Using H67 for music production build???

minezis

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Hey everyone. Looks like there are a few new (B3) mobo's arriving to new egg. I guess my first question would be should I go H67 route for a music production build? As far as I am concerned, overclocking wont be necessary, nor am I too interested in doing so(I like my machines lasting for a few years). Ill be working with Cubase 5-6 mostly for Digital recording's and mucking around with pleanty of VST's an such. Now as we all know, if not no offense, H67 mobo's have built in graphics (GPU), so that is also a plus for me. Considering most the work I will be doing with this build is music production and therefore no extra GPU necessary(but always optional). The nice thing about having the H67 motherboard in my terms seems to me that Ill still be getting plenty of Turbo boost which I believe is still a fair amount advantage to CPU increase and is enough for what I am doing. I guess in all reality I just havent really gotten the nerve to start overclocking machines for what it is I am doing. I cant really see the benefits in such a degree that I will be overwhelmed with increased performance due to a slight increase from overclocking. TURBO in itself is fine. So to end this sort of endless babble, question stated above, what does everyone think about the H67 route concluding with music production performance? Seems reasonable to me.

I personally like this motherboard because its atx NOT matx: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128475

P.S. I was thinking, it could also be a smart move to purchase the K series CPU for a future build with the Z68 motherboards(overclocking & built in GPU). All you have to do is purchase a new motherboard........

Jsplinter

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
How much more will Z68 boards cost?

Minezis, I'm looking to do the same thing as I don't really need high end graphics support, but I would love to be able to overclock even if it shortens the life of the processor.

These chips run cool, so if you have a decent h/s and you don't slam a bunch of volts into it that cpu should run for as long as you own it and still get a decent o/c out of it.

minezis

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011

Yea H67 as of now looks like the mobo of choice for me and especially for what Ill be using it for. Majority of people looking to buy P67 mobo's are gamers wanting to OC the heck out of the CPU. I dont really need to OC since Turbo(3.4 to 3.8 i7 2600k) already does enough for what Ill be doing music wise. As for graphics the i7 2600k gives you Intel 3000 HD graphics on H67 and does a mighty fine job and running graphics for music production etc even some games! Although I am still considering purchasing the Z68 mobo once it arrives because it looks as though you can get best of both worlds (integrated graphics & OC compatible).

minezis

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011

so how do the "volts" effect the processor. ??? as of going from 1.3 to say 1.4. sorry Im a noob at OC.