Sign in with
Your question

Needing Help Choosing a Graphics Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 4, 2011 4:13:12 PM

Hi

I have a Packard Bell iMedia s3810

Background Info
I recently got the Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT (1Gb) for my Christmas. Unfortunately it wasnt able to be full installed in the computer. I managed to get it in with the fan on the side (so it provided some cooling). On start up we were able to see things but we were unable to hear the sound (the input and output of the card was HDMI). Upon further inspection i found the HD Audio Cable, but was unable to connect it to my graphics card.

Main Question
I was wondering if anyone knows if that card should work or is able to provide me with some details of cards that will work in my PC. Someone online said it would need to be a "Low Profile".

Any Response would be appreciated =)

a c 271 U Graphics card
January 4, 2011 4:35:07 PM

Have you tried connecting via DVI or VGA?
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2011 5:40:18 PM

DARTZY-iMedia s3810 said:
Hi

I have a Packard Bell iMedia s3810

Background Info
I recently got the Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT (1Gb) for my Christmas. Unfortunately it wasnt able to be full installed in the computer. I managed to get it in with the fan on the side (so it provided some cooling). On start up we were able to see things but we were unable to hear the sound (the input and output of the card was HDMI). Upon further inspection i found the HD Audio Cable, but was unable to connect it to my graphics card.

Main Question
I was wondering if anyone knows if that card should work or is able to provide me with some details of cards that will work in my PC. Someone online said it would need to be a "Low Profile".

Any Response would be appreciated =)

sounds pretty miserable, what are the complete system specs of your packard bell? I'm seeing one with an i3 which would be decent but what are your exact specs?? You will most likely need a psu upgrade for any worthwhile gpu upgrade imo if that is stock

are you fulling plugging the card in?? is the case for your machine extra small requiring a "low profile card"? if you need a low-profile card and the 9500 is not low pro, then there should be no possible way that it will fit if that is the case..

like mousemonkey said try the other ports; vga/dvi bc oftentimes the hdmi can be goofey when first installing the card.

If you can try the gpu in another machine to see if it is functional or not then do that, also I'm starting to question your installation method/procedure, sorry if im wrong but it seems kind of vague if you are installing it correctly or if it can be installed properly with your given machine, also if the fan on the gpu is not spinning upon startup then it is not being properly powered..

The "HD audio cable" you are refering to is most likely optical im guessing, and in that case you would be much better transmitting the audio via hdmi which is the best, that is of course if you have it properly routed through a capable reciever,etc. also make sure that you have selected the right drivers in windows to run your audio, the OS could still be looking to run your standard spdif drivers or what have you when you are using an hdmi path or vice versa, so check all these things and see if that solves your problem. Also make sure that the latest nvidia drivers are installed from the webpage...

give us some more info so we can sort this out.
!