Sign in with
Your question

Is the an app to measure power?

Last response: in Components
June 9, 2011 6:31:08 AM

hi,

in my previouse thread http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/306599-28-what-600w-p...
i've asked about the relationship between the DC power and AC power. Im curiouse is there a way to measure the current power consumption by the main board? Is there an app to measure it?

MY PC is HP COMPAQ D530 SFF P4 2.8GHZ

thanks

More about : app measure power

a b ) Power supply
June 9, 2011 10:14:33 AM

I dont think there is. Although there is a software provided by APC called APC Power Chute which is somewhat down the lines of what you are looking for.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 9, 2011 10:35:51 AM

YOu really need a multimeter an external 3rd party hardware to measure all power consumed during the time of pc use.
m
l
Related resources
a c 288 ) Power supply
June 9, 2011 1:22:58 PM

It seems like that would be a simple thing to do, but its unfortunately really hard to do. You need to monitor the current in each of the hot wires going to the motherboard, as well as the voltage on each line to get an accurate reading, there unfortunately isnt a way to just sum up the 12V current going to the board once it gets to the board as it splits off and goes multiple directions then, so you would need to monitor it on the power supply cables, so its not possible for a software application to do this for you, it can tell you the current power your CPU is consuming, but not the motherboard.

If you want the full system power consumption get a kill-a-watt meter, that will give your AC draw, multiply it by about .85 to figure out your DC power.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
June 9, 2011 1:29:24 PM

hunter315 said:
If you want the full system power consumption get a kill-a-watt meter, that will give your AC draw, multiply it by about .85 to figure out your DC power.

In an HP system that old, probably more like .70 - .75
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 9, 2011 1:33:37 PM

Could use a Kill-A-Watt at the wall to measure a system's total power draw, which can be had for as little as $20.
m
l
June 9, 2011 2:17:30 PM

okay guys, i got a built in psu that gives a max output of 120W. Then i've burned it and pluged in a 350W power supply that i had on a AMD machine. SO i beleive the current system doesnt pull more that it needs, so my guess it the DC max pull is 120ws
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
June 9, 2011 2:29:01 PM

^ That's not power draw, it gives a reccomended psu wattage based on the TDP of the components entered and some added overhead ( ~30% ).
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 9, 2011 3:38:43 PM

^ True, but if you leave selections blank and only fill them in one at a time (and blank the previous one), you can get numerical estimates for each and every single component.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
June 10, 2011 12:16:50 PM

RazberyBandit said:
^ True, but if you leave selections blank and only fill them in one at a time (and blank the previous one), you can get numerical estimates for each and every single component.

It's still not power consumption ( jsc would call it SWAG [ scientific wild assed guess ] )
Slight changes will give different results

My cpu ( I7-930, 130 watt TDP )
They start off with a minimum of 34w so thats the base we'll use

Using thier V and subtracting the min. wattage 109w
Using my OC voltage (1.2v ) drops that to 79w ( Wow , -.17v equates to -30 watts )
Now add my overclock ( 3.8 )and it jumps to 112w
Now use thier V and my OC, we get 144w

Change the MB field to high end ( this raises the min. to 55w )

Stock CPU and thier V , 106w ( 3 watts less due to a high end board )
Use my OCV, 97w ( 18 watts more due to a highend board, and only -9 watts due to the -.17v ? )
Add my OC , 129w ( 17 watts more due to a highend board )
Now use thier V and my OC, we get 144w, ( What ? No difference due to the high end board ? )

The psu calc. works good as a guide for choosing a psu with enough wattage to run the components you input, not for single component power consumption.

m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
June 27, 2011 3:10:22 PM

"Modeling — Joulemeter provides a software tool to estimate the energy usage of a virtual machine (VM), a computer, server, or software application."

I base my power estimates of a system mostly on measurements I did on my first Core2 system - 680i motherboard, Q6600 and the atomicmpc site for graphics cards:
http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=264

I use the TDP as a base for CPU power.

I borrowed a clamp on ammeter probe from work and measured all the power inputs to the motherboard, RAM, CPU, and video card. Then I checked the system with my Kill-A-Watt meter.

My estimates of power consumption tend to be about 10% high compared to the Kill-A-Watt. I regard that as a pretty good SWAG. And it is a lot quicker than futzing around with a PSU calculator.

m
l
!