January 4, 2011 1:20:50 PM

I have the following pc:

msi p55-gd65
core i5 760 - stock
ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB - Stock
ripjaws 2x2gb 1600
corsair 750W
coolermaster hyper 212+

I play games at 1024x768 and whenever i play Devil may cry 4, i'll randomly experience static images(something like when ur television is not connected to any input, the black and white spots, only i get colored spots) they appear momentarily and vanish.

Also when i play just cause 2, when i turn off v-sync, i get fps that from 60~30, but they output isnt smooth, it gets slow, then suddenly it speeds up~! when i turn off v-sync, it runs smoothly but theres a lot of horizontal screen tearing when i rotate the camera quickly~

I recently reinstalled win 7 64 bit. I didn't have any problem with DMC4 before the reinstall but the problem with just cause existed even before. My direct x is up to date and i am using the latest nvidia drivers. Also i was playing DMC3 while directx was updating and the drivers were being installed, all at the same time~ is this the cause of the problem? I use a CRT 15-inch.
a c 172 U Graphics card
January 4, 2011 1:23:59 PM

How long have you have had this card and how are you maintaining it? Artifacting is usually a sign of failure.
m
l
January 4, 2011 1:27:11 PM

nforce4max said:
How long have you have had this card and how are you maintaining it? Artifacting is usually a sign of failure.

i started using it barely a month ago (mid december) i dun get any artefacting in JC2 also i can run MSI kombuster without any artefacting and get temps of around 73( at stock or 800Mhz overclocked)
m
l
Related resources
a c 172 U Graphics card
January 4, 2011 2:43:05 PM

What brand is this card and is it reference or something more custom? I suggest that you ramp up that fanspeed because the GTX 460 usually doesn't reach that temp except for in a case with poor airlow or a hot climate.
m
l
January 4, 2011 3:18:51 PM

nforce4max said:
What brand is this card and is it reference or something more custom? I suggest that you ramp up that fanspeed because the GTX 460 usually doesn't reach that temp except for in a case with poor airlow or a hot climate.

The card is asus and the climate here is hot and my cabinet has kind of poor airflow too

I opened the case recently to clean it and i might have bumped the card a little, do you think the cooler got loose or anything?~ cause the game keeps crashing after sometime~ Only DMC4 crashes, JC2 doesn't~ Also i hear a slight Buzzing noise from my PSU (yes psu) its very low and u have to be very close to the psu to hear it.
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
January 4, 2011 3:31:20 PM

Coldcoff33 said:
The card is asus and the climate here is hot and my cabinet has kind of poor airflow too

I opened the case recently to clean it and i might have bumped the card a little, do you think the cooler got loose or anything?~ cause the game keeps crashing after sometime~ Only DMC4 crashes, JC2 doesn't~ Also i hear a slight Buzzing noise from my PSU (yes psu) its very low and u have to be very close to the psu to hear it.

No the cooler has a four point mounting so bumping it shouldn't have done any harm. You just solved the problem your self. You need to improve the air flow with in the case and maybe the room at the least. If you are unable to run the A/C at least open a window and place a fan to help rid of some of the heat. I also live in a hot climate (1/3-1/2 of the year is summer) so more airflow cooler room all equal better temps and more stable hardware. If the artifacting remains then you have little choice but to return the card or RMA for a new one as you acted to late.
m
l
January 5, 2011 1:17:12 PM

nforce4max said:
No the cooler has a four point mounting so bumping it shouldn't have done any harm. You just solved the problem your self. You need to improve the air flow with in the case and maybe the room at the least. If you are unable to run the A/C at least open a window and place a fan to help rid of some of the heat. I also live in a hot climate (1/3-1/2 of the year is summer) so more airflow cooler room all equal better temps and more stable hardware. If the artifacting remains then you have little choice but to return the card or RMA for a new one as you acted to late.

Is it possible that my problems arise from a faulty PSU? I read the buzzing sound indicates bad capacitors in the PSU. This will help me decide which part is faulty
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
January 5, 2011 4:27:26 PM

Coldcoff33 said:
Is it possible that my problems arise from a faulty PSU? I read the buzzing sound indicates bad capacitors in the PSU. This will help me decide which part is faulty

Capacitors hardly make buzzing sounds except for solid states and are limited to lower voltages vs electrolytics. Its the choke coils that can make the buzz and if you got the noise then ditch the unit as quickly as possible. I suggest that you look for a high quality unit and not what the sticker would suggest. I suggest at the least a antec unit as they often order from Seasonic and they make the best units that money can buy.
m
l
January 6, 2011 6:35:47 AM

nforce4max said:
Capacitors hardly make buzzing sounds except for solid states and are limited to lower voltages vs electrolytics. Its the choke coils that can make the buzz and if you got the noise then ditch the unit as quickly as possible. I suggest that you look for a high quality unit and not what the sticker would suggest. I suggest at the least a antec unit as they often order from Seasonic and they make the best units that money can buy.

I thought Corsair was good~ Soo many good ratings on newegg? Its TX750, the best rated PSU on newegg. hmm. anyways i think temperature was the problem. The buzz from PSu was not an isolated problem as even my TV and mobile charger were producing the buzz! Somethings wrong with my house's electricity!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2011 6:48:20 AM

Its possible that the OP received a faulty PSU, but you should improve airflow in te case and clean out all the dust.
m
l
January 6, 2011 11:15:59 AM

Tamz_msc said:
Its possible that the OP received a faulty PSU, but you should improve airflow in te case and clean out all the dust.

I think the issue was with my mains. Now i am not getting any buzzing noise in any appliance in my house, and the artefacting problem seems to have vanished. I ran OCCT 3.1.0 for over an hour to check for any errors and didn't get any~ Is this reliable? Or do i run it longer?
m
l
!