: 851 mhz
CODMW4 w/OC: 99/111 w/OC

"The Inno3D GeForce GTX 460 with 1024MB is a lovely product. The baseline performance of this card is just really good as you'll receive a default overclock of the GPU at 750 MHz, The graphics memory was bumped up 200 MHz as well, and that gives this product a nice kick over the reference product alright. Of all the GTX 460 cards tested this one ranks and takes the 3rd place of them all.

There are a few remarks to be made though, the power consumption of this card was simple put high as well as the GPU heat levels. Both with measurements at such a level we are convinced we received a non-final product. E.g. Inno3D did rush out this card to us for a review, and we suspect that the GPU needs a little BIOS voltage tweaking. Knowing Inno3D I have every confidence this is fixed with the final retail products."
http://www.guru3d.com/article/inno3d-geforce-gtx-460-oc...


MSI Cyclone
Core clock: 727 mhz
Memory clock: 3600 mhz
Full system power consumption: 297 watts
Load temp: 58c
Noise: 37Db
BFBC2 19x12: 34 fps
Dirt 2: 48 fps
Metro 2033: 14 fps
Crysis: 35 fps
3D Mark Vantage: 14,129
Overclocking: 927 mhz
CODMW4 w/OC: 87/114 w/OC

"The card is built MSI style, the military class components show (stronger, higher quality, better heat levels), a nice black PCB and of course the eye-catching Cyclone cooler, which works really well I might add, this card can not be heard even under full GPU stress. Especially when overclocking it shows more muscle compared to the reference design cooler."

"MSI GeForce GTX 460 768MB - Initially due to a delay, MSI could not send out their 1GB model in time for this article. Instead they sent out the 768MB version in the Cyclone cooler flavor. Armed with a nice PCB, quality components and that cooler we feel that the 768MB version, despite lacking 8 ROPs and 256MB over the 1GB model, holds ground really well. A product like this will cost roughly 210 USD, and you gain an absolutely silent yet quite nicely performing DX11 class graphics card. Though it lacks a little bit of extra bite over the 1GB models, we certainly feel that the card offers great value for money. Oh and hey... the default higher clock frequency certainly helps out as well. Being MSI you get to overclock with AfterBurner and it brings voltage control of the GPU as a feature. We took this card to well over 900 MHz on the core."
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-review/3
Score
0
January 4, 2011 5:14:11 PM

Thanks for the link, very usefull.
Score
0
January 4, 2011 5:19:48 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Oh right, in that case yes you are right in that the 768MB version will suffer a performance hit when the res goes above 16 x 10, although when the cards were released Nvidia did state that they were aimed at the mid range 16 x 10 market which made me wonder why they started out with two versions (now three).


So do you think that at 1680x1050 the 768MB will be a better choise. What I was thinking is that since MSI use better components(military grade :lol:  ), cooler and allows voltage tweaks, it should overclock a lot better than the Inno3D.
Score
0
a c 620 U Graphics card
January 4, 2011 5:21:28 PM

VGKitov said:
So do you think that at 1680x1050 the 768MB will be a better choise. What I was thinking is that since MSI use better components(military grade :lol:  ), cooler and allows voltage tweaks, it should overclock a lot better than the Inno3D.

The overclocking numbers I posted above used voltage tweaks for both the Inno3D and the MSI cards. MSI was able to clock much higher.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2011 5:31:32 PM

17seconds said:
The overclocking numbers I posted above used voltage tweaks for both the Inno3D and the MSI cards. MSI was able to clock much higher.


overall the 1 gig is a better buy imo even at your res. You can often find a 1 gig for not much cheaper than the 768 and you can just overclock it yourself instead of spending top dollar on a top manufacturer of the card. This is what I would do but I realize that some people value the card quality of make much more than its price tag, but just my 2 cents
Score
0
January 4, 2011 5:36:38 PM

17seconds said:
The overclocking numbers I posted above used voltage tweaks for both the Inno3D and the MSI cards. MSI was able to clock much higher.


