Which Power Supply is compatible with my unit?

k0mod0

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I have an HP m8120n Media Centre PC, and I've gone through a few power supplies already. I usually would go through one a year and buy a Dynex 500W one from Best Buy. Recently I purchased a Rocketfish one from there, and it didn't have the proper connectors.

In terms of my problem, the fan on the power supply spontaneously ramps up loudly (especially when i'm gaming), and recently, it started just shutting down my machine while i'm gaming (and I can smell burning), I'd have to wait a few minutes before I can turn it on again.

My chipset is Intel ® P965 Express. I just wanna know what I should look for when I buy this power supply as far as connectors because i'm worried if I order a brand new highly rated power supply, it won't hook up to my mobo.

k0mod0

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I'm currently running a 512mb 9800GT made by Zotac. I have a dual monitor setup at the moment. I'm not concerned with connectors for my peripherals, my main concern is with the motherboard connection.

For a single GeForce 9800 GT graphics card system NVIDIA recommends that the power supply unit have at least 400 Watts or greater with a maximum combined +12 Volt current rating of 26 Amps or greater.

Did the power supplies that have been purchasing have a maximum combined +12 Volt current rating of 26 Amps or greater? If they were lower that would explain why you have been going through a power supply a year which is abnormal. The power supply's wattage is not the critical specification. The +12 Volt current rating is the most critical followed by DC output quality.

That Rocketfish power supply should have met the ATX12V v2.3 revision and have all the required power connectors.

The problem you experienced with the power supply's fan ramping up and the smell of burning electronics while you were gaming tells me that the power supply was overstressed and its protection circuits were triggered. That's a sign of a power supply with inadequate specs.

Does your motherboard feature a 20 pin connector or 24 pin connector? Regardless, this PSU will work out for you -

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

If you do not like rebates then depending on your budget, either of these will work -

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371035

www.newegg.com/Product/ProductSpecification.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033

k0mod0

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
ko888, I've attatched the photo of the specs on the side of my PSU since I don't exactly know how to properly read the voltage and amperage ratings on the box.
img2011060900079.jpg

Emperus, I believe it's a 20 pin, and there's another 4 pin that connects on another section of the motherboard, so those PSU's that you've linked should all work properly?

I appreciate everyone's help.

That Dynex DX-PS500W made by Huntkey is 500 Watts Peak and 400 Watts Continous. It should have a maximum combined +12 Volt current rating of 29 Amps Peak and 23 Amps Continuous.

It doesn't meet the minimum of a combined +12 Volt current rating of 26 Amps or greater continuous recommended for a single GeForce 9800 GT graphics card system. That's what's causing the shutdowns and burning smell and why you have to wait for the protection circuits to reset.

k0mod0

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
That all makes sense thanks ko888. As far as the power supplies linked by Emperus, they all have a 20+4 pin connection (which appears to be one piece), but will this work with my 20 pin connector?

I'm sorry for all these silly questions, computer hardware isn't really my forte.

A 20+4 pin power cable has two pieces: a 20 pin piece, and a 4 pin piece. If you leave the two pieces separate then you can plug the 20 pin piece into a 20 pin motherboard and leave the 4 pin piece unplugged.

all20plus4.jpg