Sign in with
Your question
Solved

2500K Final Build -Best Bang for the Buck critique ~$1,500

Last response: in Systems
March 10, 2011 12:42:24 AM

First let me say thanks all in advance for any pearls of wisdom you can share. I have been reading quite a bit and think I have pretty much nailed down the build.

First time builder as well...the system below I built on AVA Direct and it came out to about 300 more is it worth it for warranties and labor to just have AVA build?

Approximate Purchase Date: this week (the closer the better))

Budget Range: roughly $1,500 (not so much a budget so it can go up just looking for that sweet spot between price and performance) ie not spending an extra 300 for 2+ FPS

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing the internet, watching/scribing movies

Parts Not Required:keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, Microcenter

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Later

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Additional Comments: Not looking to fire up a jet engine everytime I boot it up..so as quiet as possible

CPU: 179.99(micro Center
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819115072

Mobo: 179.99
ASUS P8P67 PRO, LGA1155, Intel® P67, DDR3-2200 (O.C.) 32GB /4, PCIe x16 SLI CF /2, SATA 3 Gb/s RAID 5 /6, 6 Gb/s /4, USB 3.0 /4, HDA, GbLAN, BT, FW /2, ATX, Retail

RAM: 129.98
MUSHKIN 8GB (4 x 2GB) Blackline PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz CL7 (7-9-7-24) 1.65V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU: 249.99
EVGA GeForce® GTX 560 Ti FPB (KR) 850MHz, 1GB GDDR5 4104MHz, PCIe x16 SLI, 2x DVI+mini-HDMI, Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E168...

Case: 159.99
Antec DF-85 Black Computer Case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E168...

PSU: 139.99
CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX HX Series Power Supply w/ Modular Cables, 850W, 80 PLUS®, 24-pin ATX12V EPS12V, 6x 8-pin PCIe http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E168...

Misc stuff: 248.94
• SAMSUNG 1TB SpinPoint F3, SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200-RPM, 32MB Cache, Retail
• SABRENT CRW-UINB Black 65-in-1 Card Reader/Writer Drive, 3.5" Bay, Internal USB
• ASUS DRW-24B3LT Black 24x DVD±R/RW Dual-Layer Burner w/ Lightscribe, SATA, OEM
• MICROSOFT Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition, OEM
• ARCTIC SILVER Arctic Alumina Thermal Compound, Ceramic-Based Polysynthetic
• SCYTHE Mugen-2 Rev.B (SCMG-2100) CPU Cooler, Socket Socket 1156/1366/775/478/AM3/AM2 /939/940/754, Copper/Aluminum, Retail

This comes out to about $1,288

Things I am still waffling on or unsure of are the PSU, Case, and the RAM... but will liste to any suggestions if you have a better pick.
March 10, 2011 1:34:12 AM

Hello Gahzirra;

Isn't the term 'adhesive' missing from the AS Arctic Alumina description? What did you chose that for a thermal compound?
March 10, 2011 1:39:36 AM

All excellent top quality parts. Fully compatible.

If I were in your position I think I'd consider less expensive RAM, case and PSU (750W) to see if you can slip a SSD boot drive in your parts list.
I think that would make give you a increased sense of performance and satisfaction.
Related resources

Best solution

March 10, 2011 1:42:05 AM

Here is a Step-by-Step Guide to Building a PC

Look over the forum's "System won't boot" checklist to see some of the common build errors and how to avoid them.

-> The usual advice; read the manual / install guide; look at the parts, read the manual again and if everything makes sense and looks right - then go ahead with the install.

While you're waiting you can download the online version of the motherboard manual and start getting familiar with it. Same for the other parts you want to order if they have install guides or manuals available.
March 10, 2011 2:37:03 AM

WR2 said:
Hello Gahzirra;

Isn't the term 'adhesive' missing from the AS Arctic Alumina description? What did you chose that for a thermal compound?

= ) copy paste error. I would have chose the Shin etsu compound but AVA Direct doesn't have it and for the sake of comparison I wanted to try and match the builds as closely as possible...Hence also going with the Mushkin, no G Skills available either

March 10, 2011 2:39:52 AM

You can get the p67 pro at tigerdirect now...back from recall. make sure where u buy it it has B3
March 10, 2011 2:42:40 AM

WR2 said:
All excellent top quality parts. Fully compatible.