I can't get the Inno3D GTX 460 OC, here the only one available is a stock (675MHZ) GTX 460 and a stock ECS GTX 460. And I don't know if the normal Inno3D GTX 460 allows voltage manipulation ?
Score
0
a c 272 U Graphics card
January 4, 2011 5:36:49 PM

VGKitov said:
So do you think that at 1680x1050 the 768MB will be a better choise. What I was thinking is that since MSI use better components(military grade :lol:  ), cooler and allows voltage tweaks, it should overclock a lot better than the Inno3D.

I think the military grade thing is just a gimmick but if you have no intention of getting a 19 x 10 monitor any time soon then the 768MB card should be fine.
Score
0
January 4, 2011 5:39:33 PM

jjb8675309 said:
overall the 1 gig is a better buy imo even at your res. You can often find a 1 gig for not much cheaper than the 768 and you can just overclock it yourself instead of spending top dollar on a top manufacturer of the card. This is what I would do but I realize that some people value the card quality of make much more than its price tag, but just my 2 cents


That's what i was thinking, I don't care about the brand aslong as it performs well and doesn't fail after a couple of months.
Funny thing is that the Inno3D GTX 460 1GB cooler looks almost the same as the MSI CYCLONE (the Inno3D is hidden under a plastic cover though).
Score
0
January 4, 2011 5:42:20 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I think the military grade thing is just a gimmick but if you have no intention of getting a 19 x 10 monitor any time soon then the 768MB card should be fine.


I agree with you(they may be using better components, but military grade yeah) . I will have to think about it, thanks for the advice.

By the way if it was military grade I think it would have used silver instead of copper :D 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2011 5:52:19 PM

VGKitov said:
I agree with you(they may be using better components, but military grade yeah) . I will have to think about it, thanks for the advice.

By the way if it was military grade I think it would have used silver instead of copper :D 



yeah military grade you can take it or leave it personally my MSI motherboard seems to be just what was advertised, but if military grade= high quality japanese components then thats never a bad thing, so I guess overall it is a gimmick since you generally get that kind of quality from a higher end board anyways even without the military grade endorsement.


pshh silver is for the Chinese military....lol
Score
0
January 4, 2011 6:08:18 PM

Yeah the one thing I like most about the MSI GTX 460 is the design, personaly I love the Black Color and the Cooler (and from the reviews it seem it's not just eye candy)

Indeed Comrade....aahh i mean jjb8675309 :D 

One more thing, being able to say that your Video Card is Military Grade is a valid reason to get the MSI :D 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2011 6:14:47 PM

VGKitov said:
Yeah the one thing I like most about the MSI GTX 460 is the design, personaly I love the Black Color and the Cooler (and from the reviews it seem it's not just eye candy)

Indeed Comrade....aahh i mean jjb8675309 :D 

One more thing, being able to say that your Video Card is Military Grade is a valid reason to get the MSI :D 



if you are asking yourself the question I would say no military grade is not a reason to get the msi, go for a 1 gig 460 that is still my personal recommendation, but if you are really set on the msi then go for it im sure its a solid build.
Score
0
January 4, 2011 6:20:01 PM

jjb8675309 said:
if you are asking yourself the question I would say no military grade is not a reason to get the msi, go for a 1 gig 460 that is still my personal recommendation, but if you are really set on the msi then go for it im sure its a solid build.


I was just kidding about that, I will probably get the 1GB, but if it's ot of stock or something (In my country out of stock means that there probably won't be any for months :D 

Thanks, for your attention, I think we managet to discuss everythink I thought of, so thanks again ;) 
Score
0

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2011 6:33:01 PM

VGKitov said:
I was just kidding about that, I will probably get the 1GB, but if it's ot of stock or something (In my country out of stock means that there probably won't be any for months :D 

Thanks, for your attention, I think we managet to discuss everythink I thought of, so thanks again ;) 


its been fun and good luck hunting down your new gpu!
Share
January 4, 2011 6:34:09 PM

For me too, Thanks!


This discussion can be closed ;) 
Score
0
January 4, 2011 6:34:21 PM

Best answer selected by VGkitov.
Score
0
a c 272 U Graphics card
January 4, 2011 6:37:01 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!