P8Z68-V LE - System powers on, fans spin up and then shuts off

Status
Not open for further replies.

petronius

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
Not sure what to try at this point. :( When I power on the system, the fans kick on for about 1 second and then everything shuts off. I have to cycle the power on the power supply before I can repower the system. I'm assuming the PS is breaking the circuit for whatever reason.

I've tried removing everything except for the CPU and I still have the same problem. I saw a different post about the backplate for the FRIO possibly grounding out on the case but it seems to me I wouldn't get any power if that were true.

Hardware:
Case: COOLER MASTER Storm Sniper SGC-6000-KXN1-GP Black Steel, ABS Plastic, Mesh bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Power Supply: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RSA00-AMBAJ3-US 1000W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
MB: ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Overclocking-Ready Intel Core i7 (six-core ready) & i5 Compatible Five 8mm Heatpipes Dual 120mm Fans Intel & AMD Universal CPU Cooler CLP0564
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K2/8G
Graphics Card: EVGA 012-P3-1570-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Any help is appreciated.

-J

Solution
-- Verify that the power cables, both the 24-pin and the 8-pin, are properly connected.
-- Verify that the cpu cooler is properly seated with the appropriate thermal interface material.
-- Verify that RAM BIOS settings for speed, latencies, and voltage match those printed on the stickers on the RAM.

Then:
-- Run memtest86+ through a complete cycle for each of the RAM sticks, unless it shows errors. Errors mean the RAM stick is bad.
-- If each stick passes, then run memtest again on both sticks.
-- Verify that the power cables, both the 24-pin and the 8-pin, are properly connected.
-- Verify that the cpu cooler is properly seated with the appropriate thermal interface material.
-- Verify that RAM BIOS settings for speed, latencies, and voltage match those printed on the stickers on the RAM.

Then:
-- Run memtest86+ through a complete cycle for each of the RAM sticks, unless it shows errors. Errors mean the RAM stick is bad.
-- If each stick passes, then run memtest again on both sticks.

Solution

petronius

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012

Thanks for the reply, I've verified the first 2 suggestions already. However; your last 2 suggestions assume that I can keep the power on for longer than a couple of seconds, which I can't. So unless I'm missing something, how can I look at BIOS settings & run memtests without power? :??:

Status
Not open for further replies.