Solved

New heatsink and CPU question

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Heatsinks
  • Thermal Compound
Last response: in CPUs
June 9, 2011 9:10:10 PM

I just bought a new AMD sempron cpu and it came with a heatsink that had preapplied thermal paste. I installed both in the motherboard that I also bought though I haven't run it yet cuz I'm still waiting for the ram. My concern is I removed the heatsink to check on the cpu and placed it back right away. I read that this unevens the paste and will cause overheating problems. SOo will I have to apply new thermal paste?=/

I plan to unlocks its other core but I don't think I'll be overclocking it.

More about : heatsink cpu question

a b à CPUs
June 9, 2011 9:26:38 PM

Why would you remove the heatsink to look at the cpu? Did you forget what it looked like?

Yes, you will have to clean all the paste off with 91% isopropyl alcohol and re-apply new thermal paste following the directions that come with it. That is if you want to do it the proper way.

m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
June 9, 2011 9:50:22 PM

catly1 said:
I just bought a new AMD sempron cpu and it came with a heatsink that had preapplied thermal paste. I installed both in the motherboard that I also bought though I haven't run it yet cuz I'm still waiting for the ram. My concern is I removed the heatsink to check on the cpu and placed it back right away. I read that this unevens the paste and will cause overheating problems. SOo will I have to apply new thermal paste?=/

I plan to unlocks its other core but I don't think I'll be overclocking it.

You might have to put on new thermal grease, but you might not. The stuff the OEMs put on the bottom of their heatsinks is a thin pad-like material that isn't sticky or gooey like consumer thermal pastes. If you powered on the CPU and the paste got warm, you would absolutely need to replace it. But, if the paste looks more or less intact and there aren't holes or dimples in the paste from your CPU squishing into it, you might be okay. It really all depends on how much force the heatsink was clamped on with. My guess is if you fully clamped down the heatsink and latched it, you probably will need to replace the thermal grease.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 9, 2011 11:39:06 PM

The past that came on my i3-2100 WAS sticky and gooey.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 10, 2011 2:39:55 AM

But not sticky and gooey like the commercial pads.
m
l
June 10, 2011 2:50:19 AM

I removed the heatsink because I vaguely remember seeing a small black particle in the paste but when I saw the paste all ruffled and sticky I freaked and clamped the heatsink down again.

Well I did decide to just clean it up and use the AS5 tube that's been lying around my desk. It's been 4 months since I last used it does it expire? and when I wiped off the the paste from the heatsink with an alcohol swab the area got darker should I be concerned?
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
June 10, 2011 1:22:19 PM

It's darker because some of the paste penetrated the surface of the metal.

Nothing to be concerned about.
a c 105 à CPUs
June 10, 2011 1:41:44 PM

catly1 said:
I removed the heatsink because I vaguely remember seeing a small black particle in the paste but when I saw the paste all ruffled and sticky I freaked and clamped the heatsink down again.

Well I did decide to just clean it up and use the AS5 tube that's been lying around my desk. It's been 4 months since I last used it does it expire? and when I wiped off the the paste from the heatsink with an alcohol swab the area got darker should I be concerned?

Thermal grease keeps for a pretty long time, so you should be fine to use that AS5.
m
l
June 20, 2011 4:50:24 AM

Forgot about this thread. Well it runs cool and quiet so thanks guys. Would be cool if I could choose more than one best answer so I'll just pick one in random:) 
m
l
June 20, 2011 4:50:37 AM

Best answer selected by catly1.
m
l
!