If I were in your position I think I'd consider less expensive RAM, case and PSU (750W) to see if you can slip a SSD boot drive in your parts list.
I think that would make give you a increased sense of performance and satisfaction.

Thanks I thought about this as well, it's not so much the money as to why I didn't get the SSD OS/Main app but more with the state of tech thats soon to be coming. Understanding that a lot of the next gen's will be hitting the market in the upcoming weeks had me hold off on putting it in the list. I will def be getting one just didn't want to have to wait longer (sandy already prolonged the agony enough)
March 10, 2011 4:26:53 PM

Ok re thought the case, Antec DF-85 seems to have a general idea of being flimsy

So now it looks like:

Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case $159.99

Or the smaller 902 at 109.99

COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Cooler Master has me leery as I see a lot of complaints across several different cases regarding faulty I/O panels causing shorts or rebooting the system if you touch them. QA/customer service could be lacking on CM.

Looking for anyone's advice regarding the case...also I am use to mids but since this was my first build figured I wanted more space to make it easier and cooler later on. If there is a mid that is spacious would like to hear it.

Last thing if I stick with the Antec which of their special PSU's would you recommend??
March 10, 2011 4:48:25 PM

I agree with WR2, i think you could save a bit on that PSU, seems massively overkill. Also a CM HAF 922 or Antec 902 would suit your needs i think. If you can save money on these few things maybe you could get a GTX 580 instead of a SSD, thats what i'd do
March 10, 2011 5:28:05 PM

I'm OK with the RAM & PSU choices as long as it's not limiting you from picking up a bit more performance in other areas.
March 10, 2011 5:39:06 PM

jmsellars1 said:
I agree with WR2, i think you could save a bit on that PSU, seems massively overkill. Also a CM HAF 922 or Antec 902 would suit your needs i think. If you can save money on these few things maybe you could get a GTX 580 instead of a SSD, thats what i'd do

I agree the PSU is overkill for the time being, but is future proofing for OC and SLI if I choose too and its not a huge jump in price over the 750 so for the few more bucks I will take it as insurance.

The CM 922 is one of the problem children for the I/O panel here is a recent quote from Newegg "Honestly, I like the case itself - its stellar. But caveat emptor - the front IO panels have known issues that cost me my home PC, and Coolermaster is terrible to deal with - see below." Thats a pretty common statement I see on the CM cases both for the I/O and customer service. I thought about the HAF-X as it did not seem to share the I/O problem and it seemed pretty popular.

Money was not the issue I just like Bang for my Buck :lol:  So spending a premium so I could have the latest in GPU tech which will soon be replaced once the 590 comes out is not my thing.

So keeping with my theme, I don't have a problem spending the money if its worth it large premiums for little upgrades is not what I am looking for ie. 100% price increase for 10% performance

So with that idea in mind is there anything anyone would change on my selections looking to pull the trigger today...looks like Antec will be the case but 1200 or 902?? Pro's cons of mid vs Full?
March 10, 2011 6:21:30 PM

As was stated earlier a SSD will make a lot of difference on performance. I am using the Intel® Solid-State Drive X25-M 80GB as a boot on my system has gotten boot times around 20 seconds and increased access times on any software on the drive. Overall it is one of the simplest improvements to your system with results that you will be able to see.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
March 10, 2011 6:57:16 PM

jmsellars1 said:

found this that further solidified my decision for the 560TI instead of the 580

Quoted from Why_me
Price of dual factory over clocked gtx 560's in SLI = $500 including shipping.

Price of factory over clocked gtx 580 = $520+

benchmarks of dual gtx 560's in SLI vs single gtx 580...the 560's eat it for lunch.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-560-ti-sli-re...
March 10, 2011 7:02:14 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
As was stated earlier a SSD will make a lot of difference on performance. I am using the Intel® Solid-State Drive X25-M 80GB as a boot on my system has gotten boot times around 20 seconds and increased access times on any software on the drive. Overall it is one of the simplest improvements to your system with results that you will be able to see.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Thanks for the info, I will be getting the SSD but the timing with the main system build is off so its waiting pending OCZ Vertex 3 release

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4186/ocz-vertex-3-preview...
March 11, 2011 4:55:34 PM

Best answer selected by Gahzirra.
March 15, 2011 2:46:21 AM

Oh wow youre right about those dual 560's, do remember though that for SLI you will need to spent a fair bit more on a decent mobo and PSU. Does look worth it though i gotta say.
!