Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Adding lights/UV to a new case.

Last response: in Components
June 9, 2011 9:29:07 PM

Case: Silverstone Raven RV03b-w (black w/ window)
UV reactive parts:
HIS H577QT1GD - HD5770 w/ IceQ 5 design -- mounts vertically because the motherboard is rotated 90 degrees towards the front.
Parts w/ lights:
Antec TruePower-New 750-Blue -- very subtle blue glow from PSU fan, but it will be bottom mounted near the front of the case.
Zalman CNPS 9900A LED -- blue LED lit center fan w/ copper heatsink fins

Nothing else is lit up or reacts to UV (yet). I was thinking about adding the Logisys dual 12" UV cold cathode kit.

Thank you for the input.

==========(Photos added 06/14/2011)==========
Case open, room lights on

Case closed, room lights off

More about : adding lights case

June 11, 2011 7:19:49 AM

Does anyone know how an LED fan would affect the UV lighting?
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
June 11, 2011 9:06:07 AM

The current draw is minimal so no issue there,
its basically down to taste of where you want the lights to shine
Moto
m
l
Related resources
June 11, 2011 9:43:18 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
The current draw is minimal so no issue there,
its basically down to taste of where you want the lights to shine
Moto

I wanted to add UV b/c the video card is UV reactive and I heard it looks awsome. I also have 2 spare Antec Tri-Cool blues, but I do not know how it will affect the UV on the video card.
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
June 11, 2011 10:32:01 AM

Ah, I misunderstood lol,
it may brighten up the case a little, but as its not uv light it wont make them glow I'd have thought
Moto
m
l
June 12, 2011 2:13:51 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Ah, I misunderstood lol,
it may brighten up the case a little, but as its not uv light it wont make them glow I'd have thought
Moto

My main concern with adding my spare fans is drowning out the UV lighting. On my old case, they got pretty bright. The LED glow from the PSU and CPU cooler are fairly soft so they should not negatively affect UV lighting.
m
l

Best solution

a c 104 ) Power supply
June 12, 2011 7:27:05 AM

You could snip the led wires or if you want the leds lit,
you can solder a resistor onto the led power wires, not the main power as that would slow the fan itself
Moto
June 13, 2011 5:21:20 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
You could snip the led wires or if you want the leds lit,
you can solder a resistor onto the led power wires, not the main power as that would slow the fan itself
Moto

Thanks for the input. Guess I'll just have to use trial and error. I'll post pictures when I have a chance.
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
June 13, 2011 7:33:06 PM

Cool, look forward to them :) 
Moto
m
l
June 14, 2011 9:40:01 PM

ChromeTusk said:
My main concern with adding my spare fans is drowning out the UV lighting. On my old case, they got pretty bright. The LED glow from the PSU and CPU cooler are fairly soft so they should not negatively affect UV lighting.

I added photos of the current build to the OP.
Inside the old case with the room lights off
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
June 15, 2011 12:02:36 AM

The best pic there imo is the last one, of the old case :-)
Moto
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
June 15, 2011 6:41:55 AM

Nice :) 
I'm not one for U.v. personally but that 5770 looks great
I only have subtle lighting in my current rig, a triple lightbar I built myself, one led fan on the cpu (Whitelight on orange blades) and one 120mm blue led fan at the front, the Psycho Rider build will only have 2 cold cathodes inside, and two T-virus cathode reservoirs http://www.frozenqpcmods.com/lf.php but the cathodes not the focus of those, its the tubes themselves for my purposes, they'll work, but I'm dimming them off the fancontroller (if I can make that work :p )
Nice looking build though you have
Moto
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 28, 2011 6:10:02 AM

Do yourself a favour and buy UV reactive blue SATA cables. They look extremely sick when coupled with UV lighting, it's something to witness! They are quite cheap as well, no more than $5 for a cable.
m
l
June 29, 2011 5:33:27 AM

Toxxyc said:
Do yourself a favour and buy UV reactive blue SATA cables. They look extremely sick when coupled with UV lighting, it's something to witness! They are quite cheap as well, no more than $5 for a cable.

Due to a stripped screw connected to one of the 3.5" adapters, I had to mount the BR drive at the top 5.25" bay. The original cable barely streched to fit :fou:  , so I bought a replacement. If you look closely at this picture, , you should see a long blue UV cable snaking from the lower left to the drive in the upper right. I love the way they react :sol:  and I might get some sleeves for the cables that are too short to hide (like the USB/card reader cables below the video card).
m
l
July 12, 2011 8:38:21 AM

Best answer selected by ChromeTusk.
m
l
!