Sign in with
Your question

New graphics card maybe the cause of my in-game lag?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Lag
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 4, 2011 1:51:12 PM

Hey guys, I just recently installed my Radeon HD 5770 Graphics card.
The card is working flawlessly, but ever since it was installed as of last night, I have been experiencing much lag in Starcraft 2 and World of Warcraft.

Can running high graphics in a game increase your lag? Or is this all just highly coincidental.

If the graphics are the cause of my lag; how can I fix it?

More about : graphics card game lag

a c 188 U Graphics card
January 4, 2011 2:12:46 PM

By high graphics you mean high settings, shadows, high resolution, then yes. That's really the only cause of slow game issues if you rule out just plain graphic engine requirements and maybe internet lag. Did you install the drivers for the card? Go online and get the latests drivers for it. What are the rest of yoru system specs?
m
l
January 4, 2011 2:25:12 PM

Yes I have the drivers in stalled.

Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 @2.3GHz
3GB DDR2 RAM
m
l
Related resources
January 4, 2011 2:29:51 PM

they are just fine,well i heard that ati's drivers are the problems,because it is just that problem of drivers,if i would be you i would try it on a different pc to make sure that its not pc problem.
m
l
January 4, 2011 2:34:14 PM

I have no other PC available for MY use, my parents run a business from home, they're all work computers.

There's no way either it could be my PSU could it?

ThermalTake 600w
m
l
January 4, 2011 3:20:09 PM

no way its probably not,its more than enough for even a gtx 460,so its not a problem,well do you have any other friend's pc,you just need to check,or you should go to shop from where you bought it and let shopkeeper check it,hope this helps.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2011 3:29:37 PM

If you are sure that your drivers are properly installed and that any previous drivers have been totally eliminated then it is def your cpu which is causing lag, starcraft is cpu limited and your low clock speed on your quad core is not helping things your video card should be good enough to run sc 2 on reasonable settings (with an ample cpu), so I would either overclock your cpu or upgrade as sc2 will see little performance increase over a gtx 460 because as I said the game is cpu limited like many rtss. Also 4-6 gigs of ram is pretty standard for gaming these days...
without an efficiency rating a 600w thermaltake is a toss up although it is probably fine, its your cpu...
running high settings on a game can increase the lag if you do not have ample hardware to run it, I think if you oc your processor (which could cause a psu conflict with your suspect thermaltake,) you should be able to run sc2 at high res and high settings with no aa, and not ultra settings, what is your monitors resolution??, and what are your game detail settings>? disable aa, and keep settings to med-high (not ultra settings) and you should be fine. Otherwise decrease the resolution and detail quality until the game is playable, but overall you are being limited by our cpu currently..

download fraps and start it before gameplay so you can see what kind of frames you are getting, for rts games most say that if fps is 30 and above it is playable, this is also a good way to determine how much the overclock of you cpu effected the real world gameplay which it should help if you were to overclock it somewhere in the ballpark of 3.0 ghz or more...
m
l
!