[First-time Builder] 800-1000$ Gaming PC

BadChap

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
Edit: This whole build is a work in progress, I've decided to up my budget a little for added longevity. I was going to pick up a Radeon 6850 card but the 6950 can be unlocked to 6970. Looks like it's worth the added cost. I like the current motherboard choice because of the great review it got on this site. I'm willing to pay extra for the PSU just to make sure I get something reliable which won't hold me back if I'm using Crossfire and overclocking left and right. :na:

I'm a new member here. I know tomshardware has an amazing community and I could really use the expertise for this build I'm trying to put together. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Some info for clarity's sake:

Approximate Purchase Date: The sooner, the better. My current machine is useless and I do everything on my PC. That's not to say I'm impulsive.

Budget Range: 1000-1400$ I'm really looking for longevity here. I would like to get the most bang for my buck (who isn't :sarcastic: )

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming then movies. I can't think of anything else that could come into account here.

Parts Not Required: Mouse, keyboard, speakers are A-ok. My current monitor will have to do but I will be looking to upgrade to something good at some point down the line. I also think I'm going to hold on to my DVD drive until good Blu-ray burners are more affordable.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I've been looking at newegg.ca and tigerdirect.ca mostly but anywhere where the price/service is good won't yield any objections on my end.

Country of Origin: Canada. Bet you guessed it, eh? :p

Parts Preferences: I've narrowed down certain choices but nothing is set in stone as of yet. I'm keeping an open mind and listening to the pros. ;)

Overclocking: Definitely. I read somewhere that anyone building a computer today has to overclock, it offers great returns for manageable risk. Also, just for the fun of it.

SLI or Crossfire: Yes, but I see a dual card setup as a way to prolong the GPU's life. I see myself buying the second one later on and would like to get a card now which would do the trick by itself for the time being.

Monitor Resolution: Right now it's 1680x1050. Like I said, I will be upgrading my monitor once I've recovered from the shock of this expense. :)

Additional Comments: I think a cooler would be important to have but I don't know enough to be able to make a good judgment on the subject. Also, I've opted for the i5 CPU over the i7 as I'm under the impression that Hyper-threading is going to have a negative effect on my computer's gaming performance. Isn't the added heat better used by overclocking the CPU?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Approximate Purchase Date: The sooner, the better.

Budget Range: 1000-1400$

System Usage: Gaming.

Parts Not Required: Mouse, keyboard, speakers, monitor and DVD-drive.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I've been looking at newegg.ca and tigerdirect.ca mostly but anywhere where the price/service is good won't yield any objections on my end.

Country of Origin: Canada.

Parts Preferences: Sandy Bridge build with unlocked "K" processor for overclocking

Overclocking: Definitely. I read somewhere that anyone building a computer today has to overclock, it offers great returns for manageable risk. Also, just for the fun of it.

SLI or Crossfire: Yes, but I see a dual card setup as a way to prolong the GPU's life. I see myself buying the second one later on and would like to get a card now which would do the trick by itself for the time being.

Monitor Resolution: Right now it's 1680x1050. Like I said, I will be upgrading my monitor once I've recovered from the shock of this expense. :)

Additional Comments: I think a cooler would be important to have but I don't know enough to be able to make a good judgment on the subject. Also, I've opted for the i5 CPU over the i7 as I'm under the impression that Hyper-threading is going to have a negative effect on my computer's gaming performance. Isn't the added heat better used by overclocking the CPU?

CPU: 220$

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

Motherboard: 240$

ASUS P8P67 Pro B3 Intel P67 Motherboard - ATX, Socket H2 (LGA 1155), Intel P67 Express, 2200MHz DDR3 (O.C.), Gigabit LAN, 8-Channel Audio, SATA 6.0 Gb/s, SuperSpeed USB 3.0, SLI/CrossFireX, Bluetooth

GPU: 280$

HIS H695F2G2M Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

RAM: 78$

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBXH

PSU: 150$

XFX Black Edition XPS-850W-BES 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Case: 98$

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Cooling:

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

HDD: 100$ part of a combo with the OS

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

BadChap

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
I have a more specific question. I still haven't included an OS or extra cooling but keeping in mind that I will overclock my PC and that my GPU will probably find some long lost twin in the future, would extra cooling be necessary? Is my PSU sufficient?

Mescalito

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
You have a computer case listed under you PSU spec...

I am building what appears to be your comps little brother (see my recent thread in the new builds section - verifying component compatibility for budget new comp). You might be interested in this combo deal I hunted down for case and PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.612608

I don't know enough to say that the PSU will be sufficient for you as your machine will draw a fair amount more juice than mine. Good Luck!

BadChap

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
Thanks for pointing it out, I just fixed it. The combo you just posted is great considering that was one of the cases I was looking at. I just need to figure out if the 650W can handle the added strain on the whole system from OCing and Crossfire.

If it's fine then there's no real reason to keep the 850W.