Sign in with
Your question
Solved

P67 build, won't post

Last response: in Systems
March 9, 2011 1:47:12 PM

Hi All,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I just built a new MSI P67 with 2600k Intel chip. My problem is that the pc turns on for about 5 seconds, then reboots and continues this until I turn off the power.

I have stripped it down to just the CPU and HSF and have it on a piece of cardboard to prevent shorts. My 20 pin and 8 pin are plugged in and i've reseated the CPU HSF about 3 times now but still same results. I even tried a different HSF just to see if the stock one wasnt cutting it. Reset the CMOS as well, still no luck.

I don't believe it is the PSU because I tried my old motherboard/CPU with the same PSU (750w) and it works like a charm.

Do I have a bad chip or motherboard perhaps? Any insight is greatly appreciated! Never had a chip or mobo go bad on me for over 10 years of building my own systems :( 

More about : p67 build post

March 9, 2011 3:26:26 PM

Thanks for the link. Sadly I went through that thing for a good 3 hours last night, pulling my hair out to no avail.

I did notice though, that my cpu fan slot doesnt seem to work. I can plug the cpu fan into the "system fan" slot and it runs, but it doesnt run while plugged into the cpu fan slot. Sings are pointing to bad mobo I think.

I mean i've got this thing in it's rarest state, CPU/HSF and 20pin/8pin connectors plugged in, thats it. On a piece of cardboard.

Wonder if there is a safety check in place for this mobo/cpu fan perhaps? I didn't see anything about that in the manual though.

I also tried a different PSU, same results. Consistently after 5 seconds, it reboots in a loop.
Related resources
March 9, 2011 3:29:25 PM

Do you get any beep codes? Do you have a case speaker?

Mobo is a possibility, so is a bad CPU. Only real way to isolate which is either a beep code or swapping. If the CPU is bad, HSF won't run if plugged into CPU fan slot either, so that test isn't conclusive.
March 9, 2011 3:38:10 PM

No beep at all from the case speaker with and without memory in the board.

Best solution

March 9, 2011 3:54:15 PM

Hmm could be indicative of dead CPU them. Beep codes requires a CPU. Then again, bad mobo would also mean no beep codes. If there was a beep code we could at least eliminate CPU.

Hehe, basically you're gonna have to go out and grab a new Mobo.
March 9, 2011 4:07:06 PM

Dang, that was my fear. Would you lean more toward a dead cpu or mobo?
March 9, 2011 4:10:15 PM

Really a toss up. You're in the situation where it can be either and there's no way outside part swapping to figure out.
March 9, 2011 5:58:06 PM

Welp, it wasn't the processor, tested a brand new i5 2500k with same results - back to Microcenter I go for a new mobo!
March 16, 2011 4:34:24 PM

Best answer selected by psomatose.
April 21, 2011 4:45:56 AM

I had the same problem with my MSI P67 build. I even went threw most of the steps in which you talked about. I finally found out what the problem was.

I accidently pluged one of my video card power cord into the Cpu outlet. You see the reason why my system kept rebooting all the time was because I was using a conector that was meant for my video card. I truly needed a conection that can deliver the true watt-ege It needed to run the pc stable. Ever since I, Identified the proper Cpu Connection verses the video Card Connection, my pc has been running stable ever since!!

I can't believe how Identical both power connectors are, It is so easy to make that mistake.

Hope this was helpfull!
!