ATI 5870 Computer Crash problem

Joshbad

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Okay here is the problem i'm having and I'm just wondering if any of you guys know what might be the problem/what I should do.

So a about 2-3 weeks ago I bought a new ATI 5870 graphics card from NewEgg, to replace my old 4890 graphics card. I installed it and what not uninstalled my 4890 drivers and installed the 5870 drivers. Worked great for three days or so, then every once in a while on the third day I believe, the display driver would crash. On the fourth day, after about 10 minutes of gaming my whole computer would just black screen, and then have to be restarted.
I thought my card was defected, but I just uninstalled my 5870 drivers, and then installed them again. It was fixed, for three days i would do stuff no problems. All of a sudden on the third day the display driver would crash every so often, and then when i gamed after about 10 minutes my computer would black screen and have to be restarted.
The SAME exact thing has happened about 5x now, each time i would just uninstall and reinstall. The last time I did so i tried to fix it by COMPLETELY taking off all ATI software, i deleted all the folders, used the default uninstaller, used a driver cleaner, used Device manager (checking delete driver software) and even took the ATI entries off my registry, but the same thing happened.
I thought it was a graphics card issue, but since it works for three days with reinstalled drivers i have reconsidered.
I just dont know what i should do, so im posting to see if you guys have any thoughts.

--Other notes
One thing i have noticed, whenever on windows 7 the UAC window comes up (the window when you run as an administrator, the window that asks if you want to allow this program to open and you can click accept or cancel) whenever i have to use that window, before the window pops up, my screen well go black for about half a second, come back, and when i click accept, the screen well go black for about a half a second, and come back. The display driver does not crash in that case, this exact thing happens as well when logging on, and changing my brightness/gamma/color via ATI control center

Full specs:
CPU- Intel I7 920
RAM: 6GB DDR3
Graphics card: ATI 5870
PSU: 850 Watt, don't remember the amperage, but its highly sufficient for my components
Sound- Creative Titanium sound card
A generic wireless internet card
a MSI motherboard, i don't remember the exact model i can get it upon request

Joshbad

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

Oh i cant believe I forgot

CPU- Intel I7 920
RAM: 6GB DDR3
Graphics card: ATI 5870
PSU: 850 Watt, don't remember the amperage, but its highly sufficient for my components
Sound- Creative Titanium sound card
A generic wireless internet card
a MSI motherboard, i don't remember the exact model i can get it upon request

I think thats most of it, reply if i forgot something

Joshbad

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

As in older ATI drivers? I've tried the driver only package (that does not include Catalyst control center), but it didn't cross my mind to try older drivers, I'll give them a try and see if that helps.

Joshbad

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

Okay thanks, I'm downloading some drivers that are a couple months old and i'll install them in a few minutes. The only problem is I won't really know if they made any difference until a few days pass.

Yeah I see your point, Also if the card is faulty it'll be hard to prove it as usually when you RMA a graphics card the people testing it stick it on a test bench and test the card for a short period of time, certainly not 3 days.

Hopefully its software/driver related and not hardware related.

Joshbad

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

I certainly hope so, I don't think they'll RMA it anyway, i claimed the mail in rebate before this problem started (If i didn't claim it right then it would of expired)

Joshbad

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

Oh, never mind i don't know what i was thinking it doesn't void the warranty. Anyway, thanks for your suggestion hope it works.

Joshbad

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

Wow! I have very, very high hopes now. The UAC and Login problem with the split second black screen has disappeared that is it no longer black screens, which leads me to believe the problem is fixed