Major overheating GTS 240

mrsmith93

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
I have this computer for a year now and its been working perfectly fine until recently my graphics card has been overheating to the point of making my computer shut itself off. the temp of it while playing a game is around 80-90 Celsius and sometimes gets higher. i have done everything from cleaning the whole inside with compressed air very well, downgraded and then upgraded the cards drivers, reapplying thermal paste to the card, and nothing has worked so far. someone please help me i dont know what is it could be or what to do, it shouldnt be dying out on me this fast should it?

mrsmith93

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
ok just checked all fans are spinning and the gpu fan is set a 100% and the problem still persists even just idleing i get around 60-70 celcius which is to high i think

deadandy

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
Those operating temperatures are normal for these cards, especially if you are running SLI. There isn't much data available because they are OEM cards used in Dell systems, etc. I have two of them in my Alienware Aurora ALX and they run 80-90C under full load.

maybe you should look at the ambient temp in your case. If you dont have any exhaust fans, get at least one. Also, you say you have reapplied thermal paste? when you do this make sure you clean off all the old paste and get a quality thermal paste. AS5 is good and doesn't cost much.