Time to upgrade, what card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoobertdoo

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
going to be buying a vid card in the next two hours.
leaning for a 5 series N.

why N and not A?
because i will be buying a 3d monitor in the next few weeks.
AMD does not have 3D.
not 3D i can buy anyhow.

spending $200

suggestions.
i might buy the monitor kit today, $499 for the asus bundle.
i have the oldest vid card that will work, so 70% chance i order the monitor today.
current card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130312&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID=

Solution
if you want 3d right now yes its pretty much a one horse show, you can only go nvidia and the 5 series is the way to go... problem is there are no gtx 5 series cards for under 300 and you wanna spend 200...

now amd is working on 3d and thier 6 series supports it, however to date (i may be wrong if they have released since but not to my knowlage) there are no compatable monitors yet

for 200 maybe a gtx 460 1 gig.. the 560 are gonna show up eventually that might be a betrter option if you can wait that long, and itll probably even out the market and you might have ati/amd compatable monitor's by then to compare and get the best possible system

shoot if you got the money to throw around and are set on the "n" 5 series then grab a gtx 580 if you have an ample power supply, overall I would say that a gtx 570 is probly a better value... but if you want to go top of the line grab a 580 for a 3d solution

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
if you want 3d right now yes its pretty much a one horse show, you can only go nvidia and the 5 series is the way to go... problem is there are no gtx 5 series cards for under 300 and you wanna spend 200...

now amd is working on 3d and thier 6 series supports it, however to date (i may be wrong if they have released since but not to my knowlage) there are no compatable monitors yet

for 200 maybe a gtx 460 1 gig.. the 560 are gonna show up eventually that might be a betrter option if you can wait that long, and itll probably even out the market and you might have ati/amd compatable monitor's by then to compare and get the best possible system

Solution

yeah this is good advice but overall I wouldnt go for anything less then the gtx 570 right now so the logical thing to do would be to increase your budget or wait... the 5 series should have enough muscle to give you the performance that you are seeking also if you are spending 4-5 hundred dollars already on a monitor then there is no logic in going with a mainstream level gpu for 3D

Here are some options that will do very nicely with a 3D Vision setup. They are all factory overclocked and come with very effective and quiet custom cooling:

Less than $300

Gigabyte GTX470 Superoverclock:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125338
Review: http://www.guru3d.com/article/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-470-soc-review/

MSI GTX470 Twin Frozr II:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127513

Less than $200

Gigabyte GTX460 Superoverclock:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125345

ECS GTX460 Black:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134117

these are good suggestions I would go for a 470 for a little extra muscle if you can

scoobertdoo

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

thanks for clearing that up for me.

interesting but regardless, apple rapes people with prices and proprietary components everyday.... you might as well go to best buy and pay THEM 50 dollars to recycle your old desktop if you are going to buy an apple product... that being said< I know I know the iphone/ipad/ipods are great etc but I just like to cut them down whenever possible sorry for getting off topic...

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
no prob bud :D

i tried to find a breakdown of the active shutter glasses cost for ya, but i for the life of me could not find one. I'd agree that a 470 woudl work fine for single monitor 3d, but 5 series would obviously be better. perhaps space out the purchase and get the monitor/ graphics card in your budget if you cna find and the glasses later?

^ i agree they overcharge by alot ... i only own one apple product a 160 gig ipod classic because i won it, would not ahve bought it, and i mostly use it as a 160 gig external drive for passing files pc to pc :D

also as you can run WoW off a external drive i have WoW on there for use on other pc's

no doubt thats a really nice one, but still your paying 290 for a gtx 470 which imo is outrageous considering price/performance, but since 3d is what the op is going for it kind of puts him in a tough spot with the given budget, I agree with goofysmile you should just upgrade the gpu now (gtx 570/580), then get the monitor when you can afford or vice versa

huh thats funny and interesting as hell... i have a 160 gig too bc who wants 8 gigs of storage on an ipodtouch? did you just reformat it to store files or is it drop and drag? how does that work I havent messed with it in a while

yeah nvidia is the smart way to go for 3d as far as im concerned, and if you don't have an sli capable motherboard then your best bet is probably the gtx 580, if you do have an sli board then 2 gtx 460 1 gigs seems to be one hell of a value and, hopefully... the single and sli gtx 560s (when they are released) will be a good value as a single card and offer great sli scaling...

also remember, there are definatley some people who are dumping their 480s for 580s, and then there is the oddball chance that you could get a great deal on a gtx 480 on ebay say for example, which would trump all other recommendations (depending on price) but it is just not practical to recommend and most people want a new product with a full warranty...

I'm awaiting the 560's with great anticipation as I've had a play with a 768MB 460 and was quite impressed with it's performance compared to my 8800GT SLi setup.

yeah the 560 would be a nice upgrade for you, and another for sli in the future would I'm sure be even sweeter! how did the 768 mb 460 hold up against 8800gt SLI? would you say the 768 mb 460 surpasses 8800gts SLI in dx10>?

Status
Not open for further replies.