Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card Opinions and Advice.

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 5, 2011 2:18:35 AM

I am planning on getting a dual configuration of one of these types and I have narrowed it down to based on what is available to me

1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

2GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon HD 5970

Now, I realize the answer to this question is subjective. It all depends upon what one is going to DO with the computer.

This is not so much for gaming as it is for working with video editing, photoshop, after effects etc. At least that is what I will mostly be doing. I will not be doing a lot of 3D modeling, but I would not rule it maybe at some point.

I guess my question is would Dual ATI 5970 vastly out perform the NVIDIA 460s? I am not certain of the power consumption of the 460s either. I have heard NVIDIA generally gets tagged with using more power and they run hotter, but I am not certain how much truth there is to this across the board.

I mean with the 4gbof using dual 5970, would that not make for much faster renders and using effects or is the card more for gaming and physics?

Any input would be appreciated.

If anyone has any feedback for me on this, then I would appreciate it as I am just not certain which ones to go with.

More about : graphics card opinions advice

a c 1430 U Graphics card
January 5, 2011 2:34:48 AM

a single HD5970 would be similar or better than a dual GTX460. Both setups are basically for gaming and a total overkill for what you are going to be doing.
January 5, 2011 2:38:10 AM

Yeah, I imagine some might be overkill. I guess my question is if two HD5970 would be too much overkill. I have everything else right for editing and the only other thing I could do would be to set up a RAID0, but I really do not want to do that for what I do.

Related resources
a c 1430 U Graphics card
January 5, 2011 2:40:50 AM

I think that all you need is a single GTX460 Nvidia cards work better with Photoshop and the 460 is a very good card, not at all power hungry.
January 5, 2011 2:49:09 AM

rolli59 said:
I think that all you need is a single GTX460 Nvidia cards work better with Photoshop and the 460 is a very good card, not at all power hungry.

Thanks for the advice. I usually use Nvida cards. No real reason, just because. I am maxed out on RAM and I have gotten some lag using HD footage, but that is to be expected when you edit with HD I suppose. The 5970 just seem like monsters, but I know they have two power inputs (6 and 8 pin I think)

I am not certain of the 460.

It is hard to rate performance of things like this and it is hard to say which would do better. I mean aside from overkill and $ I would be spending, technically the 5970s would do better overall right?
a c 1430 U Graphics card
January 5, 2011 2:51:36 AM

Yes I believe it will but then again certain programs favor Nvidia and photoshop is one of those.
January 5, 2011 2:52:29 AM

rolli59 said:
Yes I believe it will but then again certain programs favor Nvidia and photoshop is one of those.

Good to know. That I didn't look into as of yet. So, by that information, then do all of Adobe's programs favor Nvidia? I'm going to see what I can find.

Thanks!!
!