Computer restarts multiple times before booting up

swift9

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
I just recently installed a new EVGA NVIDIA GTX 460 SE and I put my old GTS 250 into the second slot for PhysX. Every time I start my computer, it restarts about 4-6 times before I have to press F2 to load the BIOS defaults....every time. I have the necessary power for both of the cards as I have a 1000W PSU. I don't know what I need to do to stop it.

Weird thing is, if I plug the DVI connector into the GTS 250, I can see the screen while it boots up, but if it's plugged into my main GPU, it doesn't show anything until the windows splash screen comes up.

Any suggestions?

swift9

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Just to add, if I take out either card, the system boots right up with no problems. It's almost like the computer doesn't like having 2 cards plugged in

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Maybe it just doesn't? Computers can be like that sometimes. Try swapping out the cards to different slots if that's possible. How far into the load does your computer go before it restarts? Does it start loading windows at all?

swift9

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

I tried that, and it does the same thing. The computer shows the BIOS splash screen and then restarts over and over again until a screen shows up that lets me enter the main BIOS screen or load defaults. And loading defaults is the only way to get it to work. And after I load the defaults, the computer boots up but my monitor says no input until the login screen shows up.

if you have to load defaults to get it working it sounds like your BIOS is not holding settings. Maybe BIOS battery needs to be replaced. Also update your motherboard BIOS to the latest one from the manufacturers website. As to the issue of it using the gts250 for primary display, you can set it in BIOS so that the other PCIe slot is the primary display. Otherwise just swap the cards around.