Closed

Program to Rename photos to Date and Time taken???

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 8, 2005 12:27:34 PM

Kind of new to digital photography, need a program that will
rename *.jpg's to date and time taken.
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 8:42:08 PM

In article <36sb40F55i2lrU1@individual.net>,
Bud Snavely <bud.snavely@verizon.net> wrote:
>Kind of new to digital photography, need a program that will
>rename *.jpg's to date and time taken.

JHEAD can extract the date and time from a jpg's EXIF data
and rename the file. It has many other functions -- file
renaming is just one. Information and a free download at:
http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 1:48:27 AM

"Bud Snavely" <bud.snavely@verizon.net> writes:

> Kind of new to digital photography, need a program that will
> rename *.jpg's to date and time taken.

There are *lots* of programs that do this sort of thing. I'm using
one called Siren File Rename, freeware available from
<http://www.scarabee-software.net/&gt;. It will let you use the actual
file date and time (all three), or the EXIF information on when the
picture was shot that digital cameras embed in the files. I find it
very flexible and nice to use.
September 20, 2010 5:05:34 PM

I wrote an app to do this a few years ago, it's called PrettyYellowFlower. (Originally planned on naming it something a bit more relevant, but according to Google all the good names were taken!)

It will read the (image or video) files directly from your digital camera, and copy/move them to a folder on your hard drive. Subfolders are created for the year and month, and the files are named in order of either modified date or date picture taken (from EXIF data), depending on the options selected. An example filename (and folder structure) is as follows:

\2010\04_2010\20100408_001.jpg

Other options include:

* only copying files between a specified date range
* setting files as read-only after copying
* opening folders on the hard drive after copying

It's written in C# (.NET 2.0), it's only 64KB in size, and it's totally free (yes "free as in beer").

Download it here: http://www.kazfernandes.com/temp/PrettyYellowFlower.zip

I've been using it for years and had no problems; it's saved me a lot of time. It's also allowed me to get away without installing any of the (generally bloated) camera software that most manufacturers package with their products these days. But please be aware that the program comes with no warranty of any kind.

Enjoy!

October 14, 2010 7:16:31 AM

This topic has been closed by Buwish
!