Sign in with
Your question

Need help upgrading my pc

Last response: in Systems
March 9, 2011 6:01:20 PM

I have been thinking about upgrading my system for awhile now and finally decided to do it after observing undesirable results with newer games.

Due to my lack of experience with hardware, I have come here to ask for guidance.

My pc's specs :

Motherboard : M4N68T-M V2 ( http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681... )
CPU : AMD athlon II X4 640 3.0 Ghz
GPU : Nvidia GTS250 (1024MB)
RAM : 4GB DDRIII 1333 (2x 2GB)
PSU : Unfortunately I have lost the specifications of my PSU. I know that it is a 500 watt PSU but have no clue regarding amps and rails.

I assume that these parts are all that matter.

If possible, I would only like to upgrade my GPU but I am worried that a "bottleneck" might occur.
The PSU is also a worry, is there a way to find out more about it?

I have come to understand that sli is not an option for me as the motherboard does not support more than one GPU, my PSU probably would not be able to handle it anyway.

My budget for a new GPU can not exceed 200-250 euro.

Thank all of you in advance.

More about : upgrading

March 9, 2011 6:12:59 PM

RndmKra said:
I have been thinking about upgrading my system for awhile now and finally decided to do it after observing undesirable results with newer games.

Due to my lack of experience with hardware, I have come here to ask for guidance.

My pc's specs :

Motherboard : M4N68T-M V2 ( http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681... )
CPU : AMD athlon II X4 640 3.0 Ghz
GPU : Nvidia GTS250 (1024MB)
RAM : 4GB DDRIII 1333 (2x 2GB)
PSU : Unfortunately I have lost the specifications of my PSU. I know that it is a 500 watt PSU but have no clue regarding amps and rails.

I assume that these parts are all that matter.

If possible, I would only like to upgrade my GPU but I am worried that a "bottleneck" might occur.
The PSU is also a worry, is there a way to find out more about it?

I have come to understand that sli is not an option for me as the motherboard does not support more than one GPU, my PSU probably would not be able to handle it anyway.

My budget for a new GPU can not exceed 200-250 euro.

Thank all of you in advance.

you can try a gtx 460,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

it works real good, i think the power requriement is 450w, (but not sure too lazy to look at the box in my closet) it needs 2x6-pin power connectors though,

im not sure if your cpu would bottleneck it, but the phenom965BE that im using doesnt bottleneck it, (i dont think) but if it did, the gpu would go even further,

the hdmi on it works fine too, 1920x1080, and the card works great on crysis, assasins creed, and other games, oh and especially starcraft 2 hehe
March 9, 2011 10:29:39 PM

The gtx 460 definitely looks interesting, the PSU requirements seem to be on par with my gts 250.

Could you give more explanation regarding pin power connectors?
Is there anything else I need to watch out for?

Thanks

Related resources
March 9, 2011 10:32:39 PM

the 460 will come with converters to use 2 of the 4-pin Molex power connectors to replace a 6-pin connector if you need to.
March 9, 2011 10:36:36 PM

You need to look for a cable coming out of your PSU that has a 6-pin connector on the end of it. You should find at least one so use that and then find two 4-pin molex connectors use a two 4-pin to one 6-pin adapter and you're set.
March 9, 2011 10:48:54 PM

RndmKra said:
The gtx 460 definitely looks interesting, the PSU requirements seem to be on par with my gts 250.

Could you give more explanation regarding pin power connectors?
Is there anything else I need to watch out for?

Thanks

the power pin connector, youll need at least 2x6-pin
the but if you dont have 6-pins, then it comes with converters, im not sure if theres one or two, the converter requires 2x4-pin molex,(like what screwysqrl said) i cant find the box, so i dunno how many converters there are
March 9, 2011 10:59:45 PM

it wont let me edit my message,
but any way i found the box, yes it does come with 2x4-pin molex converters, a mini hdmi-hdmi conveter, a bumper sticker, and a cute little bubble sticker in the driver disc envolope(always use the latest drivers)

requirements are :

-2 6-pin pci express power connectors or 4 avalable hard disk power connectors(molex)
-450w or greater power supply with a minimum of 24 amps on the 12 volt rail.

references
-i have the box =^-^=
!