Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 4, 2011 9:33:46 PM

Hello Im barely pushing 30 fps in Crysis :(  here are my specs

Intel Qaud Core Q8300 2.50 GHZ

2 X Evga Superclocked 1gb GTX 460 in SLI

4gb of Ram

Asus P5N-D 750i Sli Motherboard

Im playing on a 23 inch at 1920x1080
Can someone tell what the problem is am I bottlenecking or is do I need fix sli settings?

More about : crysis sli poor fps

a c 125 U Graphics card
January 4, 2011 9:49:12 PM

30 fps in gameplay or in the benchmark test?

You should probably be seeing more like 45-50fps average in the benchmark at 1080p, Very High, 4xAA.

I would say most likely your CPU is too slow and could benefit greatly from an overclock.
January 4, 2011 9:53:37 PM

wolfram23 said:
30 fps in gameplay or in the benchmark test?

You should probably be seeing more like 45-50fps average in the benchmark at 1080p, Very High, 4xAA.

I would say most likely your CPU is too slow and could benefit greatly from an overclock.

Thx for replying so fast rock on toms hardware

I'm seeing an average of 31.13 fps in benchmark

and only like 28 fps in game what software should I overclock with and how far I'm only 14 and just built my first rig :D  :D 
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2011 9:53:42 PM

Seconded, 2.5GHz C2Q is probably going to be a bottleneck given 2 GTX 460s in SLI.
a c 125 U Graphics card
January 4, 2011 9:59:06 PM

You're going to need a CPU cooler first, the best bang for your buck is probably a Hyper 212 Plus as it's only like $30 and has decent performance, but there is a lot of options out there.

You should read some guides, for you set up there's actually quite a few guides. OCing should be done in the BIOS rather than with some program. So just read up on what to do, it's really not that hard. It can be a bit time consuming to get it perfect, but no biggie. You just need to test when you make changes and monitor temps.

So IMO start by reading guides and if you're still lost, come back here and make a post in the Overclocking topic asking whatever you need to know.
January 4, 2011 10:01:39 PM

wolfram23 said:
You're going to need a CPU cooler first, the best bang for your buck is probably a Hyper 212 Plus as it's only like $30 and has decent performance, but there is a lot of options out there.

You should read some guides, for you set up there's actually quite a few guides. OCing should be done in the BIOS rather than with some program. So just read up on what to do, it's really not that hard. It can be a bit time consuming to get it perfect, but no biggie. You just need to test when you make changes and monitor temps.

So IMO start by reading guides and if you're still lost, come back here and make a post in the Overclocking topic asking whatever you need to know.

1 more thing I'm not using that crappy cheap cooler that came with my processor I'm using a very nice ULTRA cooler will I be fine?
a c 125 U Graphics card
January 5, 2011 3:10:04 PM

Never heard of that cooler but the only thing to do then is try it out and keep an eye on temps.
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2011 3:24:19 PM

either mive the make/model of your cpu cooler or at leas tpost a pic host on image shack we can try to figure out if the cpu coolere you have will work. (make/model of cpu cooler is best though )
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 5, 2011 3:54:56 PM

Before you start messing about with overclcks lets cover th most basic thing which is do you have the game patched up to date or do you have it running as was when it came out of the box ? Crysis didnt exactly set the world on fire with its multi GPU support when it was first released.

Mactronix :) 
a c 172 U Graphics card
January 5, 2011 4:40:18 PM

It is not the raw performance of the cpu but the poor bandwidth between the cpu and the rest of the system. You have no choice but to overclock to gain more bandwidth on top of extra fpu performance (floating point unit). This cpu like all 775 quads isn't a true quad. A true quad has only a single die with all 4 cores sharing the same bandwidth with a dedicated link between them for cache and i/o functions. The 775 quads are a MCM (multi chip module) with two core to each die sharing the substrate. The cache and i/o function between both dies has to be done through the system fsb taking up bandwidth and watering down whole system performance. The best that you can do is to overclock the fsb and tighten the timings to gain more bandwidth. The fpu performance or raw computing power of the cpu as a whole isn't the problem. Performance per core is low in apps that can only use one or two cores thus limiting your performance. It is this reason why the first Phenom had failed due to their low performance per core despite having a huge edge over the 775 platform.

In short either nuke what you have or upgrade to something faster like AM3 or a 1156/1356 system that can provide adequate bandwidth to the cpu and not bottleneck your cards.
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 6, 2011 12:16:55 AM

i totally disagree with that. if the system barely reaches 30fps he has a gfx card/settings problem. even 1 gtx460 should make 30fps without aa turned on. by the way this guy has another thread going about the same thing where he has overclocked to 3.6ghz and its not getting more fps.
January 6, 2011 12:49:55 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
i totally disagree with that. if the system barely reaches 30fps he has a gfx card/settings problem. even 1 gtx460 should make 30fps without aa turned on. by the way this guy has another thread going about the same thing where he has overclocked to 3.6ghz and its not getting more fps.

Yeah I started a new thread talking about it I oc to 3.06 ghz then ran the benchmark I updated the to 1.2 and am still getting low fps I think its just crysis bad company 2 I am getting 55+ fps with max everything and Crysis Warhead I am getting around 45 fps crysis is just being a jerk :non:  But I'm happy with my system I don't many people that have built their own computers espically at my age so it was very fun and if crysis WANTS to be a jerk so be it
!