Sign in with
Your question

Need help, going insane lol

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
June 9, 2011 5:08:00 PM

Hi everyone
I assembled a new PC after I decided I needed a new one as my old pc really sucks with the latest games.
This is the build I have
Intel i5 2500k
MSI P67A GD55
Corsair XMS3 1600 Mhz DDR3 (2 X 4GB)
Corsair 750TX PSU
MSI N560GTX TI 1GB
Seagate 500GB HDD
SONY DVD W

I connected all of this and then when I turn on the power, what happens is that my CPU fans starts up, the Mobo LED lights up, the graphics card LED lights up as well for 3 - 4 secs and then switches off and then the whole thing happens all over again. Switch on and Switch off.

Im pretty sure my 750TX has enough wattage for all the components I have, what I think mite be the problem is that the CPU heatsink may not have been assembled 100% right. Which mite cause the CPU to overheat and then auto shutoff?

But Im Cold starting the whole PC and can the CPU get that dangerously hot in 3 secs for it to be shut down??

Any feedback would be really helpful cause im going nuts looking at all the shiny parts and not being able to turn it on T.T

More about : insane lol

June 9, 2011 5:15:49 PM

I'd go over every single connection and make sure it's all properly connected. Especially RAM, the CPU, all power connectors. It's also possible that you got a dead motherboard or PSU though, unfortunately.

Also, when you put down the motherboard there's supposed to be little paper or plastic rings between the mobo and the screws (on the top side) and without them there's a small chance of electric shorting.

m
l
Anonymous
June 9, 2011 5:32:38 PM

wolfram23 said:
I'd go over every single connection and make sure it's all properly connected. Especially RAM, the CPU, all power connectors. It's also possible that you got a dead motherboard or PSU though, unfortunately.

Also, when you put down the motherboard there's supposed to be little paper or plastic rings between the mobo and the screws (on the top side) and without them there's a small chance of electric shorting.

I am pretty sure I got the RAM in right. I put the motherboard on top of the box it came in, made sure there were no metal anywhere near it. Wanted to install the OS and once everything was done then move it to the cabinet. cause I didnt want to move everything into the cabinet just to see it fail and then painstakingly remove it. Guess I did good on that part.

I've tried everything I know to fix it but I cant figure out what component is causing the motherboard to fail, however since everything is brand new I am hoping that its either a

1.) CPU Heatsink installation problem
2.) PSU problem

I guess I'll call a technician and hope he can figure out whats wrong.
I just hope its something loose, and nothing serious like a dead motherboard/CPU.
I've spend weeks dreaming about setting this up right, and now I feel like I got hit by a Bullet train

Thanks for your response Wolf
m
l
Related resources
June 9, 2011 6:53:33 PM

The CPU can definitely get hot enough to shut down in just a couple of seconds. If it still starts before shutting down, probably nothing's damaged.
Basic heatsink application, obviously varying with model:
-Seat processor
-Place a small amount of thermal paste on the processor: some go with a dot in the middle, some with two thin lines, some with both. Basically, the paste should cover the top of the processor *after* pressure is applied, in a very thin layer.
-Place the heatsink on the processor according to its instructions and apply pressure in its proprietary way.
-Plug in the heatsink's fan to the CPUFAN header on the motherboard.

Stock heatsink?
m
l
June 9, 2011 7:22:24 PM

Quote:
I am pretty sure I got the RAM in right. I put the motherboard on top of the box it came in, made sure there were no metal anywhere near it. Wanted to install the OS and once everything was done then move it to the cabinet. cause I didnt want to move everything into the cabinet just to see it fail and then painstakingly remove it. Guess I did good on that part.

