Sign in with
Your question

HTPC - no sound

Last response: in Systems
March 9, 2011 1:33:11 PM

Hello, I'm a relative novice when it comes to building computers but I decided to take a crack at putting together my own HTPC. The one I put together has a Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2V motherboard with D-Sub and DVI ports for video and 3 audio ports.

I connected it to my Samsung DLP via the HDMI port on the TV with a DVI-HDMI cable. From what I've read, audio will not travel through the a converter cable like this. For the audio, I connected a stereo-to-RCA L/R cable. But, for some reason, I'm not getting any audio from the TV. The video is showing up fine, but there's no sound.

I should mention that my case, an Antec Fusion Remote, had connections for both HD audio and AC97, which are both supported by my Mobo. I connected the HD audio, which my mobo's manual said was the default setting. I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Any ideas why my audio is not coming in?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

More about : htpc sound

a b B Homebuilt system
March 9, 2011 2:24:43 PM

Quote:
(Note 4) To configure 7.1-channel audio, you have to use an HD front panel audio module and enable the multi-channel audio feature through the audio driver.

This is from the notes section of your motherboard's specification page.

Check in Control Panel --> Hardware and Sound --> Manage Audio Devices and select a different device to see if you can get audio working.

-Wolf sends
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 9, 2011 2:52:52 PM

Have you installed the audio drivers?
m
l
Related resources
March 9, 2011 4:39:10 PM

boiler1990 said:
Have you installed the audio drivers?

Yes, I've installed the audio drivers and the Audio Device Manager is saying that everything's working correctly. It recognizes the input, and I can even do a sound test.... but nothing comes out of the TV. I'm guessing there must be some setting I have to switch on the TV, but I can't find anything in any of the menus or manual.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 9, 2011 4:53:29 PM

On some (most?) TV's the RCA audio inputs are matched to a particular video input. If you don't have the DVI-HDMI cable plugged into a video input paired with the RCA audio, then you will not get sound. Look at your TV manual to see which video inputs are paired with the RCA inputs you are using.
m
l
March 9, 2011 6:19:44 PM

you said your using the hdmi connection right? so im pretty sure that you have to change your default playback device, (its on your taskbar, right click the volume icon > playback devices) thats if youve already installed all of your sound drivers,, if you connect the hdmi, the sound will come through there, you can only have 1 playback hardware device running at a time i think
m
l
!