Boot disk failure, insert system disk and press enter

Bugman58

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I have the same problem as many others. I began to reinstall the xp operating system. During the middle of the install, my power supply blew out. After replacing it, I started all over. I finally got "OS" installed and all of the updates installed. My problem is that the computer will not boot without the windows disk in the cd drive. It also takes a long time to boot. I checked the setup CMOS and BIOS. It is set for the hard disk to boot 1st, the cd 2nd and floppy last.
Also, I cannot remove the cd after booting to load anything, because the system automatically ejects any cd that is not the system disk. I had the system built several years ago at a local, and reputable, computer shop. It has work fine till now. My system info is as follows:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition V5.1.2600 SP3 Build
System Mfr.: MicroStar International LTD
System Model: MS-7181
System Type: X86
Processor: AMD~1607mhz
Bios: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00pg, 1/20/06
SM Bios Ver 2.3
1 Hard disk
1 CD ROM
1 Floppy

Does anyone know what the problem is? Could the BIOS be bad or need updating. I would appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Bugman

Bad power supplies cause much grief. Please see the PSU guide linked in my sig when you get a chance.

It's hard to say with any certainty but my first guess would be a corrupted boot sector on your hard drive. Boot from your XP disk and do a full format of the drive... I forget what options you get in XP right off, but if there is a fast and slow format, select the slow one.

Next up I would suspect the power spike damaged your SATA controller somehow, on the motherboard.

Bugman58

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Thanks for the response Proximon. When I installed xp again, I loaded it with a quick format. Hopefully the slower format will correct the problem. I'll check it out. Thanks again.

Bubman58