Sign in with
Your question

Trouble with memory upgrade.

Last response: in Memory
February 9, 2012 7:19:02 PM

I am trying to upgrade the memory on an Acer AX3910-U2032 computer from 4 GB to 8
GB DDR3-1333. I have tried 3 different brands of memory - PNY, Corsair, and Crucial.

2 choices were PC3-10600, and the 3rd choice was PC3-10666. Original memory is PC3-10600.

This computer has 4 memory slots. Maximum of 2GB per slot.
OS is Win 7 - 64 Bit.

When I install two or four new memory sticks, the computer would not boot.
Instead, a constant tone emitted.
To my understanding, this signifies a memory error. The computer does not recognize the new memory.

I have tried to mix the original memory with new memory. This also did not work.

When I place the old memory back in, the computer boots as it should.

Is there a step, or steps that I need to perform to get the AX3910 to accept the new memory?

Thank you in advance.

More about : trouble memory upgrade

a b } Memory
February 9, 2012 7:32:29 PM

What I would do is shut down and unplug the psu and then take out the cmos battery and remove all of the ram. Wait a few minutes and put the battery back in and put in the new ram that you want to use and then plug in the power supply and see if that will let it start up.
m
l
February 9, 2012 7:44:21 PM

Thank you for the reply.

I will give that a try.
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
February 9, 2012 7:48:17 PM

Keep us posted.
m
l
February 9, 2012 8:15:51 PM

I tried the procedure that inzone suggested.

Unfortunately, this did not solve the problem.

I still have a constant tone, and the computer will not boot.

Additional suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
m
l
a b } Memory
February 9, 2012 9:28:07 PM

Well we know that the computer does work and it works with 4gb of the ram that it came with.
What is the make and model of the ram that works? Did you try adding 4gb of the exact same make and model ram? What are the make , model and sizes of the ram that you have tried?
I know that this might be tedious and slow but since I'm not there and there is no direct contact and we have to do everything through these posts and asking a lot of questions to get to know the exact circunstances that you have.
m
l
February 9, 2012 9:54:03 PM

inzone said:
Well we know that the computer does work and it works with 4gb of the ram that it came with.
What is the make and model of the ram that works? Did you try adding 4gb of the exact same make and model ram? What are the make , model and sizes of the ram that you have tried?
I know that this might be tedious and slow but since I'm not there and there is no direct contact and we have to do everything through these posts and asking a lot of questions to get to know the exact circunstances that you have.

Not tedious at all. I appreciate your help.

There is no brand name on the original memory. Just size, and speed: 2GB 10600. I wish there was a brand name. I would like to just add 4 GB more of what is in the computer.

I've tried PNY, and Crucial DDR3-1333. Both of those brands were PC3-10600. I received the same constant tone, and failure to boot when trying to use those brands.

I returned those in exchange for Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333, PC3-10666. I still get the same memory error tone, and failure to boot.

When I go into BIOS with the original memory installed, there is not much to choose from. Very basic information. I do not see any choices to make changes.
m
l
a b } Memory
February 9, 2012 10:13:29 PM

So you have 4gb of this noname ram installed and you bought 4gb of PNY and 4gb of Crucial and neither one wrked when added to the noname or when by themselves and then you returned those for 4gb of Corsair and the same thing.
There has to be a setting in the bios to resrtict the type of ram to only the noname , I know it sounds a little strange but these Pc makers are known to make thier Pc's in a very restrictive way. I had a Dell once that was that way and that's part of the reason I started building my own.
I think that your best option is to call the tech support of the manufacturer and see if there is a way around this.
m
l
February 9, 2012 10:34:52 PM

I think that is what I'll have to do. I have sent a couple of email questions to Acer, but have yet to hear from their support.

And I stand corrected, the ram that is in the computer is Samsung brand. There was a bar code sticker placed over the brand name.

Exact numbers: 2GB 2Rx8 PC3-10600U-09-10-B0

M378B5673EH1 - CH9 1013

I hope this will help.
m
l
a b } Memory
February 9, 2012 10:54:39 PM

It may have helped I think that your problem may be the voltage because when I looked up some Samsung ram kits I noticed that they were all 1.35v so if you can see on the ram stick any voltage number that may tell you what type of ram will work. Some ram is 1.5v or 1.65v , 2.0v or 2.1v and this could be important if you can find any voltage numbers on those ram sticks.
m
l
February 10, 2012 12:00:50 AM

I have not been able to find the voltage listed on the ram module itself.

But, I did a search on the Samsung number & came up with 1.5V for the ram from Samsung site.

Also, I just completed a CPU-Z scan on this Acer computer. Memory shows 1.5V on the SPD report.

I think the variable is the "U" associated with this particular memory. (10600U-09-10-B0)

Micro Center does have Samsung 10600U memory in stock.

I think my next stop is by the store tomorrow, and try that memory.

Hopefully, that will work. I will post either way.

Thank you again for your help.
m
l
a b } Memory
February 10, 2012 2:38:51 AM

Good luck with your shopping and I hope it eorks out for you.
m
l
!