Upgrade PSU and Graphics Card

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Graphics Cards
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
June 9, 2011 9:35:12 PM

Ok, all I need is a little help but for some reason, a moderator closed my post saying:
Mousemonkey said:
Don't...
Bump posts
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/283384-33-read-first

How rude ...Im sorry but I dont know what bumping is and I dont see why he couldnt help me with my question. Im a noob, sorry for doing anything wrong but I have no idea what a "bump" is and I just need some help. It took me a long time to write up my thread and research everything and provided you with thorough details. Anyways, heres my original post if someone could please help me!

Ok guys, I had a motherboard fail back in November so I purchased a brand new pc bc the old one was unfortunately part of the cap plague made in 2006. The first problem I have is, the new pc is only a 300watt psu. Ive just realized that the card I bought with it (ATI HD 5450 1gb) requires minimum of 400watts. Why in the world would they give me that option for a card if the psu was underpowered for it?!

Either way, I had bought a OCZ 600W Stealth Xtream Power Supply back in Jan2010 and used it for a few months before the moboard died (pretty sure that helped it run its course on the old pc) but I still have it in perfect condition and pretty much new. I also had the Nvidia 9500GT card 1gb and have been reading the comparisons between the two cards and I think the 9500GT would be better than the 5450..am I correct?

If so, I would like to upgrade my new psu to put the 600watt in it and also put the 9500gt in it. I just want to make sure they are both compatible and will not overwork or throttle anything. I did all the research for what I need to know, I just want to make sure its the right choice for my new computer..below is all the info you need :) 

Here are my computer specs-its the HP Elite HPE-400z customizable Desktop PC
Type Elite multimedia, value PC
Usage Home
Chassis uATX
Memory card reader 15-in-1 media card reader
Processors AMD
Total memory slots 4 DIMM
Ports 6 USB (2 front, 4 back), 1 IEEE 1394 (back)
Audio Front headphone, mic (7.1 speaker capable)
Total slots 1 PCIe (x16 graphics), 3 PCIe (x1), 1 MiniCard
Energy Star Qualified No
Power supply 300 watts
Storage bay HP Pocket Media Drive Bay
Dimensions 16.85"(L) x 7.05"(W) x 15.79"(H)
Modem Optional
Network interface Integrated 10/100/1000Mbps (Ethernet)
Software kit HP Pavilion bundle with MediaSmart Software Suite
DVD/CD burner software Cyberlink DVD Suite Deluxe
Tools Desktop icon for built-in desktop Help and Support Center
Warranty 1-year limited hardware
Support 1-year limited software, 1-year limited hardware support

Here are the 600watt psu specs:
Case Material
Aluminum
Case Color
Black
ATX Compliance
ATX 12V v2.2; EPS 12V v2.91
Power Provided
600 Watts
Drive/Power Connectors
(5) Molex 4-pin Connectors; (1) Floppy 4-pin Connector; (3) Serial ATA Connectors
Motherboard Power Connectors
(1) ATX 20+4-pin Motherboard Connector; (1) +12V 4-pin/8-pin Motherboard Connector
PCI-Express Power Connectors
(1) PCI Express 6-pin Power Connector; (1) PCI Express 6+2-pin Power Connector
Power Supply Cooling Fans
120mm Fan
PFC
Active Power Factor Correction
Input Voltage
AC 100V/240V
Input Frequency Range
50Hz/60Hz
Efficiency
80% @ 115 V (Typical Load); 83% @ 230 V (Typical Load)
Load Range
+3.3V@36A; +5V@30A; +12V1@18A; +12V2@18A; +12V3@18A; +12V4@18A
Protection
Overvoltage, Overcurrent, Short-Circuit protection
Dimensions (WxDxH)
5.9" x 5.5" x 3.4" (150mm x 140mm x 86mm)
Manufacturer Warranty
3 Year Limited Warranty

Here is the 9500 specs
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9500gt_us....

The rating is a 353: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=...

Here is the 5450 specs
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-rad...

The rating is a 306: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=...

Please tell me what you would do. Yes I do alot of gaming on my pc and I dont want to spend any money and being able to use the money I spent before would be a plus. Any help is appreciated!!

More about : upgrade psu graphics card

a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2011 9:44:31 PM

there both pants cards for gaming and wont meet minimum spec for todays games.
you have a 600watt psu then use it. get a decent card like a minimum of nvidia gts250, ati 4850 or hd 5750...
you dont say what kind of cpu you have other than its an amd so im guessing its a dual core of 2.4 ghz or better. if so then you will have a reasonable entry level gaming pc. if you do go this rout make sure you upgrade your fans to offset any excess heat from the new gpu and enable it to stay cool. antec tricool are reasonable cae fans that have a high vfm as well as being reasonably priced and quiet.

update***
i have just checked and you have a phenom 2 x4 945 cpu. so you can splurge and get any gfx card you choose within reason. somthing like a gtx 460 would go very nicley with that setup.
and as the cpu is no slouch i wouldn't insult it by putting in either of the junk cards you have listed.
m
l
June 9, 2011 9:49:59 PM

