Boot disk failure, insert system disk and press enter

I have the same problem as many others. I began to reinstall the xp operating system. During the middle of the install, my power supply blew out. After replacing it, I started all over. I finally got "OS" installed and all of the updates installed. My problem is that the computer will not boot without the windows disk in the cd drive. It also takes a long time to boot. I checked the setup CMOS and BIOS. It is set for the hard disk to boot 1st, the cd 2nd and floppy last.
Also, I cannot remove the cd after booting to load anything, because the system automatically ejects any cd that is not the system disk. I had the system built several years ago at a local, and reputable, computer shop. It has work fine till now. My system info is as follows:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition V5.1.2600 SP3 Build
System Mfr.: MicroStar International LTD
System Model: MS-7181
System Type: X86
Processor: AMD~1607mhz
Bios: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00pg, 1/20/06
SM Bios Ver 2.3
1 Hard disk
1 CD ROM
1 Floppy

Does anyone know what the problem is? Could the BIOS be bad or need updating. I would appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Bugman
2 answers Last reply
More about boot disk failure insert system disk press enter
  1. Bad power supplies cause much grief. Please see the PSU guide linked in my sig when you get a chance.

It's hard to say with any certainty but my first guess would be a corrupted boot sector on your hard drive. Boot from your XP disk and do a full format of the drive... I forget what options you get in XP right off, but if there is a fast and slow format, select the slow one.

Next up I would suspect the power spike damaged your SATA controller somehow, on the motherboard.
  2. Proximon said:
    Bad power supplies cause much grief. Please see the PSU guide linked in my sig when you get a chance.

It's hard to say with any certainty but my first guess would be a corrupted boot sector on your hard drive. Boot from your XP disk and do a full format of the drive... I forget what options you get in XP right off, but if there is a fast and slow format, select the slow one.

Next up I would suspect the power spike damaged your SATA controller somehow, on the motherboard.

Thanks for the response Proximon. When I installed xp again, I loaded it with a quick format. Hopefully the slower format will correct the problem. I'll check it out. Thanks again.

Bubman58
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Boot CD-Rom Systems