Best hard drive for ThinkPad T20

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 6, 2005 6:31:28 AM

Hi folks...

I have an old IBM ThinkPad T20 laptop, in which the original 12 GB hard
disk seems about to fail any time now. I formatted the drive several
times and successfully installed Windows XP SP2, but there was no
improvement, as the HDD remains slow, noisy and unreliable.

So, I am looking for a replacement and need answers to the following
questions:

- What is the best brand (e.g., Toshiba or Hitachi), in terms of
reliability and performance?

- Which product family to use (e.g., Travelstar, or other)?

- Do I need to buy any extra fitting kit, or will the new drive happily
sit in the place of the old one?

- Is it possible to install a 5400 rpm disk in my T20, or should I go
for a 4200 device?

- Where to buy it from, online, in the UK?

If you have done such a (trivial, but first for me) upgrade for a T20
already, I 'd really appreciate your opinion.

Thanks,

Dimitris
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 6, 2005 3:24:56 PM

I just installed a Samsung 80GB 5400RPM drive, it's very quiet.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 6, 2005 3:37:40 PM

dterzis@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi folks...

Kalhmera :)

> I have an old IBM ThinkPad T20 laptop, in which the original 12 GB hard
> disk seems about to fail any time now. I formatted the drive several
> times and successfully installed Windows XP SP2, but there was no
> improvement, as the HDD remains slow, noisy and unreliable.
>
> So, I am looking for a replacement and need answers to the following
> questions:
>
> - What is the best brand (e.g., Toshiba or Hitachi), in terms of
> reliability and performance?

Hitachi rates very highly and they are the default drives for all Thinkpads.

> - Which product family to use (e.g., Travelstar, or other)?

Hitachi Travelstar

> - Do I need to buy any extra fitting kit, or will the new drive happily
> sit in the place of the old one?

I believe the old one will have a small metal caddy, just unscrew the
caddy and screw it on the new one, adn you should be set.

> - Is it possible to install a 5400 rpm disk in my T20, or should I go
> for a 4200 device?

You could even install a 60gb 7200 rpm disk, the Hitachi 7k60. This is
the absolut fastest in laptop drives at the moment, and is highly
recommended by most Thinkpad users.

> - Where to buy it from, online, in the UK?

I think the cheapest place for HD in the UK is dabs (www.dabs.com) but
try Ebuyer (www.ebuyer.co.uk) as well, sometimes it has good offers.
Many new travelstars are also sold on Ebay, try it as well.

> If you have done such a (trivial, but first for me) upgrade for a T20
> already, I 'd really appreciate your opinion.

It is as trivial as it can get. Open your screen halfway, use a coin to
unscrew the bolt holding the drive caddy (I believe it is lower left on
T2x Thinkpads), pull the drive, unscrew the caddy, put the new drive in
caddy, put back in place, screw the bolt and you are set!

> Thanks,
>
> Dimitris

Parakalw,

Stavros