Sign in with
Your question

Turning off the PSU

Last response: in Components
June 8, 2011 7:30:20 PM

Hi, I sometimes get hard lock-ups when playing Bad Company 2. I'm trying to fix the problem but i had to turn off the PSU manually several times. So my question is whether turning the PSU off manually can permanently damage the PC. Thanks.

More about : turning psu

a b ) Power supply
June 8, 2011 7:35:35 PM

So people have been complaining about BC2 having some software issues causing lock ups.Hardware damage itself is not caused by the sudden loss of power. But it absolutely can be caused by fluctuations and spikes of voltage and current, both up and down that inevitably occur on the line immediately prior to power loss as the power company's equipment is faulty.
a b ) Power supply
June 8, 2011 7:39:11 PM

And overall there is no damage done.The psu should have its own short circuit protection.Your OS might be affected by corrupted files.
Related resources
June 8, 2011 7:45:35 PM

So it can damage the software but not the hardware, right?
a b ) Power supply
June 8, 2011 7:53:12 PM

I forgot to add doing hard shutdowns could lead to HDD headcrashes as platters will rotate at high speed and there will be very narrow space between its Data reader(Head) and platters.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_crash
a b ) Power supply
June 8, 2011 7:55:43 PM

julius 85 said:
So it can damage the software but not the hardware, right?

Why do you want to continue to play this game that causes lock ups?
Do other games cause lockups?
a b ) Power supply
June 8, 2011 8:56:35 PM

It cannot damage the software. No harm will come to your game, aside from your not being able to play it.
June 8, 2011 9:24:34 PM

Hard shutdowns should not damage your HD. The heads automatically retract when power is lost.
June 9, 2011 3:20:16 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
Why do you want to continue to play this game that causes lock ups?
Do other games cause lockups?

Well, I want to continue to play this game because I bought it and it's awesome.
And no other games cause lockups, only Black Ops crashes sometimes but it's made by Treyarch.
!