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-400z customizable Desktop PC
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• AMD Phenom(TM) X4 945 quad-core processor [3.0GHz, 2MB L2 + 6MB L3 shared, up to 4000MHz]
• 6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs]
• 750GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
• 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5450 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]
m
l
Related resources
June 9, 2011 9:50:23 PM

and I only play sims 3
and I dont have any money atm to buy a new card. I just want to know which was better and if its worth adding in the 9500gt or to just upgrade the psu and see how the game runs. I was having issues with it stalling/quivering/whatever you want to call it..
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
June 10, 2011 12:43:15 AM

By the way, a bump is when you post again to ask for responses, like you did in your first thread. It definitely doesn't help you to get responses, and mods consider it annoying.
HEY THERE MOUSEMONKEY
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
June 10, 2011 5:46:26 AM

ok the 95gt is about 20 percent more powerful but that is a misnomer as there both very week cards. and no its not worth the price of the upgrade. your talking maybe 20 fps at minimum extra eye candy, yes the game may run smoother but it will still look poor. and at near 50 pounds you can get so much better for just 20 pounds more...
if your thinking minimum then look at a gts 240 or gts 250 there not exepencive and they will at least allow you to play your games with some eye candy on.
m
l
June 10, 2011 2:32:46 PM

HEXiT said:
ok the 95gt is about 20 percent more powerful but that is a misnomer as there both very week cards. and no its not worth the price of the upgrade. your talking maybe 20 fps at minimum extra eye candy, yes the game may run smoother but it will still look poor. and at near 50 pounds you can get so much better for just 20 pounds more...
if your thinking minimum then look at a gts 240 or gts 250 there not exepencive and they will at least allow you to play your games with some eye candy on.

I know they are both weak but coming from the integrated Nforce6150se card (the card in my old pc), I think they are both much better. My game is beautiful and on highest settings, its just the staggering that just recently started happening after adding an expansion pack. So I lowered the settings to medium with no difference. I already have the 95gt which is why I was considering replacing the 5450 with it. If I actually had money, I would definately buy the GT430. Since I already have the 95gt and its pretty much new-I figured I could get use out of that money I already spent and since I will be swapping psu's, I figured I could swap video cards if it will help the performance. When I did use the gt, I loved it-it made my game soooo fast and sooo smooth and that was in my old crappy computer..

I will be able to get a new card maybe within the next week or so and my price range is around $60-75 but I think I will try the 95gt and see if it atleast improves the game performance a little,then decide if I want to buy a new one. I dont care for "sick" graphics..I mean, its only the Sims 3 lol..but I do like having quality pictures when I take them in-game and of course good performance.

Either way, are there some suggestions for a better card than the 430 in that price range? I usually purchase from newegg.

I was thinking something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
June 10, 2011 2:36:39 PM

kajabla said:
By the way, a bump is when you post again to ask for responses, like you did in your first thread. It definitely doesn't help you to get responses, and mods consider it annoying.
HEY THERE MOUSEMONKEY

Like I said, I had no idea..my friggin bad geez ..just trying to get some help here..wasnt trying be annoying and I thought it was a little over the top to completely close my thread so I couldnt get any help at all..

Anyways, do you actually have any suggestions or did you just want to come on here to remind me that im a noob and call me annoying? :sarcastic: 
m
l
June 10, 2011 4:16:56 PM

sgoheen08 said:
Like I said, I had no idea..my friggin bad geez ..just trying to get some help here..wasnt trying be annoying and I thought it was a little over the top to completely close my thread so I couldnt get any help at all..

Anyways, do you actually have any suggestions or did you just want to come on here to remind me that im a noob and call me annoying? :sarcastic: 

Rules are rules, there's a lot of bumping on these threads and it gets pretty problematic. Not being aware of the rules (or claiming so) therefore can't be a valid excuse or everyone would say that. Obeying and understanding the rules was part of the terms and conditions you signed when you joined this website.

That being said, it's time to move on. You're the one asking for others' time here, so it pays to be polite :) 
m
l
June 10, 2011 4:32:04 PM

PandaJohn said:
Rules are rules, there's a lot of bumping on these threads and it gets pretty problematic. Not being aware of the rules (or claiming so) therefore can't be a valid excuse or everyone would say that. Obeying and understanding the rules was part of the terms and conditions you signed when you joined this website.

That being said, it's time to move on. You're the one asking for others' time here, so it pays to be polite :) 

wow, why are we still on the bumping issue?! I read the rules entirely but maybe the rules should be more specific about what "bumping" is because all it says is that "bumping is not allowed"..how on earth am I supposed to know what bumping is if Ive never been to this forum before?

Anyways, Im not trying to be rude and I appreciate all the help Ive gotten so far. All im saying is, couldnt he have given me a warning? No, he just closed my thread and didnt even try to help me.

If nobody wants to help me and instead post why my thread got closed then there is no reason for me to come back here. It seems like you are all blowing it way out of proportion and wont even help me out. I just dont understand, I help people out no matter how much they "bump" threads and scream loud and obnoxious outbursts because I have a helpful heart and I always try to help people out no matter how mean or nasty they are. But of course, I can never get the same in return. I didnt feel like I was being that way at all but thanks Hexit for your help. To the others: no thanks at all. :pfff: 
m
l
!