• Radeon
  • DVI
  • VGA
  • HDMI
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 4, 2011 3:43:35 PM

I have an ATI Radeon HD 5450 graphics card (512 MB) in my HP Pavilion Elite. The graphics card has two ports--a DVI and an HDMI. I have two monitors, both VGA. I have no problem connecting the VGA monitors to the DVI port using a DVI-to-VGA adapter, but I cannot convince my computer to recognize either monitor through the HDMI port.

I've tried two solutions--one was a simple splitter from the DVI port, which as I expected displayed both monitors but only as clones--it would not do an extended display. The second was to add an HDMI-to-DVI-D adapter onto the the existing DVI-to-VGA adapter. I thought this might work, but the monitor doesn't detect a signal, and now I'm not sure if it's because the principle is wrong (i.e it is impossible to convert to a VGA signal through the HDMI port) or because my HDMI-to-DVI adapter is bad. It seems like, if the card can convert to the VGA at all, it shouldn't matter which port I'm using, but I'm not sure.

Any suggestions?

More about : connect vga monitor vidoe card hdmi port

January 4, 2011 4:32:48 PM

Simple as this; if the monitor isn't HD-Ready (with HDMI) then it cannot do HD

VGA-DVI is the only way to them monitors.
m
l
a b C Monitor
January 4, 2011 4:35:16 PM

HDMI is a digital interface. VGA is an analog interface. Like DVI-D, you can't use HDMI to connect to a analog device. Sorry to not give better news. Good luck!
m
l
Related resources
!