I've tried everything I know to fix it but I cant figure out what component is causing the motherboard to fail, however since everything is brand new I am hoping that its either a

1.) CPU Heatsink installation problem
2.) PSU problem

I guess I'll call a technician and hope he can figure out whats wrong.
I just hope its something loose, and nothing serious like a dead motherboard/CPU.
I've spend weeks dreaming about setting this up right, and now I feel like I got hit by a Bullet train

Thanks for your response Wolf

If I understand you right, you had it booted up and working before installing in the case? Or this issue is happening before that...?

Anyway it's easy enough to redo the heatsink. I'd first check that the push pins are all properly pushed through the motherboard and snapped in there. If they are, then I guess try removing it, cleaning (with alcohol), applying new TIM (MX3, Arctic Silver 5, etc), and reseating. If you have a voltmeter you can check the PSU's voltages.

Otherwise if that fails do a breadboard set up. I wish I had the right link to the how-to but basically you remove everything you can and add pieces 1 at a time. Also have you checked your motherboard for "recommended" or supported RAM? It's usually not an issue but occasionally you might wind up with RAM that isn't compatible.

Besides that it does seem like it could be a dead motherboard. I had the same type of issue occure after I blew my first mobo (MSI P55GD65) with overclocking. IMO, stay away from MSI mobos. Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte are good ones.
m
l
Anonymous
June 9, 2011 9:16:09 PM

kajabla said:
The CPU can definitely get hot enough to shut down in just a couple of seconds. If it still starts before shutting down, probably nothing's damaged.
Basic heatsink application, obviously varying with model:
-Seat processor
-Place a small amount of thermal paste on the processor: some go with a dot in the middle, some with two thin lines, some with both. Basically, the paste should cover the top of the processor *after* pressure is applied, in a very thin layer.
-Place the heatsink on the processor according to its instructions and apply pressure in its proprietary way.
-Plug in the heatsink's fan to the CPUFAN header on the motherboard.

Stock heatsink?

Ya I applied the thermal paste to the heatsink.
and ya its a stock heatsink
m
l
Anonymous
June 9, 2011 9:23:55 PM

wolfram23 said:
If I understand you right, you had it booted up and working before installing in the case? Or this issue is happening before that...?

Anyway it's easy enough to redo the heatsink. I'd first check that the push pins are all properly pushed through the motherboard and snapped in there. If they are, then I guess try removing it, cleaning (with alcohol), applying new TIM (MX3, Arctic Silver 5, etc), and reseating. If you have a voltmeter you can check the PSU's voltages.

Otherwise if that fails do a breadboard set up. I wish I had the right link to the how-to but basically you remove everything you can and add pieces 1 at a time. Also have you checked your motherboard for "recommended" or supported RAM? It's usually not an issue but occasionally you might wind up with RAM that isn't compatible.

Besides that it does seem like it could be a dead motherboard. I had the same type of issue occure after I blew my first mobo (MSI P55GD65) with overclocking. IMO, stay away from MSI mobos. Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte are good ones.

Wolfram, what I meant was that I wanted to check out if the system worked before I installed it in the cabinet.
In this case it didnt even pass the booting stage.
Well I would rather not do the reseating and heat sink assembly again cause I am not that comfortable with that part.
At this point of time from all your inputs I guess its the heatsink, cpu or motherboard thats causing the problem.

Well I will let you guys know what the problem is as soon as I find it.
Thanks for all the help!!
m
l
June 9, 2011 9:53:20 PM

make sure you have the ram in the rite slots.
m
l
June 17, 2011 12:10:03 PM

Hi guys,
I was trying to get it to work again a while back and in the process of doing so I ended up dropping the mainboard a slight bit >.<
and then when I connected it back to everything else it started working....
So ya I'm happy its working but I'm scared it can go boom anytime lol.
Im guessing the drop ended up tightening up something that was loose somewhere lol.

thanks for all the help though guys ^.^, I cant believe how fast the i5 is compared to my E5300 xD
Its like Im steamrolling thru stuff heh, and the 560 GTX is so amazing comparing to my old 9800GT :/ 

Imma have some fun now, thanks for the help again!!!
m
l
!